*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:48:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132953 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: *DAMN BL Mappack 2.0: Problems / Bug Reports  (Read 6201 times)
Revolt

Death is certain, Life is not!!

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2004, 01:39:27 am »

That is true ara, but the same could be said about the small river map which people spawn in the waterfall and its basically instant death from there...Or Red Square when you spawn towards the south east, and your enemy spawns to the northeast... All maps have spawns with advantages and disadvantages....No matter if its the map packs or the original maps...
So in essence, ever game is a roll of the dice... But the real problem, is not the maps, but the spawn points... I am not saying ever map is perfect, cause lets face it, its ghost recon and not a perfect port.. Simple solution is to do like we did last season on that map pack and change spawns accordingly...Sab, Bigtex, and you all can change em as you see fit... I have been busy with work and I have not had the chance the fix them... If you guys could figure out spawns that would be equal for all, Please do so...  

In the end it's not who's right, but what's right... And if spawns are at not equal.. All we have to do is make em so they are!!

Very valid points are made in this post and it's not a flame thread, just a way to make our league better!! we can all agree on that...

Smiley Roll Eyes

[01] Revolt?
Acri

I swat flies with a hammer. Redundant?

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2004, 09:08:42 am »

Aramarth, if you are referring to Prison, I can assure you it had nothing to do with the spawns. It had to do with several hours of tactical training on that map. We actually cursed because we got the bad spawn points.

And yeah, Reservoir is a deadlock for some spawns if you think inside the box but so are all other maps. The standard urban GhR-map has 1-3 to the three exits from each spawn point, almost always they lead to a shared middle. You can deadlock any map with limited movement.

In my opinion, Reservoir is a map where players get to show what they are made off. If you play Domination, it is even more of a test. That is why I felt cocky and picked Reservoir Domination. Not because I wanted to take advantage of uneven spawns, but simply to rub my team's skill in your face. Ironically, we did the most basic screw up and got totally owned. Serves me right. At any rate, Reservoir Domination is, in my honest opinion, a very tactical map and a lot of elements require lots of team and gunning skills. Sure, I object a bit to the spawn points, but what can you do?

What I can see is that these maps are harder than the old maps for a reason: There are no clich?es! On maps like Embassy, every clan does the same thing. When people are shown new maps, they will actually sit down and develop brand new and hopefully unique tactics. Maybe it will rub off on some older maps and breathe new life into maps like Embassy?

And further more... what the... Oh my god! You sunk Portugal!
Aramarth
Forum Whore

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2004, 04:56:18 pm »

if you are referring to Prison, I can assure you it had nothing to do with the spawns.
I did not actually recall prison to mind. I don't even want to talk about prison, as it was a map that half my clan had never played. Btw, don't try to talk to me about trying new maps, I'm the guy who loves Ravine and Wilderness. Wink
The standard urban GhR-map has 1-3 to the three exits from each spawn point, almost always they lead to a shared middle. You can deadlock any map with limited movement.
Some of them sure. What about maps like wilderness or battlefield? Some of the spawns have no bottlenecks whatsoever. These are the maps for domination, not maps which revolve around the control of doorways. There is a fatal flaw present in being able to win by watching doors! I once proposed a mod similar to domination... it solved this problem, while dom does not. You lose in dom by merely being there, as points accumulate. One team can win by holding only 3/5 of the map!
In my opinion, Reservoir is a map where players get to show what they are made off. If you play Domination, it is even more of a test. That is why I felt cocky and picked Reservoir Domination. Not because I wanted to take advantage of uneven spawns, but simply to rub my team's skill in your face. Ironically, we did the most basic screw up and got totally owned.
Hmm, screw up being we trapped you underground. That adds weight to my point. In either case, if you were trying to rub your ability in our face, why did you do it by picking maps on which one team or the other was trapped at their spawn? I don't care how good you are, you show me how it is even possible to win if you spawn underground on reservior. Not to mention, I found a dedust style glitch on the thing.

Sure, I object a bit to the spawn points, but what can you do?
What can we do? Move the spawn points, as was done before. However, the maps are still very compartmentalized (if you know what that means), and thus either side can be trapped without an exit in a heartbeat.

When people are shown new maps, they will actually sit down and develop brand new and hopefully unique tactics.
Totally backwards. There was nothing new in your tactics, it was just a new place to put them. Get to the doorways before they do and nade the door... yeah real genius. It just doesn't agree with me when you can section the opposing team into a small area with minimal effort. This doesn't happen on just the new maps, red square is a good example of the same thing from the old list.

For a better example of what I mean, think of seige on vilnius. The defense gets the spawn where the .50 cals are. I rarely if ever saw an offense succeed, because it is so obvious how to stuff up the few entrances. Now take this, change it to domination and invert it, such that the defense must get out before the offense has too many domination points to be overcome and the offense is covering the exits. Sounds like absolute murder, and that is what I am trying to combat in several maps. I don't care how much skill you think it takes to run to 3 locations on the map and train your gl on a door, I think it creates sh**ty gameplay. It is pretty hard to call the winner every time you spawn on a map, but I did so every time we played certain maps in that cb.

What I can see is that these maps are harder than the old maps for a reason: There are no clich?es!
I argue the exact opposite, these new maps are easier, given certain spawns, not harder. They are maps more suitable for raven shield, like the counterstrike they came from. Heck, just imagine how cheesy raven would be with an oicw/gl. Indoor maps are destroyed gameplay-wise when you introduce grenade launchers and the instant knowledge of your enemy's spawn (courtesy of your map and the dom smoke). Ghost recon should really be played on maps with rolling hills and broken terrain (2.0 maps anyone?), leaving buildings to raven. How many of the cd released ghost missions, after all, are on small maps?

The wOOt is your friend. Trust the wOOt.

The worst part of being an admin is trying to remember to color your text every time... Wink
I own the former VT supercomputer node 177 wOOt! http://www.tcf.vt.edu/
Acri

I swat flies with a hammer. Redundant?

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2004, 04:07:00 pm »

Very interesting post, Aramarth. I must agree with you that rolling hills and broken terrain is indeed very fun. Cave is a very nice map, imo, however the spawns are a bit odd. Not to mention z][t's passion for Tank Cheesy

And further more... what the... Oh my god! You sunk Portugal!
Aramarth
Forum Whore

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2004, 05:40:40 pm »

Shocked Oh my goodness, he just agreed with me... Shocked

The wOOt is your friend. Trust the wOOt.

The worst part of being an admin is trying to remember to color your text every time... Wink
I own the former VT supercomputer node 177 wOOt! http://www.tcf.vt.edu/
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads