*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:18:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A Vote For the Future of the Battle League...  (Read 15086 times)
BTs_GhostSniper
God save the Royal Whorealots

SUA SPONTE

« on: January 15, 2006, 03:57:37 pm »

Okay, this is a vote for all members of the *DBL Community to help the admins decide if this would be a good thing to get the BL active again.  Right now we just want to know if it is something the clans would be willing to do.  $25 for each clan would probably break down to a few dollars per clan member, but the rewards for winning could be very nice depending on how many clans signed up.  Ideas for prizes have included buying the clan an AA Server for a set amount of time, Paying out cash to the winners, and buying clan members a mac game.

If we decide to do this system of "Pay to Play", we will probably only offer it on ladders that have some kind of anti-cheat software, such as America's Army and Raven Shield.

So, let us know what you think!
[/size]

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
core.Flies

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 04:09:32 am »

Mercy Kill  ?

Ghostsniper....right now this league - (along with the community ?) - is dying.
Take a look at the activity everywhere, and compare it to last year, and the year before.

introducing a money-factor would be devastating.

The handling perspective.
Amount doesnt matter, But think of all the obsticles you create, by asking a clan to do a combined attribution. How should they transfer the money ? Would all the clanmembers be able to transfer money through the internet to a clanleader, that should vollect all the money and then send it to you ?
And afterewards....If they win, how do they distribute the gains ?

The fiscal perspective.
The higher you make the winner-prize, the lesser you make the original motivation for gaming.
Example :
Lets say you managed to announce a 1.st winnerprize worth of 100 dollars.
Wouldnt it be pretty obvious to all, that the hours invested in gaming suddenly became measurable with the hours they spend on making money for their living + and wouldnt it be pretty obvious that if the focus is money, they would be best off earning money in the offline world ?

What i mean is, that if you open the door called financial motivation for gaming, your prizes would have to be extremely high, in order to secure some online activity.
In the PeeCee world only very few competitions survive upon the money-based perspecitve.
"best 3 clans win a Ferrari and 20.000 dollars" in Counterstrike....you know, stuff like that.

The perspective of honor and good sportsmanship
When I am participating in all this stuff, its a little like the Olympics.
Giving money to the winners would be like killing all my real reasons to be here in the first place.
For every step i and my clan take, we would suddenly be vulnerable to accusations like "they are only in it for the money" and we would sit there practising with a feeling that noone would understand our real motives anymore, and heck...we wouldnt understand why we are her ourselves either.

All in all :

If you want to mercy kill this league : Bring in the money

If you want it to survive : Bring in something else

Best regards
| ! |  Flies

...Or would this just be the action that finally scared of the last 8-10 dedicated funplayers ?

« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 04:12:41 am by core.Flies » Logged
Macuber

"GUSTATUS SIMILIS PULLUS"

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 04:35:40 am »

I agree with you Flies 100%. Besides.. doesn't the Game Makers provide $$ for tourneys and such? Something else needs to be brought into DBL to liven it up.. not a pay as you go.

"Is it true that cannibals won't eat clowns because they taste funny?"
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 04:51:00 am »

That's a good perspective from both of you...right now we are just trying to come up with solutions to bring the gaming back to life.  So, do you guys have any suggestions for alternative ways of making the BL come alive again?[/size]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 05:16:55 am by BTs_GhostSniper » Logged

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
BTs_Mysterio

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 07:17:11 am »

My main concern with the idea is just that clans who don't have a chance of taking top prize won't go in for the reason of loss. I would just say don't push the DBL until after the world tourney and see how the community does with that. To bring back a new season right now may kill both.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
:V: Stripes

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 01:01:59 pm »

hmm  - play for money (interesting)..

All i really wan't is some kind of Tournament instead of a season, it doesn't work - the season is only about activity. a Tournament would be good, for both GhR and RvS as we had once. A Succes...?

Regards,
Stripes

--------------------------------
Stripes (ViRuS Clan Predator)
stripes@virus-clan.com
--------------------------------
GeT iNfEcTeD!!!
http://www.virus-clan.com
http://www.virus-clan.org
http://www.team-virus.org
:MoD:Shade
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 04:46:46 pm »

Already know my stance on this but I'll repeat.

Admins can do nothing, activity for Mac gaming in general is declining and money won't bring them back to old games like GhR and RvS that people probably don't want to return to.

Ride it out.

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 08:23:16 pm »

Because of the nature of this thread i'd like to keep it straight and narrow on the subject in hand.  Off topic posts will be deleted.

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
[a] kitkat

I've got tone...

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 04:00:51 am »

I would love to play for money!!!  I will shell out $25 right now for a chance to win or loose.  Just give me an account number/paypal and ~Po~ will pay right now.

I think this is a great idea.   clapping hands
[:] Mr. T

STFU

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 09:29:50 pm »

I voted no. I agree with many of the fairness and implementation issues mentioned above. I also already paid for my computer, paid for the game, pay for my team's site and pay every month for my fast internet connection. I don't want to pay any more... even if I had the chance to win it back and then some.

Has *DAMN considered finding a sponsor(s) for the site? I appreciate the fact that there aren't any banner ads, but if selling ad space ment that *DAMN could then offer up actual awards (cash, prizes, etc.) I wouldn't mind. It would be a real benefit. I run a site that brings in about $25 a month in just Google ads. If you were to set that up or even offer paid ad placement then there'd be some revenue to play with. Of course, you'd have to open it up to more relevant and recent games, but at least the community would stay alive.

In my day job I lead the design and development of large corporate websites including many community sites. One of the important tenents that we always preach to our clients is that in order for their communies to stay active and alive they must stay relevant and up to date. *DAMN is dieing by refusing to innovate. It's become the record store in an dowloadable MP3 environment. The Atari 2600 to the PSP. The CRT to the flat screen monitor. The... oh whatever. You get what I'm saying.

If *DAMN was to show some promise of getting back to what's revelant in Mac gaming today -- not just charging me to compete in a ladder for some 5 year old game -- then I might be more inclined to support it.

[:] Special Forces Clan [:] http://www.specialforcesclan.org
ghost.fr

http://monks.4yu.fr

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 08:14:25 pm »

right now we are just trying to come up with solutions to bring the gaming back to life.  [/size]

i guess first we need players and they all have left GAME RANGER !!!!

So the problem is somewhere else !!! not in gaming  !!! not in DAMN league but Actualy in GR

SO lets wait and see
Kangaroo

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 10:08:53 pm »

So the problem is somewhere else !!! not in gaming  !!! not in DAMN league but Actualy in GR

SO lets wait and see

Constructive comments as always... Roll Eyes

p.s. How is that replacement for GR coming that you were attempting to start?
-ViP-PUNiSHER
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 11:37:22 pm »

I believe it was stated that next season will be played under the current elo point system and I think that is a mistake because that system is one reason why people don't CB anymore.  For Ghost Recon some people don't CB anymore because the current system is about which clan can CB the most ends up winning the season and some clans know they can't get on GR and CB as many times as other clans.

Change this by guranteeing there will be a finals weekend and then have a season schedule where every clan must CB against the other clans in the league at least twice in a 1 week's period.  For instance the schedule would say clan "A" and clan "B" must CB twice between Feb. 1st thru the 7th.  This way every clan has its weekly schedule layed right out in front of them and every clan will CB against the other clans 2 times.  There's no more CB-ing one clan 8 times in a season and another clan 1 time, you CB them twice and then you move on to your next opponent.  If neither clan CB's in their one week period it could count as a tie on their records.  If you have an odd number of clans signed up you could even have a "bye" week for each clan during the season.  Then have the top 4 clans of the regular season CB in the DBL Finals.

This not only brings organization to a season, it allows every clan to CB the same clans the same number of times.  You no longer will have a clan during the season that CB's 20 times and one that only CB's 5 times.  Also institute a Hall of Fame where not only the clan name is listed but the people who played for that clan are listed too.  This might not be the best solution for every game but I think its an improvement upon the current system.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 11:41:42 pm by =US=PUNiSHER » Logged
*DAMN Hazard
God bless the freaks

Where is the knowledge we lost with information?

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 03:27:24 am »

This kind of thing attracts the older gamers but pushes away the youngsters who can't get ahold of a credit card or the cash. Also some people just oppose paying to play games and other leagues that offer free gaming will emerge.

Maybe try this out for the FFA ladder? I think that's better cause you don't have to split the money with anyone cause if I put down cash and my teammate fucked it up it would be over.

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."
~ Einstein
PandabeaR

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006, 08:52:20 pm »

I would rather put my money together with other mac people for a nice deticated server.
ghost.fr

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 12:18:02 am »

SO lets wait and see

Constructive comments as always... Roll Eyes

p.s. How is that replacement for GR coming that you were attempting to start?

Well will see how and if anyone in this league will be good anouth to "construct" something !!!
Cause solution will not come from the league but from new games and new GR politics

and about GR its still beeing on his way, many test as been done and Data base is working fine, the score system also and the irc (easy) also the terminal script to start a game is ok but bugy and without any help from industry makers its slow but its working
waterproof

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2006, 11:01:05 pm »

Hey ghost let me know what you been doing... meybe i can help?Huh

**Its not only a game its a fucking adventure**
ghost.fr

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2006, 12:13:51 am »

i'm doing not allot its pydo and maco that are mostly doing stuff and i'm sure soon they may need some help
Kangaroo

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2006, 10:05:36 pm »

Your progress on your new game browser had me looking back at how triage are doing with igame....well it looks like they have given up and instead produced an incredible piece of software that is a "Recipe Manager"  lol
BTs_Mysterio

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2006, 02:07:55 am »

Your progress on your new game browser had me looking back at how triage are doing with igame....well it looks like they have given up and instead produced an incredible piece of software that is a "Recipe Manager"  lol

Actually Triage stopped iGame development due conflicting views on what it should be, however the project did spawn iGuard which is a good thing. Obviously you guys are ignoring BFG's red warning text, and so am I, so I'll add something on topic.

Perhaps *DAMN should try something new... you know, not just the same old stuff with new point systems, but find some great new sparkly thing. [Don't look at me like I should know]

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads