*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 12:05:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: hard to CB in season XI when evill BANS 5 tribes !!!!!!!  (Read 14361 times)
ghost.fr

http://monks.4yu.fr

« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2005, 09:43:06 pm »

JUST FOR info it was written in 2004

I just realized after playing Americas Army for the past 6 months that I am banned from GameRanger. That is fine with me, because I think gameranger sucks anyway. What is my problem with gameranger?

1 - Scott Keevil creates spyware, that steals information from the the Mac in which it is installed and reports it back to Gameranger? Information such as your name, Mac login, your computers serial number and your ethernet card number among other things.

2 - I don't like how gameranger autoupdates without my permission. It is the only Mac software I know that does this. A practice which is widely condemned by devlopers.

3 - Scott uses the information he steals without without your knowledge to permenantly ban users. Instead of just banning your IP address, he bans your ethernet card address which is reported with the spyware.

4 - To maintain a good rapport with the Software companies Scott Keevil reports the personal identity information he stole from your Mac as well as the other information you gave GR when you registered to the Software companies he writes plug-ins for. *If you (like me) value your privacy on the internet, this might upset you.

5 - Scott Keevil is a beggar, who extorts his clients to give money to support his spyware business.

6 - Gameranger itself is not much more than a glorified IRC client. The real GEM about gameranger is the Mac community that uses comes together, provides servers, community tech support etc... The guys hosting the servers are the ones we really should be donating to.
ghost.fr

« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2005, 09:48:11 pm »

MORE FUNNNNNY OLD STUFF

GameSCOUTER

GameRanger is an internet gaming service that allows users to chat and play multiplayer games against each other. At this time, it's the only application of it's kind available on the Macintosh.

The original GameScouter was a quick and dirty RealBASIC client/server application created to chat with other GameRanger members when the GameRanger service was down. It allowed users to chat with each other in multiple chat rooms and also provide users the ability to supply his/her own IP address and as the host of a multiplayer game(a very primitive method of launching games).

When the programmer of GameRanger Scott Kevill found out what I made, he immediately banned me from his service. Confused to why I was banned, I wrote him an email explaining my position, requesting that I be lifted from the ban. He granted this to me. Upon returning to GameRanger, I met a lot of people giving me much verbal abuse, for seemingly unknown reasons. After a bit of investigating, I found that Scott Kevill started a campaign against us.etc.

Seeing the need for an alternative gaming network that encourages free speech, we decided to completely redo GameSCOUTER and build it into a service to compete with GameRanger. Many people upset with Scott's antics volunteered to help out. I completely reprogrammed the server application in C++ and designed to be run 24x7 on a UNIX machine. This new version had user accounts, which was stored in a SQL database. It also had extensive auto-chat flood protection, user-creatable chat rooms, private messages, detailed game listings, and with the help of Graham Wihlidal(a programmer who volunteered to help), we could have an automatic game launching system(without the user having to open the game and try to connect manually to an IP). It was beautiful, it was all coming together.

Of course, as soon as Scott found out about our efforts, he immediately banned me, Graham, every administrator I hired, everyone who helped beta-test our versions, and even some friends of mine who I mentioned in the original version's about box. He even added a rule to his administrators, ordering them to permanently ban users who rallied for free speech. He also prevented GameRanger users from even talking about us by making it so that every time someone mentioned the word 'gamescouter' it would automatically be changed to 'opengl'.

Eventually, I finished the server code, and it worked perfectly through my tests telnetting directly to the server and entering commands manually. I also wrote complete documentation of the server, including the protocol, how the server and client are supposed to interact with each other, what security measures were in place, etc. I also developed the website, which also integrated with the server, giving statistics like who's online, who chats the most, who plays the most games, what games are most popular, etc. It was beautiful, and it was done.

We were originally going to keep the RB client, but we ran into some large limitations and bugs which gave us the need to move to something else. Graham, having prior experience in developing GUI applications in C++ and having the skills to have an actual game launching system, was responsible for developing the client. After little progress, Graham decided that he would design it in OS X using Cocoa and Objective-C. He disappeared, to return a few months later saying that there wasn't enough Apple documentation to fix the bugs he's having with the socket code. So he proposed we move back to C++ and carbon. Then he disappears again, and decides to redo it in Cocoa. And then back again. And so forth, over and over again until everyone just becomes so disenchanted with the project as a whole. Me, being involved in a hundred other projects at the time, simply didn't have enough time to learn the Macintosh toolbox so that I could develop windows with complex controls, mac os socket code, and develop a client(not to mention that I didn't know how to write the game launching code), the project slowly died.
BTs_FahQ2

shit stinks, don't touch! drink more! beer shits!

« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2005, 10:14:41 pm »

You guys are cute.....

1. It's not stealing if you installed it.  In a way, think of it as a donation you made by using his free service.  I am sure he thanks you for your donation.

2. It autoupdates so gr is stable, same reason you update a game to make sure everyone is using the same version of the game.  This ensures it works right.  Are you that dense?  How about you don't update it then and enjoy the empty screen that doesn't have gameranger.  Now you have the old client working just fine.

3. Good, my IP address changes about 10 times a day.  If someone deserves a ban they stay banned.

4. Hugh? have you received any direct marketing campaigns from any third party using information that may have come from gameranger?  This would be the only sole benefit from any action like this, and if he did do this, he probably wouldn't have to charge for anything, databases sell for quite a bit of cash.

5. hahahahahahahah, let me reiterate, hahahahahaha. Good one

6. The guys hosting the servers should get the donation.  Wow, great minds think alike, send the money to Gameranger, Scott pays for the servers and bandwidth.  So you just admitted you would like to donate or pay, now stfu and go ahead.

and your second post

People tried to make something that worked the same but didn't work and couldn't get it to work. This is GR's fault?  Hell, he perfected the system I guess.  Not his fault other people cannot develop the same thing. Let us guesss why.....

1. what is in it for them - posts by ghost.fr about this new service wanting something in return for what they developed as bad, oh so bad.

2. shit, this is hard work, maybe I should get paid for this?

3. This was my idea and results of hard work, let me put up with bullshit all day long for free....

So gamescouter, I thank thee for trying and for everyone else.  Go ahead and do it, but when you work hard at something and make it work right for everyone to enjoy, it is human nature to want something in return or to not lose money on it.  Just life...

"Forgiveness is between you and your God, My job is to help arrange the meeting."
www.rmgraphix.com
Kangaroo

« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2005, 10:26:25 pm »

MORE FUNNNNNY OLD STUFF

GameSCOUTER

GameRanger is an internet gaming service that allows users to chat and play multiplayer games against each other. At this time, it's the only application of it's kind available on the Macintosh.

The original GameScouter was a quick and dirty RealBASIC client/server application created to chat with other GameRanger members when the GameRanger service was down. It allowed users to chat with each other in multiple chat rooms and also provide users the ability to supply his/her own IP address and as the host of a multiplayer game(a very primitive method of launching games).

When the programmer of GameRanger Scott Kevill found out what I made, he immediately banned me from his service. Confused to why I was banned, I wrote him an email explaining my position, requesting that I be lifted from the ban. He granted this to me. Upon returning to GameRanger, I met a lot of people giving me much verbal abuse, for seemingly unknown reasons. After a bit of investigating, I found that Scott Kevill started a campaign against us.etc.

Seeing the need for an alternative gaming network that encourages free speech, we decided to completely redo GameSCOUTER and build it into a service to compete with GameRanger. Many people upset with Scott's antics volunteered to help out. I completely reprogrammed the server application in C++ and designed to be run 24x7 on a UNIX machine. This new version had user accounts, which was stored in a SQL database. It also had extensive auto-chat flood protection, user-creatable chat rooms, private messages, detailed game listings, and with the help of Graham Wihlidal(a programmer who volunteered to help), we could have an automatic game launching system(without the user having to open the game and try to connect manually to an IP). It was beautiful, it was all coming together.

Of course, as soon as Scott found out about our efforts, he immediately banned me, Graham, every administrator I hired, everyone who helped beta-test our versions, and even some friends of mine who I mentioned in the original version's about box. He even added a rule to his administrators, ordering them to permanently ban users who rallied for free speech. He also prevented GameRanger users from even talking about us by making it so that every time someone mentioned the word 'gamescouter' it would automatically be changed to 'opengl'.

Eventually, I finished the server code, and it worked perfectly through my tests telnetting directly to the server and entering commands manually. I also wrote complete documentation of the server, including the protocol, how the server and client are supposed to interact with each other, what security measures were in place, etc. I also developed the website, which also integrated with the server, giving statistics like who's online, who chats the most, who plays the most games, what games are most popular, etc. It was beautiful, and it was done.

We were originally going to keep the RB client, but we ran into some large limitations and bugs which gave us the need to move to something else. Graham, having prior experience in developing GUI applications in C++ and having the skills to have an actual game launching system, was responsible for developing the client. After little progress, Graham decided that he would design it in OS X using Cocoa and Objective-C. He disappeared, to return a few months later saying that there wasn't enough Apple documentation to fix the bugs he's having with the socket code. So he proposed we move back to C++ and carbon. Then he disappears again, and decides to redo it in Cocoa. And then back again. And so forth, over and over again until everyone just becomes so disenchanted with the project as a whole. Me, being involved in a hundred other projects at the time, simply didn't have enough time to learn the Macintosh toolbox so that I could develop windows with complex controls, mac os socket code, and develop a client(not to mention that I didn't know how to write the game launching code), the project slowly died.

I agree this article is funny. it shows through the numerous attempts to get a similar program to GR working all have failed and failed miserably. Scott is the only one who has been able to keep the "service" going. Until you ghost can produce an alternative just fark off and stop whining like a 5 year old child who has just had his favorite toy taken from him.

On the point that he tracks more than ip addresses. FFS im glad this is done ip addressess these days can be changed in quicker time than it takes to reboot a mac.

And the people of Australia have alot better things to do with there time than whine and complain about a "free" service. As far as i can remeber (correct me if im wrong) Gameranger does not come installed with osx? You installed it yourself! If you dont like it dont install it!

And seriously to take yours and your friends childish comments to another website is beyond laughable.

core.Flies

« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2005, 11:00:40 pm »

My focus in all this is absolutely only one point:

GameRanger should not exclude use of other applications.
That´s what I am opposing to.

I love the fact we have a place called "GameRanger".
I like the lay-out of it
- and its amazing to have this little mac-gaming cyberworld running.

Gameranger has through many years been like  "a good friend" to me.

But havent you ever had a very good friend, who at a certain point made a move that you simply couldnt live with ? And did you tell him so ?

I got nothing against Scott making money - however I have always said that it would be nice for the customers if there was at least just one more competitor.

Therefore GameRanger - and Scott - could prolly come up with other ideas to "make a living", that I wouldnt dream about commenting.

But to see a Mac-based application getting away with bizz-moves
that even Microsoft couldnt get away with....that saddens me.

Best regards
| ! |  Flies

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2005, 11:27:39 pm »

think that just about sums how i feel flies, and for the last time its not becasue im suing a free app etc etc, i pay for this, i just don't agree with the business practise of physically preventing people from using competing products when u add features that they allready offer.

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
cO.libre

« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2005, 01:31:18 am »

you guys are rediculous ..

CONFORM TO KEVILL OR DIE !!

cO.libre - The Chosen Ones<br />www.thechosenones.us
z][t-Magnetic

www.transistor6.net

« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2005, 05:47:53 am »

I think it’s very obvious that those guys who defend Gameranger so blindly are the ones who would die if Gameranger was not here anymore. Those guys who would have to spend time with their wives, boyfriends,dogs or whatever if Gameranger was not here. Those guys who refuse to even try to see anything wrong.

Flame away.  clapping hands

Ethion
Forum Whore

2x1.8 G5 at your service

« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2005, 05:50:57 am »

JUST FOR info it was written in 2004

I just realized after playing Americas Army for the past 6 months that I am banned from GameRanger. That is fine with me, because I think gameranger sucks anyway. What is my problem with gameranger?

1 - Scott Keevil creates spyware, that steals information from the the Mac in which it is installed and reports it back to Gameranger? Information such as your name, Mac login, your computers serial number and your ethernet card number among other things.

2 - I don't like how gameranger autoupdates without my permission. It is the only Mac software I know that does this. A practice which is widely condemned by devlopers.

3 - Scott uses the information he steals without without your knowledge to permenantly ban users. Instead of just banning your IP address, he bans your ethernet card address which is reported with the spyware.

4 - To maintain a good rapport with the Software companies Scott Keevil reports the personal identity information he stole from your Mac as well as the other information you gave GR when you registered to the Software companies he writes plug-ins for. *If you (like me) value your privacy on the internet, this might upset you.

5 - Scott Keevil is a beggar, who extorts his clients to give money to support his spyware business.

6 - Gameranger itself is not much more than a glorified IRC client. The real GEM about gameranger is the Mac community that uses comes together, provides servers, community tech support etc... The guys hosting the servers are the ones we really should be donating to.

1. How can it create spyware? The only thing the application does is, is to check your hard drive for games that is compatible with GameRanger, nothing else nothing more. As for name, it doesn't you have the option to write in your name in your profile if you want too. But does it send you ALL of your account information, no it doesn't. And what would Evill have the use for it anyway? It's not like hes going to call your bank and withdraw all your money.

2. Like Fah said, its nessasary to be able to use the service. Its like AA, you can't play with the official servers just because you don't have the latest version of the game.

3. Just because he bans your MAC(ethernet) adress doens't mean its spyware, almost every application you use with an internet connection to a service, mostly a service for example IRC.
IRC is a good example, if you want spyware then IRC is your choice, it sends the username of your computer, MAC adress, hostname and IP. What else do you want? it can even ping your host, and hack it if you want. And he bans the MAC adress so that people who might be on the same IP doesn't fucked over, in most cases.

4. What have you gotten this shitty information from? Did you come up with it yourself, the plug-ins have nothing to do with infomation which is sent to game companies. Almost the only thing he does send to them are questions and statistics of the game.

5. Yes, he begs for money, so he can use his spyware for world domination! (Where do you get all of this spyware crap from?)

6. If you think it's a glorified IRC app, then over till one. You think it has the same functions as an IRC client go over till one.

Ethion
Forum Whore

2x1.8 G5 at your service

« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2005, 05:53:09 am »

I think it’s very obvious that those guys who defend Gameranger so blindly are the ones who would die if Gameranger was not here anymore. Those guys who would have to spend time with their wives, boyfriends,dogs or whatever if Gameranger was not here. Those guys who refuse to even try to see anything wrong.

Flame away.  clapping hands

You just pointed yourself out to a moron, just because we defend something so blindly doesn't mean we have a personal life when we aren't using GameRanger. Most of us has school or what ever to do.
I can see you on most of the time on GameRanger, so... Stop whining, if you don't have anything to contribute to the discussion then don't.

ghost.fr

« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2005, 05:56:05 am »

magnetic i wouldnt say it better !!!!
nice one !!!!
ghost.fr

« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2005, 06:00:13 am »

4. What have you gotten this shitty information from? Did you come up with it yourself, the plug-ins have nothing to do with infomation which is sent to game companies. Almost the only thing he does send to them are questions and statistics of the game.

5. Yes, he begs for money, so he can use his spyware for world domination! (Where do you get all of this spyware crap from?)

6. If you think it's a glorified IRC app, then over till one. You think it has the same functions as an IRC client go over till one.

ola ethion don t flame me!! i'm just discussing here !!!

this is where it come from : http://www.macgamer.com/wcgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=005669
Ethion
Forum Whore

2x1.8 G5 at your service

« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2005, 06:04:32 am »

ola ethion don t flame me!! i'm just discussing here !!!

this is where it come from : http://www.macgamer.com/wcgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=005669
Atleast put a source before you write something like that, the guys is stupid enough to believie that is true. And I don't have an intention to flame you, i'm just telling you how it's supposed to be. And Macgamers users has been known to be total morons, so goes for the website.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 06:16:43 am by Ethion » Logged

ghost.fr

« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2005, 06:11:24 am »

And could anyone say why the GR stas when down since premium came out Huh!!!!

http://www.gameranger.com/stats/

plus i have nothing against premium its all about freedom of choice and business ethics!!!

i paid since it came out cause i have the money to pay but some guys dont and they should choose to use any other free app to chat (ichat) during games or pay for KDX or NF instade of GR just cause KDX gives more than just voice.
All that as been said millions of time no need to repeat

but i will bring more info and reply to the people we talked too
ghost.fr

« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2005, 06:12:57 am »

ps: ethion i dont see ur sources !!?? ;-)
z][t-Magnetic

www.transistor6.net

« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2005, 06:14:21 am »

You just pointed yourself out to a moron, just because we defend something so blindly doesn't mean we have a personal life when we aren't using GameRanger. Most of us has school or what ever to do.
I can see you on most of the time on GameRanger, so... Stop whining, if you don't have anything to contribute to the discussion then don't.

Did I touch your weak spot?  clapping hands

Ethion
Forum Whore

2x1.8 G5 at your service

« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2005, 06:17:08 am »

Did I touch your weak spot?  clapping hands

Yes, I don't have a life, that's why I am on this forum 24/7.

z][t-Magnetic

www.transistor6.net

« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2005, 06:18:59 am »

Yes, I don't have a life, that's why I am on this forum 24/7.

I know, but thanks for saying it.

eur.reddust

« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2005, 06:20:51 am »

thanks Flies, you got it  We need more love

and what one could learn from this thread? a few things:

1. GameRanger has a monopol in its service
2. one could be excluded permanently without any reason
3. the GameRanger application has partially unwanted behaviours, in certain countries maybe called illegal  

but now comes the most important part:

4. the basic service is completely free
5. this service has several very powerful and convenient features
6. this service has been improved continually since the beginning 5 years ago
7. there are no bugging advertisings
8. there is no evidence of abusing unwanted gathered information of users

this means:

9. only paying premium users have the right to complain about this service

and results in:

10. use the service and try to improve it (with constructive contributions to the developers) or don't use the service

take this for the 10 commandments of GameRanger. thank you.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 08:24:36 am by EUR.RedDust » Logged
Ethion
Forum Whore

2x1.8 G5 at your service

« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2005, 06:25:41 am »

ps: ethion i dont see ur sources !!?? ;-)

1. Evill, yes you can apparently learn from that guy. Amazing isn't it?

2. Common sense

3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spyware

Want more?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads