*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:28:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132953 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  *DAMN Battle League(*DBL) (Moderators: BTs_Mysterio, *DAMN Hazard, BFG, Civrock, BTs_GhostSniper, ~Po~ TiroFino, [a] LYNX, Phara, mesa)
| | |-+  The draft.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The draft.  (Read 4820 times)
WeedWacker

« on: July 05, 2006, 01:43:12 am »

I was thinking it'd be cool to do in GhR what we do at the gym for pick-up games of basketball.  We'd pick (or vote for) team captains and then do a draft where each captain picks a player who was signed up for the season/tourny.  This will cycle until all players are picked up.  This would ensure a couple of things:  all teams were about the same size (+/- 1 player) and all roughly the same skill level.  Then, before and during the seaseon we'd allow player trades to be arranged by the team captains.  All trades would stop half way through the season to avoid stacking the playoff teams.  After the season ends, the top X players based on Monoman's stat tracker would be in the "pro bowl/all-star game."

Whaddya all think?

WeedWacker's guarantee:  "if I don't kill you within 3 shots, the next one's free."
PUNiSHER™

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 05:48:45 pm »

It would never work Weed, some people would be drafted to teams with players they don't like and also teams would end up getting a mix of Euro-US players that would cause all kinds of CB problems.  I wouldn't want to play for a team that has a bunch of noobs drafted on it either, most people would demand to be traded. 

The Ghr ladder is going to die out after this season, everybody can see its happening already with the lack of CB activity.  Alot of it has to do with "clan hoarding" meaning clans have gotten so large that there isn't many options out there for clan battles, just the same US clan thats on every night to CB.

Maybe the solution should be that we no longer have large clans and all Clans/Teams consist of just 2 players.  No single clan could then have more than 2 players.  Every clan battle would be played CQB style 2 vs 2.  Can you imagine how many 2 man teams could be formed in this Battle League?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 05:58:46 pm by PUNiSHER™ » Logged

WeedWacker

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 06:27:23 pm »

It would never work Weed, some people would be drafted to teams with players they don't like...I wouldn't want to play for a team that has a bunch of noobs drafted on it either...
I expected you to say this.  The point is, noobs would not be drafted...only the better players would be.  If you don't like the team you've been drafted onto you can ask to be traded or leave the league.

WeedWacker's guarantee:  "if I don't kill you within 3 shots, the next one's free."
gsr

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 08:34:47 pm »

That's a good idea Weed.  The PCBs that [a] ran for a while were fun and seemed like a way to attract new people to CB. Perhaps a more informal arrangement (not league/season based) would be easier.

Personally, I think noobs are cool: don't you remember how fun GhR was when it was all new and exciting?  If this game is going to continue, we need new players and they will be, by definition, noobs. We need to encourage noobs, not exclude them.

Punisher makes some good points also regarding the difficult mechanics of setting it up. Note: there is more activity on the challenge board now.
WeedWacker

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 08:51:26 pm »

I was thinking we could have a regular league using drafts with another league similar in concept to a AAA or collegiate league where players prove themselves and gain skills...

Maybe, ultimately, this would just be a fun way to play some tournys...I love playing with new people...

PUNiSHER™

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 09:08:14 pm »

I wouldn't mind trying it for one season but it needs a rule like this to keep some people happy:

- Within the 1st 2 weeks of the season a player may request to be traded, if that player is not traded by the team captain within 3 days he/she may sign with another team of their choice.
To prevent alot of people jumping onto one team there would have to be a team size limit.

If the *DBL was changed to this draft system for every season you could even let team captains trade draft picks for players.  For instance Team Captain Punisher could trade Weedwacker to Team Captain GSR for his 1st round draft pick next season.  Although the team captains would have to stay the same every season unless one team captain resigns, the new owner retains their picks.

Weed this idea may be genious if there were rules like this, there could be a player draft at the start of every season, and then the *DBL would kind of be run like professional sports teams (Without the money of course).

We could even have team owners so people like "Mauti" can own a team and help make personal descions with the team captain.   lol
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 09:20:20 pm by PUNiSHER™ » Logged

WeedWacker

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 09:40:33 pm »

- Within the 1st 2 weeks of the season a player may request to be traded, if that player is not traded by the team captain within 3 days he/she may sign with another team of their choice.
To prevent alot of people jumping onto one team there would have to be a team size limit.
Good idea...so Team Captain WeedWacker could trade player Punisher to Team Captain 357Mag for Brandon.   Sniper

PUNiSHER™

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 10:18:59 pm »

Yea I'm all for it, the current *DBL setup is going dry and this would make it alot better.  I'm sure as hell not playing next season under the current system.  This draft/trade system might bring back some of the old Ghr players that aren't in a clan anymore.

The only downside I see is the Euro/US mix of players on a team which is why your team captain needs to be smart in which players their selecting.

I hope alot of people are in favor of doing something like this, maybe take a league vote on it?  I definately would be one of the 1st in line to be a team captain.

WeedWacker

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 12:59:56 am »

I had originally considered a Euro and American league with the finals between the top teams in each, but I doubt there are that many Euro players.  I guess "Euro" would mean everyone outside of the US. 

Cell

Emo? Are you kidding?

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 05:44:00 pm »

Is there a signing bonus for free agaents?

Well, I see your hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all kinds of ill shit."
Ein

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 07:22:09 pm »

While these are some good ideas...do you really think activity will increase by making the league more complicated with drafting, and repicking teams each season etc.?

If you wish ghr to actually survive the rules should be simplified to make cbing easier... Not made more complicated.

Just my two cents
Ein
WeedWacker

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 09:45:57 pm »

./..If you wish ghr to actually survive the rules should be simplified to make cbing easier... Not made more complicated...

This is actually very simple, we do it all the time at the gym.  The only difference is our draft would be done online but that should be simple.  The whole draft idea is intended to even out the teams and make CBing more competitive and fun.  Heck, we could just do it for tournaments and to entertain ourselves.

ghost.fr

http://monks.4yu.fr

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 10:00:57 pm »

dont ask me to play for ACRI !!! or macuber the rest i dnt mind ;-)
Ein

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 12:37:09 am »

This is a great example of what I meant by making it more difficukt. I'm sure ghost is not the only one who has enemies (for lack of a better word) in the league who they would not feel comfortable playing with. Now if everyone else has biases about who they will play with, how can you sort that out?

I did like the 2 man squad idea to create more clans but I would suggest making it a 4 man squad so that you could do the cb and cqbs. 4 men squads would still limit clan sizes and allow for more clans to be around to cb durring the season.

Ein
WeedWacker

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 01:11:44 am »

This is a great example of what I meant by making it more difficukt. I'm sure ghost is not the only one who has enemies (for lack of a better word) in the league who they would not feel comfortable playing with. Now if everyone else has biases about who they will play with, how can you sort that out?...
Ein
They'd ask to be traded ASAP to another team.

PUNiSHER™

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 01:19:39 am »

I don't know about 4 man squads because thats not much different from the current clans right now.  Most of the clans we have right now only use the same 4 guys for CB's anyway.  I just liked the idea of 2 man teams because more teams would be on the ladder and more to choose from for Clan Battles.  

Warzone could then be played with 2, 3, or 4 teams at once.  Hosting Clan Battles would be so much easier, it could be done like the *DBL FFA, just put up a room "Ghr Clan Battle (2-3 other teams needed)."

Yea it may be strange having one winner in the CB and 3 losers.  So play the 3 & 4 team CB's as an elimination system:  The 1st team eliminated in game 1 is eliminated from the clan battle.  After the 2nd game the next team to be eliminated 1st is eliminated from the clan battle.  Then the final game is played between the remaining 2 teams.  

Points are gained for winning the Clan Battle and participating.    The 1st team eliminated from the CB gets 0.25 points, the next team eliminated gets 0.50 points, the 2nd place team gets 0.75 points, and the winner gets 2 points.  Rewarding the teams that actually play Clan Battles even if they lose.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 01:23:40 am by PUNiSHER™ » Logged

WeedWacker

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2006, 02:13:01 am »

The 1st team eliminated from the CB gets 0.25 points, the next team eliminated gets 0.50 points, the 2nd place team gets 0.75 points, and the winner gets 2 points.  Rewarding the teams that actually play Clan Battles even if they lose.

But some teams would camp (hide) and be rewarded with more points.  I think the 2v2v2v2 is sweet but only the winner should score points.

Macuber

"GUSTATUS SIMILIS PULLUS"

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2006, 05:35:08 am »

Normally I dont't give out Wisdom, but today is Ghost's Special Day! Now here it is Ghost..read it..learn it..use it! Ready??!
 "A closed mouth gathers no foot."

Now back to the topic. Both Weed and Punisher have brought up pretty neat ideas. It's NOT that GHR is dead, from the inactivity, but because of some basic reasons.
1. GameRanger's issues with GHR
2. GameRanger's issues with IntelMacs and GHR
3. Summer (Vacactions with 4th of July)
4. No idea what Mods we're useing for CB's

I'm sure theres more.. but those are some of the top 4 I can think of. This gametype could be a winner. Good ideas Weed and Pun!

"Is it true that cannibals won't eat clowns because they taste funny?"
Monoman
BL Staff

Oh Canada!!

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2006, 06:54:17 am »

The 1st team eliminated from the CB gets 0.25 points, the next team eliminated gets 0.50 points, the 2nd place team gets 0.75 points, and the winner gets 2 points.  Rewarding the teams that actually play Clan Battles even if they lose.

But some teams would camp (hide) and be rewarded with more points.  I think the 2v2v2v2 is sweet but only the winner should score points.

Camping and hiding shouldn't be a problem at the end of the game now that sudden death is part of the warzone gametype. They can camp all they want at the end but everyone can still see them on map.  Grin

Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter.  -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
Cell

Emo? Are you kidding?

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2006, 06:00:03 pm »

Now back to the topic. Both Weed and Punisher have brought up pretty neat ideas. It's NOT that GHR is dead, from the inactivity, but because of some basic reasons.
1. GameRanger's issues with GHR
2. GameRanger's issues with IntelMacs and GHR
3. Summer (Vacactions with 4th of July)
4. No idea what Mods we're useing for CB's

I'm sure theres more.. but those are some of the top 4 I can think of. This gametype could be a winner. Good ideas Weed and Pun!

Ummm I think Macuber nailed it on the head there....for me the first two issues really sent me off in another direction.  Lag in a 5 year old game, that at one time ran perfect is pretty discouraging.  I will throw my hat into the draft as soon as it is fixed...if it isn't already.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 10:38:25 pm by Cell » Logged

Well, I see your hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all kinds of ill shit."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads