*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:25:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  *DAMN (Moderators: *DAMN Mauti, BFG)
| | |-+  Bravo Zulu, Mauti!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bravo Zulu, Mauti!  (Read 1607 times)
The Money Shot
« on: January 19, 2004, 12:26:41 am »

Thanks for all you do for the MAC and GR communities.
Your site is top drawer... and has helped me turn from being a running tomato can in MP to well... at least a "you can't really tell I am a newb" status.
I visit the *DAMN site often, and find myself at other sites saying, "why can't this site be more like *DAMN's."

As we say in the Navy to those who do an outstanding job, BRAVO ZULU!
Keep it up.
Toxic::Joka
Forum Whore

Now available in PC flavour.

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 06:37:16 am »

Is there some story behind why you say "bravo zulu" in the navy, sounds funny.

...Money...
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 07:59:03 pm »

the long winded version...

"Bravo Zulu" actually comes from the Allied Naval Signal Book (ACP 175 series), an international naval signal code adopted in 1949 after the creation of NATO. Until then, each navy had used its own signal code and operational manuals. World War II experience had shown that it was difficult, or even impossible, for ships of different navies to operate together unless they could readily communicate, and ACP 175 was designed to remedy this.

In the U.S. Navy signal code, used before ACP 175, "well done" was signaled as TVG, or "Tare Victor George" in the U.S. phonetic alphabet of that time. ACP 175 was organized in the general manner of other signal books, that is, starting with 1-flag signals, then 2-flag and so on. The 2-flag signals were organized by general subject, starting with AA, AB, AC, ... AZ, BA, BB, BC, ... BZ, and so on. The B- signals were called "Administrative" signals, and dealt with miscellaneous matters of administration and housekeeping. The last signal on the "Administrative" page was BZ, standing for "well done."

At that time BZ was not rendered as "Bravo Zulu," but in each navy's particular phonetic alphabet. In the U.S. Navy, BZ was spoken as "Baker Zebra." In the meanwhile, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) had adopted English as the international air traffic control language. They developed a phonetic alphabet for international aviation use, designed to be as "pronounceable" as possible by flyers and traffic controllers speaking many different languages. This was the "Alfa, Bravo, Charlie, Delta..." alphabet used today. The Navy adopted this ICAO alphabet in March 1956. It was then that "Baker Zebra" finally became "Bravo Zulu." -- Courtesy, Naval Historical Center
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 11:20:11 pm »

Thanks for the comment and flowers, Money  Grin

Have a nice day,

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
BTs_GhostSniper
*DAMN Supporter ][ *DAMN Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 09:46:30 pm »

Which brings me to some that I learned while in the U.S. Army:  Alpha Hotel (asshole), Mike Foxtrot (mother fucker), and Sierra Hotel (shit head).

These are official call-signs used on a daily basis in the Army Smiley

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads