*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:11:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  Gaming (All your Gaming needs are here!) (Moderator: *DAMN Hazard)
| | |-+  FPS in AA
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FPS in AA  (Read 2806 times)
:MoD:Shade
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« on: February 26, 2006, 05:25:48 am »

Hey guys this is a personal thing so if you don't want to take  the time to help out don't  bother.  I tried booting up AA the other day and it seems that every map I pick I get FPS  in the teens.  This doesn't make sense at all to me considering I can get FPS in the 80's in RvS which uses the same engine.

I've got an iMac G5 with 512MB of RAM and a 128 meg graphics card.

This is what my ArmyOps.ini file looks like - I'm an FPS whore so I don't care how the game looks I just want higher framerate:

http://home.comcast.net/~shyguy7772/ArmyOps.ini.pdf

I've looked at tweak files and everything - hopefully somebody spots something or can point me to more shit to look at.

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 11:11:06 am »

Ah yes lovely AA and its lovely frame rates... All i can suggest is keep your resolution and the lowest (800x600) your card can deal with the textures etc on normal i don't think it will make any difference lowering or raisinig them becaue you have a good healthy chunk of Graphics RAM. You could do better with another 512MB in the mac though.

http://www.tweakguides.com/AASF_1.html   - you tried that mate?

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
(SiX)Sheixhundt
Forum Whore

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 03:43:20 pm »

Ryan confirmed that there was an error in his initial code (and never patched it) so hunt around in the AA forums for something about turning off the Auto-Login feature.

You dont need it, becuase the game automatically logs you into your jacket.

Evidently what it is doing, is constantly rendering a splash screen in the background (underneath the game graphic) and that frame is redrawn every three seconds or something..so you have two things going on..

One, the game is trying to connect twice to the AA tracker, and there is a graphic being drawn constantly.

Ive heard that this is one of the items that made as much if not more difference than the ini tweaks.
Ghostsniper had the same issue with his G5 and was initially getting 5 fps until he turned off the login.

GL.

I discovered why the buddha laughs.
The truth is so horrifying, it's funny.
Civrock
*DAMN Supporter ][ *DAMN Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 04:06:53 pm »

Ryan confirmed that there was an error in his initial code (and never patched it) so hunt around in the AA forums for something about turning off the Auto-Login feature.

http://icculus.org/news/news.php?id=2523
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 07:40:47 am by Civic » Logged

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 04:11:05 pm »

Which section should I ignore in my ArmyOps.ini file? the [WinDrv.WindowsClient] and any others? I'm probably just wasting my time going through and s etting some of this stuff to "False".

And I had the 2.5.0a too.

I don't think that playing at a lower Res helps BFG? I'm not sure about this though.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 04:12:41 pm by :MoD:Shade » Logged

Civrock
*DAMN Supporter ][ *DAMN Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 04:52:16 pm »

You shouldn't change the native resolution on TFTs because it usually decreases the performance even more... but you should try it. I'd definitely get another 512MB RAM, though, that should help a bit.

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 06:23:11 pm »

heh of course your on a imac hehe. well put the res of your monitor to its lowest standard res and then set AA to the same - res does make a big difference but more specifically only with lower Graphics cards -with the card thats in yours the res shouldn't be so much of a factor

z][t-Magnetic

www.transistor6.net

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 01:27:05 pm »

I know I’m kind of an outcast in here, when talking about AA on Mac, but to give you an idea on how it runs on my PC...I tried all resolutions, graphics settings from ultralow to ultrahigh...and I got 60-80 fps static on everything no matter the gfx detail and res. I have a 128 mb card as well, so it unfair that you should get those lowend fps. I know that tweaking the ini file will give you a boost in fps, but not nearly as much as you would like. The fault must be in the poor conversion to Mac, since a G5 still can’t handle the game properly.

So, instead of getting 512 MB ram for your Mac, get a PC for aproximately the same amount of money Wink

(SiX)Sheixhundt
Forum Whore

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 02:32:54 pm »

Make sure you check back in, and tell us your results, Shade.

id say the two most important variables (considering your machine/card) are these:

Make sure you use the patch Civic referenced in his link above.
I wasnt aware that they patched it and This one was pure gold.
I spoke with a LOT of people that this one affected the most in a good way.
From 12 frames up to a consistent 40...

And in the ini tweaks, the most important one in that list is where you make the cache size equal your card size megs.

(I know there were some tweak guides on the net that mentioned a formula for cache size that was dependant on RAM - but those references are wrong according to the the UT people) - use the cache size = card size instead.

ps....Ty Civic, and i take back every word.  Smiley

We need more love

I discovered why the buddha laughs.
The truth is so horrifying, it's funny.
th.Sentinel

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 07:33:47 pm »

The problems with 2.5 have been posted before on this forum.

Dont expect high fps like in RvS, cause the texturing and lighting in AA is way more complex then RvS. If you get an avarage of 25 to 40 fps on most of the maps you should be glad. Cause that's what I'm getting on the new maps, except when I'm inside then it stays between 50 and 80.
Fire-fights can make your fps drop by half.

ps. 2.5 is running on Unreal engine 2.5 while RvS is Unreal engine 2.

+    + +    ++[+] +     ++[+]
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 11:17:20 pm »

Ah, sry bout that - well my results are that I've only played Pipeline because that's the only map that I know inside out Wink and I get from 20 FPS to 60 FPS - it really depends on what I'm looking at with an average in the 30's which is very playable.

I just keep lowering the .ini file for quality and I don't know if that helps or not but it makes me feel like its working.  What I have been getting is a lot of lag, maybe it's just in this o3b server but I dunno.

I'll change my cache size right now - I think i lowered it to 64 because that's what the tweak guide said to leave it as unless you have more than 512MB of RAM.

P.S. - What should I do for VARSize - I had 128, matching my video card, I just upped it to 256 to see what it would do and it seems the same.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 11:41:36 pm by :MoD:Shade » Logged

DarK.
God bless the freaks

Forum's Evil Side

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2006, 08:08:13 pm »

You may not see a difference but performance will be better with the 128.

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics... Even if you win, you are still retarded.
PandabeaR

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 06:12:01 pm »

Why exactly was my post deleted? clapping hands
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 06:24:11 pm »

not sure, who ever deleted it can probably explain but im guessing it was because it was off topic and digging up an old subject that has been debated may times. Shade is interested in increasing the frame rates of AA on his mac  - he isn't intereted in being told to buy a PC.

just a guess.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads