*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 03:26:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  *DAMN
| | |-+  Suggestions, opinions, criticisms,.. (Moderators: *DAMN Mauti, jn.loudnotes, BFG, Civrock)
| | | |-+  Suggestion: Moderation Procedure
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Suggestion: Moderation Procedure  (Read 11814 times)
alaric
Forum Whore

What good is life if you don't have freedom?

« on: February 20, 2004, 10:23:07 am »

I suggest that it be against moderator policy to delete posts or delete content from posts unless it's found absolutely neccessary. If it's off-topic, offensive, spam, flames, or whatever, just lock it and move it to a publicly accessible impound area where all can view it but not reply to it.

I've found this system works well on other forums (ex Something Awful Forums). This way there is a place people can look to know what not to post and it ensures that there is plenty of evidence to levy against someone who is consistantly a n00b. It also provides a forum with history, a deleted post is deleted history. For all intents and purposes the deleted post or portion of a post never existed.

Just my two cents.

"I would rather have incompetence and abuse of power than a group of people who want to bow down to the French and the United Nations." - BTs Ghostsniper, June 17, 2004, 01:44:16 PM
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 09:36:01 am »

I've seen that done here Alaric, and it didn't work well.  

You don't want to lock a thread, just because someone flamed it, and if you leave the flames, that just starts more shit.  

Many are moved to an area where all the Admins can see them, but I prefer leaving a message so that the person that made the post, and others, can see that crap is trimmed if it gets out of hand.  But as long as the post is left public, it's just encouraging people to respond (nothing stops them from starting new threads to continue locked ones, if you haven't noticed.)

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
alaric
Forum Whore

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 01:24:59 am »

Bucc, a ban would stop them from posting additional flames. Just make it policy to ban anyone who continues a flame from a locked thread. Doesn't have to be a long ban, but a more liberal banning policy with a preserved history is much more desireable to me than a place that edits it's own history.

Somebody goes to far: Slap them with a ban.

Somebody opens a flame topic: Slap them with a ban.

Somebody won't let an already resolved issue rest: Slap them with a ban.

Somebody's being a dick: Slap them with a ban.

But most importantly, leave the evidence of what they've done available so others can learn from their mistakes. Not only does deleting the evidence take away the ability to point and say "Here, this is what got them banned." but it reduces the authority and respectability of the admins who are then seen as banning without evidence or without reason.

A private section does no good in a situation like this, it only opens the door for people to cry foul. A good example of this is rapid. Now, obviously, everyone who's been around here a while knows the situation with rapid. However, he's still around, and I can't help but think that he'd be gone if there was a large  body of evidence showing the history of what's happened here.

Covering up the misdeed of anyone, for any reason, is wrong. Unless there is a way for people to see and be reminded of the past, it might as well have never happened. I seriously doubt anyone here would argue in favor of removing hitler from the history books because it could fan the flames of neo-anti-semitism.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 01:43:28 am by alaric » Logged

"I would rather have incompetence and abuse of power than a group of people who want to bow down to the French and the United Nations." - BTs Ghostsniper, June 17, 2004, 01:44:16 PM
Typhy
God save the Royal Whorealots

Woot

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 01:56:11 am »

Alaric,

Personally, I can't fault anyone for wanting to respond to a flame post directed at them. If a moderator moves that post to an area where it can be viewed, but not replied to, then it only inspires the person who was provolked to carry flames into another thread.

Example:

Posted by Alaric: "Fuck off, you stupid fucking dipshit. I didn't camp in a fucking window at Peaks for the entire third match of our CB. You're just disapoitned because you and your stupid ass clan lost the CB. Go to hell."

Moderator moves the post to an area where I can view it but not reply to it. After reading this post, I'd be pretty pissed off at Alaric, and wanting to get in a response. Am I really at fault for making my response in the soonest avalible thread that Alaric is debating in?

I see a real-forum example of this in Rapid's post ( which is now stored out of your eyes, and for good reason ), I myself would've responded to it, seeing as it was directed at my clan. Snipe would've responded to it because it was directed at him, and the other 4 dozen people would've responded to it, telling Rapid what a dumbass he is.

Anyone who saw that post, but wasn't able to reply would be justified in wanting to start a thread bitching at Rapid for it.  

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
alaric
Forum Whore

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 02:11:05 am »

Anyone who saw that post, but wasn't able to reply would be justified in wanting to start a thread bitching at Rapid for it.  

No, they wouldn't. Because the situation would have been resolved already. And what should have happened in the case your talking about is rapid should have been banned and anybody responding to rapid should have been banned. It's that simple. That way, everybody knows what rapid did to deserve that ban.

And in response to your first example, yes, you are at fault for making your response in the soonest availble thread and you should recieve a ban/warning for your childish actions (theoretically speaking here).

The only way to hold people accountable for their actions is to make their actions permanant and public.

Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 07:34:17 am »

I gotta go with Alaric on this one. However, to implement it would first require two changes: first, a codified set of rules covering what a flame is, as well as what offenses are ban-worthy and definitions of those offenses. Second, moderators who are authorized to ban, and who are punished if they perform a spurious ban. The public records of the offense would make the legitimacy of a ban easy to verify. Additionally, it may be wise to institute a rule that if a moderator has participated in a thread, they may not act as moderator in that thread.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 06:03:14 am »

And since moderators don't have the ability to ban, only the admin, there goes that idea.  

Also, it would require that all members were registered, something Mauti said he didn't want to do for lots of reasons when it was brought up before.

Additionally, it may be wise to institute a rule that if a moderator has participated in a thread, they may not act as moderator in that thread.

That's one guideline that already exists, even if it wasn't always followed.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 06:05:46 am by |MP|Buccaneer » Logged

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 01:07:09 am »

Is the inability of mods to ban an inherent limitation in YaBB? That seems unlikely to me.

I agree that guest access is a good thing overall, so in place of bans, aggressive deletion of guest offenses would work.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
c| Splinter

[the_co||ective]

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 03:51:38 am »

Only Admins of the forums (aka Mauti) have the ability to ban other players.  Moderators can only edit and delete threads.  It's how YaBB is setup.

"oh no, here's come's the death."
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2004, 02:04:47 pm »

I see. That's a shame. I guess Rapid stays.

cO.gabe

<< Auto Away Message >>

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2004, 08:11:00 pm »

Banning people for flames might work....but if you think about it, scotty kevill bans people (golo, snipey, etc.) for impersonation, pr0n, and a variety of other things, but that doesn't stop them from coming right back and doing it again.  In fact, I think it may actually motivate certain individuals to do it.  Its the "Hey i bet i can get a longer ban than u" game.

On the other hand, mb ittl be different on the forums, considering evill doesn't run them.

Wink

"The day I tried to live, I wallowed in the blood and mud with all the other pigs... And I learned that I was a liar, just like you."
iroc38927

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2004, 06:50:43 pm »

By all means this is not a flame, but I do believe I should say few things about rapid.
1) He talks alot of trash.
2) He cheated in the BL before.
3) He claims he's someone he's not.

(SEALs)
somebody
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2004, 09:44:11 pm »

Bucc, a ban would stop them from posting additional flames. Just make it policy to ban anyone who continues a flame from a locked thread. Doesn't have to be a long ban, but a more liberal banning policy with a preserved history is much more desireable to me than a place that edits it's own history.

Somebody goes to far: Slap them with a ban.

Somebody opens a flame topic: Slap them with a ban.

Somebody won't let an already resolved issue rest: Slap them with a ban.

But most importantly, leave the evidence of what they've done available so others can learn from their mistakes. Not only does deleting the evidence take away the ability to point and say "Here, this is what got them banned." but it reduces the authority and respectability of the admins who are then seen as banning without evidence or without reason.

A private section does no good in a situation like this, it only opens the door for people to cry foul. A good example of this is rapid. Now, obviously, everyone who's been around here a while knows the situation with rapid. However, he's still around, and I can't help but think that he'd be gone if there was a large  body of evidence showing the history of what's happened here.

Covering up the misdeed of anyone, for any reason, is wrong. Unless there is a way for people to see and be reminded of the past, it might as well have never happened. I seriously doubt anyone here would argue in favor of removing hitler from the history books because it could fan the flames of neo-anti-semitism.

1. most people uses games for stressrelief
2. if somebody here follows your "2cents", the forum will be dead
3. if you dont like hot talks you shold go in a tetris forum or a "mother&son" forum
4. if you dont like hot talks dont play first person shooters and leave the web and shot yourself  Grin

my "50 cents" for *lmfao*
alaric
Forum Whore

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2004, 12:42:27 am »

wow, you're dumb.

I'd like to take this time to suggest another rule or requirement of this forum. A basic english/idea comprehension level must be achieved before any potential user is allowed to post here.

Obviously, this coward doesn't understand a word I have said here. And rather than waste my time refuting his unsigned comments only to have my points fall on deaf (and dumb) ears I'm going to play some guitar.

Supernatural Pie
Useless Post-Count Whore
God bless the freaks

"Don't run, you'll only die tired."

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2004, 05:25:38 am »

wow, you're dumb.
A basic english/idea comprehension level must be achieved before any potential user is allowed to post here.

What an amazing idea!!! No sarcasm!!

There could be a timed, online IQ test that must be passed in order for your account to be processed!

That would eliminate 50% of the retards/assholes!

(Oh... but not biases against other languages... Except French Wink )

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti.
BTs_GhostSniper
*DAMN Supporter ][ *DAMN Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2004, 01:04:06 am »

Oh damn, you guys would have to ban me for every post I make.  I just can't help it.  I'm not conceited, I'm just better than all of you Smiley

But on to other news.....I can't believe I'm actually going to say this....but I agree with Alaric on this topic completely.  Very good ideal.

Make it so.

-GhostSniper Out.

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
|?K|*Rapid*
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2004, 10:33:56 am »

A good example of this is rapid. Now, obviously, everyone who's been around here a while knows the situation with rapid. However, he's still around, and I can't help but think that he'd be gone if there was a large  body of evidence showing the history of what's happened here.

Wow alaric.  You have some valid points in some places, but your distorted vision of me still blurs right from wrong.   Especially, since a lot of this "history", is simply manipulated "history" made by these "forum moderators" that delete all the good responses that makes them look bad,  to move the crowd to think like them and think badly of for example, myself.  I have had many, many, many good posts deleted by these "moderators". Especially when I was responding to them, or one of their friends.  You can totally count on your post to be deleted if you made them look dumb "in their forum"(so they think)  That's when I started the whole "Inner Forum Circle" theory, where I mentioned how they protected each other, and helped attacked whoever they came together to disagree with.  

I've never had a problem properly presenting my problems about me or my clan.  It was the flaming, and the allowing of it, was what got me.  And when I finally said fuck it, and fought fire with fire by putting them in their place using their lingo so they could understand, I was viewed as the "bad guy".  What changed my views about these forums, was the poor moderating and abuse of power a lot of these people had.  I've only seen one of those people get properly dealt with, and it was Nixon, when he deleted our clan from the BL for his own personal reasons, that no other moderator agreed with.  He was properly booted and disciplined.  But it was also done on the "hush hush" for some reason.  

The fact all this type of moderating has been going on for as long as I can look back, is a main reason I chose to delete my account from these mickey mouse forums ran by no life geeks that want to make themselves look "l337".  As soon as they're put in their place, they're quick to come here and "cover it up" by deleting posts.  

Hell alaric, if my posts would've never been deleted, *sigh*, I bet a lot of you would be a fan of mine, rather than a stereotyping "hater".

That's the "forums" for ya...   Ran by a couple people that want things viewed their way...   No freedom behind that...

(you can expect some "anti-rapid" flamers flaming crap up here)

Oh yeah, and btw Snipe, you're always so hard up trying to make me look bad misinforming the public with little bs like that quote.  How does this SS look in response to that silly signature with some bs quote that means absolutely nothing, (since you've never beaten me in a CB)
Check out this SS buddy
SNiPE vs Rapid in CB
Now that's something to be proud of.  Not some silly quote that means shit,   you dumb n00b...  (yeah, little things like that flaming signature asking for a non friendly response, which are tolerated around here, is what shouldn't be)
|?K|*Rapid*
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2004, 10:45:26 am »

By all means this is not a flame, but I do believe I should say few things about rapid.
1) He talks alot of trash.

I don't start it, I end it.  You don't see me talking, unless I have to respond to some bs(like this bs you just posted...  misinformed fool probably mistaking me for that n00b rabid)

2) He cheated in the BL before.

Now here's a comment full of shit.  I've never cheated in the BL, or anything for that matter.  I revolve around honor, and carry myself with it.  In fact, the one kid that did cheat and was in my clan, Typhy, was booted for cheating.  

Get your fucking facts straight before you come in here posting, dumbass (sorry, this fucker got me mad)

3) He claims he's someone he's not.

Who the fuck am I claiming to be?  I'm Rapid, leader of the |?K| clan, been in 1 clan, since October 2001.  I've been the lead representative of |?K| clan in these forums, and have been involved in lots of arguements, in which I've always been able to hold my ground np with plain honesty and logic.  

Where the fuck do you get off with these stupid ass claims on me?  Hell, I don't even know, or heard of your ass...   Dumb stereotyping mother fucker...

*sigh*

see what all this manipulative "deleting of posts" have caused?  Certainly has misinformed the public greatly...
Brain
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

Respect: The most important thing you'll ever earn

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2004, 08:03:13 pm »

actually you booted typhy for doing an unsactiond cb if i remember correctly. i'm sure i could find the post where you tell us why if i looked hard enough but i really don't feel like it

"Engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance."  Dr. A. R. Dykes -1976
|?K|*Rapid*
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2004, 10:37:39 pm »

Actually Brain, the time I booted him for that unsanctioned(notice I spelled it right Wink ) CB, was like the 3rd time I booted him, which ended up being permanently.  He has been booted many times from our clan, but I felt it was only right to give him another chance, since he did come up with thinking up AK(which stood for Alaska, lol.  When he turned over leadership to me, I made it |?K| - |?ggressive Killers|)  The time I booted him for cheating, was disciplinary, and since it was vs |CF|, a clan that was thought to be ?SWAT? undercover(if they would've won, they would've "revealed their true identity", but since they lost, they maintained their secrecy...), so I was lenient on that whole ordeal.  If you have any other questions about any other situation/s, I'd be happy to talk it out with you. Thanks for paying attention.  Much appreciated. Wink -|?K|*Rapid*

[/b]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads