*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:44:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  *DAMN (Moderators: *DAMN Mauti, BFG)
| | |-+  Having tech issues with members who use PCs
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Having tech issues with members who use PCs  (Read 1734 times)
=wL= Femme

« on: November 28, 2003, 12:10:27 pm »

Hi,

WasteLine is a relatively new clan and we are having some problems getting started up... most of them revolve around the fact that a few of our members use PCs.

Before you "go off" over that, most of them already own Macs, but cannot play GhR on the Mac for one reason or another...

Then, my cable connection got a disease and now prevents me from hosting larger games on Game Ranger without having lag problems. So, I accepted the use of a T1 from a Windoze box from a friend who offered to host us free. This is a great server, but has some very serious side-effects:

1. Dedicated PC server... can't use it on Ranger.

2. Now that we can't use special Mac only weapons mods on the Windoze server, we let some PC players into the clan (most are Mac users, but play ghost only on their PC box).

3. Special Mac Mods written for *DAMN BL use only (such as the *DBL Map Pack 1 mod) are not compatible with the PCs.

Reason: the * before each map, file, folder name is an illegal character on a PC. They won't read the mod.

We can't practice on our dedicated server using the required mod for this season, and the PC players (which we really need and want to keep) cannot use the map pack mod, either.

4. PC users can no longer IP join any games hosted (in particular, by other clans) on Ranger.

We *really want* to play on this ladder, and have been working toward that end for months (especialy since most of us ARE Mac). These problems have only recently become issues for us.

We are looking for other clans / groups of players who are experiencing the same obsticles in hopes of joining forces to come up with some solutions.

If you have these same problems and would like to work together for solutions, please contact me either via email, on Ranger, PM here on the forum -- or simply post, and I will get in touch with you.

Two heads are better than one, twenty are better than two... and there is more strength in numbers.

Thanks,
Femme
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 12:14:03 pm by =wL= Femme » Logged

Men have a much better time of it than women: for one thing they marry later; for another thing they die earlier.
 - H.L. Mencken
Civrock
*DAMN Supporter ][ *DAMN Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 02:19:17 pm »

hey,

first... did u read the BL rules?

*DAMN Battle League: clanladder only for Mac (Apple Macintosh) clans and players operating in GameRanger. Ip joining as well as other platform players are only allowed if both clans agree. Only clanbattles set up through GameRanger are counted towards the ladder.

that?s why all mods or the mappack here are made for MAC.

second... IP joining was disabled in GameRanger for some reasons. for example to prevent PC?s joining games... (PC = a lot of cheat possibilities)

z][t-Civic

btw... PC's suck! Grin

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
=wL= Femme

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2003, 09:14:29 pm »

Yes, I read them and I have been in communication with Mauti.

First, um... yeah, I hate PCs too. With a vengeance. And have been known to make blanket insults to PC users (my bad). I've changed my ways. I've been pretty much forced to play on a PC server if I want to continue ghosting in multi-player. What I'm doing is taking my particular set of circumstances and trying to deal with them the best I can... without say... breaking my Ghost CD in half and swearing off of my addiction ;-)

Maybe you missed the part that said "most of them already own Macs, but cannot play GhR on the Mac for one reason or another..."  You see, I didn't go out fishing in the PC community for just any PC weenies who could play ghost; these were people I already knew from the Mac community, or were friends of clan members whom we finally allowed to play in our games. When it became obvious that they were so skilled at ghost that we couldn't do without them, they became very important elements of our team.

"Some" of us could play on Ranger -- but, not only would it not be a full representation of our clan, we wouldn't perform as well without the others... in fact, several members will not cb without them.

These PC members don't "cheat." They are much too honorable to put game scores before skill. Why do you think we've been practicing for months? We've been working out the kinks.

Second, I realize that was probably a "gut reaction," and that many others will very likely react the same. (I probably would have six months ago.) The question is whether you are going to blow us off because there are PC users involved, or welcome us onto the ladder, help us be able to play; and most importantly, play with us.

Third, most of our woes have been dealt with privately until now. We are in the final stages of preparation and here are our final obstacles. I created this thread to see if there are any others with the same problems -- not to do PC bashing. Although, I think I can probably one-up you on your final statement:
PCs suck donkey balls! (just my personal opinion - windoze stinks, but our players don't) --The problem is that I have to deal with this, and overcome these things to cb on the ladder.

Fourth and last: We've held it together this far. We want to play. We won't join a PC ladder, period. It's this (*DBL) or nothing.

I pretty much stayed out of games in Ranger while getting the clan back together, and working towards being ready for the ladder. When I returned, these are the problems I found: Game Ranger after update 3.5 prevents PC IP joins; a new Mac mod required this season with no PC equivalent; and of course, the NetFone issue (not going there today). This is an appeal for help, not an invitation to insult. Are there any who can help solve these problems? -- Or any who also need the same problems solved?

Men have a much better time of it than women: for one thing they marry later; for another thing they die earlier.
 - H.L. Mencken
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2003, 01:40:29 pm »

The only thing I don't understand is that if I join a PC game with *DAMN Mauti it works flawless and my name appears as *DAMN Mauti. Further it is somehow very strange that * doesnt work within GR. It only reads the * out of a document. You can also read word files, etc with * in it and the * will appear as *. Same should apply for GR. Well obviously it doesn't but it doesn't make much sense.

Well beside that the * has to stay at least in the modsset.txt, if not at all in the folder name, I can't do much here. Especially that would mean if I upgrade to the new spawn points everybody would have to redownload the full 50MBs that's unacceptable for most and would work against my aim to etablish the mod pack as standard map pack in GameRanger.

I'm somehow at a dead end  here although I would have liked to see you playing but.

Bye,

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
=wL= Femme

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2003, 06:19:46 pm »

I KNOW! If it made sense, we wouldn't refer to them all the time in disgust as PeeCees! (&#%@#$%$#%&)

Well, at this point, the ones who *really want to play* are looking into buying better Macs. (The others will probably drop out.) It looks like we get to watch from the sidelines again for another season or two... sigh.

We are still a bit screwed from the practice end, though... with our dedicated server being on the PC box.

- H.L. Mencken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads