*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:28:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132953 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip
| | |-+  Tech Talk (Moderators: *DAMN Hazard, Civrock, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | | |-+  Gaming Headset hunt (Part XXVIII)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gaming Headset hunt (Part XXVIII)  (Read 5935 times)
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« on: September 26, 2006, 12:25:52 am »

It seems since I last purchased a nice headset, Plantronics has decided to completely overhaul their line to make no sense at all. I guess my current headset is now dead -- left speaker is dead, so my hunt for a new headset has begun. The reviews of practically every headset is unfavourable in some way or another, so alas I turn to the common gamer for help.

Basically, I like high-end sound, but am not necessarily a fan of high prices. Sennheiser is a name that I've seen come up quite a few times, and I don't know much about their headsets. I took a look at their PC160 line as it seems to be a good high-end audio + reasonable price mix, but as usual some professed hate for it despite a pretty clear positive review trend. I also looked at the entire new Plantronics line, and just don't know if they are shit or not. The headsets look uncomfortable and reportedly have bad quality.

Anyone have a favourite headset or brand to look at? As much as I like Plantronics they seem to break quite a lot...

[And yes, for those who read the MoD forums, this is the same post.]

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
cO.twist

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 06:01:16 am »

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=triport_headphones_index

i've gone through many headsets in my days, and this one is so much better, it isnt even funny....and by FAR the most comfortable.  It is a little higher than most headsets, but the sound is so much better that it is definitely worth it.  Besides the fact that it sounds amazing, all of my older headsets (plantronics, altec lansing, logitech) all got very uncomfortable after wearing it for a few hours straight.  This headset is very light weight, and VERY comfortable, will not get irritating, or uncomfortable at all no matter how long you wear it.

Not sure if this is in your price range, but if you're willing to spend that, then get this, you'll be happy you did.
(SiX)Sheixhundt
Forum Whore

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 04:30:59 pm »

I have the new Plantronics, and they are ass.
Cup headset..hot as fuck..surprisingly shitty sound quality.
And crashes my sound card when joining games 1 in four times
(made worse when or if using ts- which is ALSO ass)...and sometimes isnt even recognized by sys prefs..requiring restart.

Id go with Twist's recommendation..if you can.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 05:53:32 pm by (SiX)Sheixhundt » Logged

I discovered why the buddha laughs.
The truth is so horrifying, it's funny.
Cell

Emo? Are you kidding?

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 05:29:10 pm »

That was twist btw sheix...but no one cares anyway.  I ave the Altec Lansing SRS surround sound headset.  Has a mute button and a battery enabled surround sound switch.  Its the only headset I've owned that has lasted me more than a few months.  It is a regular headset, so you would have to use something like an imic usb audio device to use it.  Never causes a crash or a problem. BTW Logitech G5 Lasermouse rocks.

http://www.alteclansing.com/product_details.asp?pID=AHS615

The guys from the PC side in my GR:AW clan all recommend Razer as the company to go with for mice & headsets.  http://www.razerzone.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=38
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 05:31:19 pm by Cell » Logged

Well, I see your hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all kinds of ill shit."
(SiX)Sheixhundt
Forum Whore

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 05:54:54 pm »

That was twist btw sheix...but no one cares anyway.

watchoo talkin bout willis?
it says..twist.

Wink

I discovered why the buddha laughs.
The truth is so horrifying, it's funny.
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 04:24:47 am »

I have the new Plantronics, and they are ass.
Cup headset..hot as fuck..surprisingly shitty sound quality.
And crashes my sound card when joining games 1 in four times
(made worse when or if using ts- which is ALSO ass)...and sometimes isnt even recognized by sys prefs..requiring restart.

Id go with Twist's recommendation..if you can.

Which headset is it Sheix?

I am thinking of getting this one http://www.macspeech.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=348 only b/c I can also use it for iListen since it is MacSpeech certified and USB.

The King of Pistoleros
:V:*Beast

don't try Norton on me... it won't work...

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 11:16:25 am »

the Logitech® Premium USB Headset 350 just PWNS

for "only" USD 49.99

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=103,CONTENTID=10013

quote of the year:
(quoted by Ace:) unknown: If idiots could fly, GR would be an airport.

vanitas vanitatum, omnia vanita est...
GeT iNfEcTeD!!
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 08:34:51 pm »

Razer is mostly tripe in my opinion. It like Alienware. The Logitech G-series is a truly better mouse than the Razer offerings; I predict a user revolt against Razer soon because every gamer went to them to be different, but now are getting 'mainstream' garbage.

I went with a very well reviewed and recieved headset called the SteelSound 5H v2 USB (http://www.steelseries.com/products/steel_sound/steelsound_5h_v2_usb/information).

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
:MoD:Shade
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 05:25:49 am »

I beg to differ about Razer but my claims are solely for their mice which I think are very nice, though I have not tried enough of the competition for a true comparison.

Supernatural Pie
Useless Post-Count Whore
God bless the freaks

"Don't run, you'll only die tired."

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 07:34:43 am »

the Logitech® Premium USB Headset 350 just PWNS

for "only" USD 49.99

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=103,CONTENTID=10013

I've got that one, and when it works, it works just fine (sound quality isn't perfect, but it isn't bad, either).

However, I have found myself running into problems where I can hear certain system sounds, but not game sounds (playing AA)??

I don't know. Sometimes it's just weird. I'll have to do more testing. I still love Logitech, though. Actually, looking around, I just noticed that I have matching Logitech speakers, a headset, and a cordless mouse... and dammit, I am in love with this mouse.

Once you go cordless, you'll never go back. They're... amazing.

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti.
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 01:47:24 pm »

I beg to differ about Razer but my claims are solely for their mice which I think are very nice, though I have not tried enough of the competition for a true comparison.

I've tried Razer mice have been quite unimpressed by the look and feel factor despite a decent job with technology. I think that the Logitech G5 and G7 mice are both on par if not more advanced in technology with features such as on the fly DPI changing, on the fly weight changing (via mini weights inserted into mouse), and specifically for the G7, a cordless technology that looses nothing to USB. I have the G7, and I think it has killed the Achilles heel of wireless mice by not only removing the excessive weight by using lithium-ion for battery, but also having the battery take the form of a battery pack with can be changed in a matter of seconds (the mouse includes 2 in the box).

Other Razer technology is just badge engineered tripe (referring to their headsets and keyboards). I mean, this company which use to focus so much on games is now is releasing a normal keyboard with an iPod dock... A long while back I liked Razer, but ever since they reached a high level of fame they have been really lazy and have produced nothing innovative nor industry leading.

John Lennon
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 12:36:10 am »

However, I have found myself running into problems where I can hear certain system sounds, but not game sounds (playing AA)??

just in case... If your output is normally on speakers and you switch it to your headset to play AA make sure that you allways change the audio output in your system prefs before you start loading AA.

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
cO.twist

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 02:14:16 am »

When it comes to mice, ive played with Logitech for a long time, i started out with the MX500, then the MX510....then i decided to make a change....I went and bought the razor diamondback..i believe that was what it was called.  I tried it for 1 day ( i wouldve taken it back sooner, but i didnt want to make 2 trips that day), then i took it back, and bought the MX518.  The razor almost seemed laggy for me compared to the MX models (yes, i uninstalled the logitech drivers, installed the razor ones.  I even tried using USB Overdrive, still was laggy).  The grip/feel of the logitech mice are perfect, in my opinion.  The razor had a very uncomfortable feel for me, but that just might be because i was so used to the logitech shape.

but as far as headsets go, i haven't tried logitech, or razor.  I had the headset that cell suggested before i got my bose headset.  The sound on it is good, it just got uncomfortable for me after a few hours of continuous gaming.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 02:17:34 am by cO.twist » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads