*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:16:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  Gaming (All your Gaming needs are here!) (Moderator: *DAMN Hazard)
| | |-+  *DAMN offering full Mac IT version?
Poll
Question: Would you make use of *DAMN's IT offer?
Yes sure, please realize this idea - 10 (62.5%)
No, I convert IT myself and use your patch - 6 (37.5%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: *DAMN offering full Mac IT version?  (Read 4712 times)
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster
God save the Royal Whorealots

« on: March 08, 2003, 12:21:29 pm »

Hi guys,

Island Thunder is a real cool expansion pack. As most of you know we are currently working hard on a patch that fixes the PC files.

For a selfconversion it is required that you own the original PC IT disc and a PC or VPC. Many users don't have a PC or VPC so I am thinking about how you can get legally a full Mac Island Thunder version.

It would work the following way:

1. You buy the PC Island Thunder Expansion Pack
2. You send me the ORIGINAL PC Disc(unopened) or the bill(no copy) together with 10 - 15 US dollars(prize details see below).
3. After I received your mail I'll send you back a full working Mac version of Island Thunder

Why 10 - 15 US dollars!? I am from europe and mail costs are expensive(I have to send priority so you get your Mac version within 14days)  + I have to buy a CDR and burn your Mac version. At all I wouldn't earn a cent - it is a nonprofit campaign. This would be just an offer to distribute IT for Mac for all guys who want to add even more exciting missions to a fantastic game and don't own a PC or VPC.

To sum up your costs:

- IT expansion pack(is avaible for 15 - 20 US dollars)
- mail costs to(Austria); You can decide if you send it priority or not but I would only send off the Mac version when I receive your pack.(USA - Austria needs without priority 3 - 5 weeks)
- my mail costs back to you + package costs + CDR costs(10 - 15US dollars)

At all IT would cost you as much as a full retail game. To realize my offer I would need at least a request of 100 guys and gals.

Please post your opinions about such an offer. It's just an idea. - If there is a request *DAMN will do it also it would be the first full avaible community conversion of a commercial product.

Greetings,

Mauti
« Last Edit: March 08, 2003, 05:19:27 pm by *DAMN Mauti » Logged

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
jn.loudnotes
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

I'm tired of being creative.

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2003, 04:18:06 pm »

Mauti I might be interested in that at some point.  Right now I still haven't finished Ghost Recon. . .I'm not even started on Desert Siege!  (yeah, that's how much free time I have)

Anyway, I suggest you write to Aspyr, and whichever PC company made IT, and offer to sell them the conversion.  They could easily resell it. . .I don't see how they would object.  I don't know how altruistic you are - you could even give it to them free.  It seems like they would want to market it. . .

< insert clever and original signature here >
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2003, 05:08:35 pm »

To do the conversion wouldn't be a problem for Aspyr. The problem is the license. If you sell a Mac port you have to pay licenses for the game. Licenses are very expensive.

Currently Aspyr owns only the rights for GR and DS. *DAMN can't sell a conversion because then we would have to buy the licenses from UbiSoft also I don't have any distribution partners. This is still only a hobby.

However you have the possibility to buy the PC IT version and convert it yourself for Mac, but many people don't own VPC or a PC, which is required to get the files from the IT cd on your Mac.

As a consequence I could offer a free selfcost campaign where you send me your PC version and get back a full Mac version. It is as long legal as nobody owns the Mac IT license. So if Aspyr will convert IT I am happy but it doesn't seem so. This would be a nonprofit campaign only to make a great game even better.

Bye,

Mauti

since 13th June 2000
jn.loudnotes
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

I'm tired of being creative.

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2003, 10:18:29 pm »

Thanks Mauti!  I'm wondering though, how much is a license?

< insert clever and original signature here >
[TRIBE]Meatwagon

How does it feel to be DONKEY PUNCHED?

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2003, 10:22:15 pm »

Damn Mauti, before i submit my vote i was wondering more on the details of converting if i have a pc and IT disc. well actually i dont own a pc but i have a friend who does and has IT. so i'm figuring i can do it through his computer. if you can give me more details on that method i would go about the conversion, i would  have a more accurate feel if that is the method i should take. Or, i would go the other way, and send you the disc. please give the step by step details to go about converting it the pc way, thanks..chris....
[TRIBE]Meatwagon

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2003, 10:29:22 pm »

PS to the last mesage.... is it simply copying the IT folder from the pc and then bringing the IT folder over my ma and putting it in the MOD folder, then install the patch?
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2003, 11:27:48 pm »

To LoudNotes: few thousand dollars

Meatwagon: yes it is that easy. Once the patch is done I'll also post a step by step tutorial. The offer is especially for guys that don't have a chance to do it alone. It's just an offer.

Bye,

Mauti

since 13th June 2000
Wolfbane
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2003, 12:36:07 am »

I just bought IT at Best Buy in anticipation of your patch. I'll just do it myself since using a PC to move the files won't be a problem.

I guess the 27 files that show up on the CD under OS X aren't the files that are needed for the conversion?
Desprez

Squad Bartender

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2003, 12:46:11 am »

Continuing what Meatwagon was asking....

I have access to a PC at work.

So, I buy IT for PC. Then what?
I install it on the PC? I'm under the impression that IT is an expansion, so won't it want to look for Ghost Recon to install into? How does this work seeing as I don't have a PC version of GR?
Do I need a PC and a PC version of GR? Or just the PC?

Or does the IT installer not even check for a pre-existing GR?

Assuming it gets installed somehow, I'm not sure what to do on the PC. Just copy the files to a CD once they are installed, and then copy them to the mac?
abe (lazy)
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2003, 01:50:12 am »

Would it be possible to make the patch install the files directly from PC cd onto your mac? if so this would solve the entire problem, right?
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2003, 03:00:38 am »

The tutorial I gonna write tomorrow will answer all your questions. And lead you step by step to a wonderful IT conversion.

It's 3:00am now so good night guys and gals.

Bye,

Mauti
« Last Edit: March 09, 2003, 03:01:19 am by *DAMN Mauti » Logged

since 13th June 2000
[TRIBE]Meatwagon

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2003, 03:27:20 pm »

Damn, there is some unclarity in the tutorial, sorry i'm being so lame, but here is my question;

my friend w/ a pc has already loaded IT expansion pac to his ghost recon application, so can i now copy that IT folder from his computer onto a disc and bring it over to my mac? or did i have to install the IT again on his computer using vpc? i'm a little confused.

thx again for your time and sorry for my confusion.
[TRIBE]Meatwagon

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2003, 03:32:05 pm »

PS to last message

i'm guessing he didnt use winpack300b when he installed his game. so now in more confused.
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2003, 08:26:42 pm »

Hehe well to use IT for Mac you have to get the Mp2 folder from your PC to your mac. WinPack300 is only a tool to extract the Mp2 folder from the IT disc so if you already have the Mp2 folder you only have to move it to your Mac.

Bye,

Mauti

since 13th June 2000
Schohntag
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2003, 11:39:52 pm »

Hy Mauti!

I have read since 2 weeks ago a adress where i can send you the bill from IT PC version!!!
But now i cant find it anywhere Sad

Please can you post or mail it me again??

I am also from vienna i want play IT....and that quick Smiley

*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2003, 07:38:54 am »

Due license issues we aren't allowed to distribute it anymore(we stopped our offer on 3rd April 2003).

Sorry,

Mauti

since 13th June 2000
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads