*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 09:31:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Anybody interested in *DAMN internet radio?  (Read 2450 times)
franx

Gaming since Avalon Hill days

« on: November 25, 2002, 11:09:36 pm »

I've been talking with Toby about testing out live or prerecorded internet radio on GhR and RS-UO related Mac topics, maybe tied in with the *DAMN site.  

I'm running Quicktime Streaming Server on my G4/500, and it works great.  I can't sustain many simultaneous connections, but how about mod and game reviews, telephone interviews with company officials,designers, etc?

Does this sound like an interesting idea to anyone?  Suggestions welcome.
†FiRE Infection
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Cold, calculated and brutal as greatness requires.

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2002, 02:32:38 am »

Sounds like a pretty cool idea to me, is this like local radio or something?  Good publicity for the mac gaming community =D

Evill: Infection, Hazard, take your duo act back to the Bar & Grill.
franx

Gaming since Avalon Hill days

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2002, 05:11:36 am »

No, this would be live or prerecorded real-time radio streams on the net in Quicktime Player, like:

rtsp://63.231.91.163/susieq.sdp

or

rtsp://63.231.91.163/susie1.mov

These are two samples I put up to test the system for my wife's grade school class.  Toby in Britain picked up the stream just fine from my server in Denver.
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2002, 06:58:28 pm »

That's a very cool idea however I am not sure for what we could use it!? If I would make a tutorial movie I would probably upload it to fileplanet. Hmmm well for reviews it could be useful because you can abort it when you have heard enough.

Well what ideas do you have for a *DAMN radio, Franx?

Bye,

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
Brain
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

Respect: The most important thing you'll ever earn

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2002, 10:06:16 pm »

i think that this would be a really cool idea, but i have the question of content. youare probably going to want to come up with 24 hours of 'filler' material for when nobody is playing DJ and then what would the DJ do? would this be like a radio call in show where the guest answers the listeners questions?

just some things that you'll probably want to think about

-Brain

"Engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance."  Dr. A. R. Dykes -1976
The Ghost of Bondo
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2003, 08:09:51 am »

Everyone should check out www.radiotiki.com or click on the radiotiki stream in the Ecclectic section of your iTunes internet radio listing.  It is the greatest thing to ever happen to internet radio.

As for this idea...I don't see the use here.
[He||] ViRaL

OK who gave me Blancs and WHO! gave me flash nades

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2003, 11:43:35 pm »

I think this is a wonderful idea and I think I might have a friend that MIGHT be able to help he loves that kinda stuff

-ViRaL

|AK| dropped off the RS ladder bah Elite team of RSers my Rapid. GhR vs RS?HuhHuh I know lets ask Mr. Clancy if he can combine them! Wait ........Hes to busy writing his 80000000000000000000000000000000000th Novel..............
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2003, 03:39:39 pm »

Ooooh just gotta say somthing.

Im currently working as part of a team setting up a student radio station in the Uk, both broadcasting over AM and also over the net. The advantage for us is that we are able to take advantage of the University's extroadinary large connection, the pipeline is fatter than Pavoroti after a Mcdonalds lock in. So we are able to stream extreamly good quality over the net.

From reading this it all sounds very cool. However the first thing i would say is becarful not to underestemate just how much time this takes, and if its a 24 hour broadcast as we are doing with 'the hub' (name of station) then you need one hell of a lot of content, and or a good automated play out system. We are currently using Myriad (unfortunatly not available on mac to my knowledge)

My gut feeling is that you would struggle to find much in the way of content that people would want to listen to. There are allready 'mac radiostations' including "inside mac radio" - (can be found fia www.macminute.com).

A nice idea but practically i see bit problems, not that i want to dull your enthusiasm  Smiley

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads