*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:20:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: GhR 2 PC-Version CANCELLED - GhR 3 announced!  (Read 32023 times)
Civrock
*DAMN Supporter ][ *DAMN Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« on: April 12, 2005, 08:12:42 am »

Ghost Recon 2 is dead, Long Live Ghost Recon!

quote from the Ubisoft forums:

UbiRazz - UK Community Manager

posted 11 Apr 2005 11:56 AM

"This decision was not an easy one.

We did not want to disappoint the loyal Ghost Recon fans, but we did not want to risk releasing a final product that did not meet their high expectations. With the launch of Ghost Recon 3 planned for Winter 2005, significant human resources were needed to ensure the quality of the future instalment of the series, thus potentially jeopardizing the quality of either Ghost Recon 2 PC or Ghost Recon 3. Taking into account their close release dates, and the fact that we felt the third opus would be a much more satisfying and evolved gaming experience, we were forced to conclude that it was in the interest of gamers for us to cancel the PC version of Ghost Recon 2. But Ghost Recon 3 on PC will hit shelves the fourth quarter of 2005, so the wait won’t be long, and will definitely be worth it."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I realise that this isn't a very nice thing to happen at all, and feel free to vent here, but please don't let your emotions get carried away with yourself. Anyone who breaks the forum rules could find their posts are removed.

HangtownSOG - Ubisoft Community Manager

posted 11 Apr 2005 12:06 PM

Sorry for the bad news, folks. I am happy to know that there is commitment to GR3 PC.

heh, what shall i say to that... everybody saw it coming once Ghost Recon 3 got announced. people complained that Ghost Recon 2 would of sucked on the PC because its 3rd person view and i personally hope GhR 3 will be back to the first person view that everyone wants.
and the 3rd person/over the shoulder view wasn't the only reason it sucked on consoles already... it is a linear arcadey POS. far from the tactical realism that we all know and love in GhR 1.

unfortunately of course, no word about a Mac-Version yet. and also, i hope they drop the HAVOC engine, which has no Mac-support, and use something more Mac-friendly. <dreaming> maybe even a PC/Mac-Version release at the same time, heh... like First To Fight. </dreaming>

i wouldn't really bet on anything about the GhR 3 release, though... UBI has alot of work to do in proving to the PC crowd that they still know what we want, though it's obvious that they have somewhat of a clue because they knew to drop the GhR 2 release, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up until i see some solid information on the release of Ghost Recon 3.

COME ON UBISOFT! Smiley
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 03:20:22 am by z][t-Civic™ » Logged

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
c| Lone-Wolf
*DAMN Staff
Forum Whore

Frog blast the vent core!

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 10:07:46 am »

No way they're going to bail on the HAVOK engine.  Ive never touched a game that's based on it, but something tells me that it's going to be a major player in the game engine scene for a long time.  Add into that the fact that GhR 2's dev. team is already used to HAVOK, I dont see a reason why they would touch anything else, unless someone puts a gun to their collective heads. 

If memory serves, wasnt Valve asking something like 1 million from the mac company that ported HAVOK?  Bah, is all i have to say.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 10:31:51 am by c| Lone-Wolf » Logged

Quote from: (SiX)Sheixhundt
Air is a mechanism of control.
and i reject it.

They cant hit me from all the way over the-
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 10:19:51 am »

Lone im not sure - doesn't it depend a bit on what they decide about the Game engine - if i remember rightly GhR2 is running a heavily modified and updated version of the original GhR Game engine (which was built to spec)  ... If if they moved to a licened engine say just as an example the UT2004 engine then they'd not need the likes of havok.

.... that said i think your probably right lone - given the fact they have used it before - and because it is just what you need for a game like GhR then im guessing they'll be using it.... 

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
c| Lone-Wolf
*DAMN Staff
Forum Whore

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 10:31:27 am »

GhR 2 ran on a super modded version of the GhR engine?  I thought it ran on Havok.  Huh, well, i stand corrected then.

It would be lovely if they used an engine that already exists Mac side, but i guess all we can do is hope. (And look angry looks at Valve for having such an outrageous asking price for Havok)

and i reject it.

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 10:48:37 am »

Aah to different things there mate.  the Havok engine is a physics engine and thats very different from a full game engine, you still need your game engine for everything else Smiley So your Havok engine can make your characters fall over realistically - your jeep fly through the air properly etc, but you need your Game engine to provide the environment for it to happen in - the ground for the jeep to land on etc.

c| Lone-Wolf
*DAMN Staff
Forum Whore

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 10:59:44 am »

Well fine then, i stand -doubly- correctly.  Geeze BFG, you nitpicker. Wink

Anyway, now all has been made clear to me.  Thank ya.

and i reject it.

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 11:06:18 am »

hehe sorry mate, just spreading the love pain geek knowledge type thingy Wink

Thinking about games for a moment etc though... i was just looking at up-and-coming releases for the Mac and its pretty damn shocking! Yes there is Close Combat First to fight / Red Phoenix.. and Black Hawk Down Team Sabre (dosn't really count as an addon) and there is the Sims2 in the distance... but apart from that there really isn't any "big games" that we know about that are coming this way -  Doom has just arrived which is great  but given just how many games are coming out for the PC all the time,  the current list of notable games expected for mac in 2005 is about 15  ... thats pretty damn shocking.

Civrock

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 11:11:53 am »

if i'd only be a millionaire... i'd buy that fucker (aka HAVOC license) and donate it to the mac company, just to get us Ghost Recon 3 for Mac. Wink

*back to praying*

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 11:20:01 am »

Is anything at all actually known about GhR3 other than the aproximate release date  ... its so soon im kinda guessing that its going to be running the same graphics engine, same havok reliance, same lack of appearance on mac.

*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 11:22:53 am »

Civic if you are a damn millionaire let's get together a group of excellent game coders and create a game according to our own wishes  Wink

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
Civrock

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 11:43:43 am »

Is anything at all actually known about GhR3 other than the aproximate release date  ... its so soon im kinda guessing that its going to be running the same graphics engine, same havok reliance, same lack of appearance on mac.

probably... but according to the announcement they're going to improve quite a few things that got really bad critics from gamers and possibly add something totally new also. i'm personally pretty sure that they'll go back to the first-person view... the third-person view in GhR2 was a big "bite into the toilet" (Griff ins Klo), as we use to say here. Wink

Civic if you are a damn millionaire let's get together a group of excellent game coders and create a game according to our own wishes Wink

oh man, Mauti... i'd LOVE to! one day...

*DAMN Elandrion
Global Moderator
Forum Whore

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 03:02:27 pm »

sorry to bust it for you, but according to the Havok site GhR 2 uses their engine: http://www.havok.com/clients/redstorm_ghostRecon2.php

*DAMN Elandrion - another *DAMN Austrian!
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 03:08:44 pm »

Yeah elan - but its only a Physics engine - Havok isn't a complete Game engine... is it??

*DAMN Elandrion
Global Moderator
Forum Whore

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005, 03:13:28 pm »

yep, its only the physics engine. It may have used an upgraded GhR engine for the gfx, menus, ... though

*DAMN Elandrion - another *DAMN Austrian!
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2005, 06:43:44 pm »

If GhR3 uses UE3 (Unreal Engine 3 : Already being developed on both mac and PC simultaneously) then it will use the physics built right into the new UE.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
"Sixhits"
*DAMN Supporter
Forum Whore

Monkey see, monkey do

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2005, 01:06:29 am »

http://www.ghostrecon.com/us/

This decision was not an easy one. We did not want to disappoint the loyal Ghost Recon fans, but we did not want to risk releasing a final product that did not meet their high expectations. With the launch of Ghost Recon 3 planned for Winter 2005, significant human resources were needed to ensure the quality of the future instalment of the series, thus potentially jeopardizing the quality of either Ghost Recon 2 PC or Ghost Recon 3. Taking into account their close release dates, and the fact that we felt the third opus would be a much more satisfying and evolved gaming experience, we were forced to conclude that it was in the interest of gamers for us to cancel the PC version of Ghost Recon 2. But Ghost Recon 3 on PC will hit shelves the fourth quarter of 2005, so the wait won’t be long, and will definitely be worth it.

fucking cunts

"Perhaps, the most important thing to remember about that which we are faced with: Fascism, at its core, is a fraud. It promises the triumphal resurrection of the nation, and delivers only devastation. Strength without wisdom is a chimera, resolve without competence a travesty."
core.Sinister

Check your six!!

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 11:02:10 am »

Its not gonna be UE3 it isnt out till late 06 and wont be licensed out untill early 07.
Brutha
Forum Whore

Assumption is the brother of all fuck ups

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2005, 01:32:31 pm »

hehe, thats all I can say.

Act beautifully, not dutyfully!
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2005, 11:16:59 pm »

Also good news for this community about UE3 & GhR3 for mac is that the developer tools for UE3 are also going to be ported... also already started. This means that we will be able to do some amazing things with the game unlike prior games.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
Civrock

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2005, 11:43:14 pm »

GhR3 won't use UE3. to be more exact, no game will until approximately 2007.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads