*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:50:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip
| | |-+  Tech Talk (Moderators: *DAMN Hazard, Civrock, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | | |-+  Aluminum 17" PowerBook...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Aluminum 17" PowerBook...  (Read 1522 times)
BTs_GhostSniper
God save the Royal Whorealots

SUA SPONTE

« on: September 26, 2005, 01:39:51 pm »

Well, after not having one for nearly 5 years, I have finally gone out and bought myself another PowerBook (my last one was a PowerBook Duo 2300c...the first PowerPC Duo and also the last Duo ever made).  I decided on the 17" model simply because I wanted a bigger screen, I didn't really need to spend that much money though...don't tell Mrs GS anyone!  lol

So, I know there are many PowerBook users amongst you gamers...got any tips or suggestions?  As I havn't been in the portable-user market for many years, I'm sure I've forgotten a lot about battery consumption, quirks in the operating system, and more.  Oh, and isn't there a way to be able to access the internet through a cell phone with it?  How will it do with gaming should I decide to get a game or two in up at work?

By the way, this is the first PowerPC G4 I will ever have owned (I went straight from a G3 to a G5, thus skipping the entire G4 line).

Well, guess you guys will see me on GameRanger a lot more often now.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
[/size]

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
Civrock

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 01:54:16 pm »

You got the recent 17" Powerbook, right? If so, then you have a 128MB graphics card and should have no problems running recent games on normal or even high settings (except maybe Doom 3 or other hardware hogs, heh). GhR, RvS or AA should run good on it. It also has a big and fast HD. The only thing you could increase would be the RAM, since the OS itself takes up quite a bit of the standard 512MB already (you can upgrade it up to 2GB of RAM).
Don't forget to get an external keyboard and mouse to play with it, though, it sucks to play on the PB keyboard and you definitely don't want to play shooters with the touchpad. Wink
You don't really need to worry about battery consumption or anything else since I guess that you'll have it connected to the power supply at work anyways, and at home you have your G5.

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 03:39:52 pm »

Correct, I got the newest 17" PowerBook that is on sell through the Apple Store right now (at the educational price!).  One of the reasons I went for it over the 15" model is that by the time you upgrade the 15" to the 128MB Graphics Card and 100GB Hard Drive, you are almost to the price of the 17" model that comes with those standard.  So I went ahead and got the 17".

I did get the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse with it, so I won't be using the PowerBook keyboard and touchpad very often.  Anybody have anything good/bad to say about the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse?  I just wish the Mighty Mouse came wireless now.

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
The Golden Shark

hehehe my picture is funny.........

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 03:41:39 am »

i too have the 17in PB although mine was the first gen. so for instance my GFX card is only 64 megs Sad. the only problems ive come across so far are resolution problems. alot of games dont support the wide screen reses or if they do its really half assed. (but i like odler games so this might now be a problem for you.) anyways im glad someone else has one of these things seening as how i can turn to someone to bounce ideas off of.

you are now a member of the elite. Smiley

And the Lord said, "Let there be G5!", and there was G5, and it was good. Everyone was amazed and gave praise to Steve Jobs. And Steve Jobs saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. On the second day, Steve Jobs drove Wintel from the garden of NASDAQ in a fury -- f
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads