*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:44:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip
| | |-+  Tech Talk (Moderators: *DAMN Hazard, Civrock, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | | |-+  Quadcore!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Quadcore!!  (Read 4508 times)
BTs_FahQ2

shit stinks, don't touch! drink more! beer shits!

« on: July 20, 2006, 05:16:06 pm »

Woot!

Quadcore chips have been bumped up to Q4 2006 release. Time to really put off that new desktop just a bit longer for these.

"Forgiveness is between you and your God, My job is to help arrange the meeting."
www.rmgraphix.com
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 06:13:21 pm »

They will probably cost more than 2 dual-core chips; it won't be really viable for a bit.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 09:16:00 pm »

Wher'ed you get your info from Fah mate, i'd like a bit more news!

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 09:23:42 pm »

scratch that, i got the info Smiley

(mac rumors is one site that references it

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 10:51:06 pm »

The wrong one though; originally it was Ars.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
BTs_FahQ2

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 11:37:23 pm »

actually I got it on a Intel Press release. Since I used to work with a company that was an Intel partner, I still get stuff from them to my various email accounts. It is everywhere now though, as for cost it still isn't that bad, they are introducing server and desktop models to help with costs.

"Forgiveness is between you and your God, My job is to help arrange the meeting."
www.rmgraphix.com
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 11:55:26 pm »

But woodcrest and Conroe are just out now; one quarter is hardly a usual time period to double the # of cores.

John Lennon
BTs_FahQ2

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 12:12:48 am »

i thought the same thing myst when i bought a single g5 unit and they threw in another one for basically free about 2-3 months later.

In addition the update should be pretty easy, this new processor already is speced into the bad axe2 motherboard which is being tested with the conroes, not sure what apple is using though as their base MB.

www.rmgraphix.com
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 01:50:19 am »

Hmm; but will Apple do it before MWSF or will the sit on their line up? Will kentsfield and clovertown occupy the same price points as conroe and woodcrest?

John Lennon
BTs_FahQ2

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 02:10:57 am »

Well one thing for sure is that they will have to use the clovertown's in their servers. The more cores/cpu's in a server the better, especially with the blade setups. If apple wants to remain in the server business the jump to quad is essential, right now IBM is slaying everyone with these babies, with the pricepoint and performance they have been handing Intel the cpu manufacturer and all the other server manufacturers their asses for the last year. Everyone is crying for a new quad chip.

Pricepoint for kentsfield will be a bit higher but the need is already there for most video applications. Most of these things are trying to get multi threaded just so you can get more done in a viable amount of time, it will not be a chip for everyone. If you want to use a mac for gaming, stick to the duo's, but even then it isn't worth it since most games can't even handle two yet. but when i sit here rendering shit and still have to watch the taskbar go by, i sit and still wonder how I did this shit 5 years ago, faster is always better for me.

Apple always likes to be the one who is innovative, faster and nicer so i would expect they go this route especially since they bothered to throw in dual core dual cpu's in the IBM G5's.

www.rmgraphix.com
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 09:06:53 pm »

but when i sit here rendering shit and still have to watch the taskbar go by, i sit and still wonder how I did this shit 5 years ago, faster is always better for me.

Tell me about it... and i used to think our quad was the dogs nuts... i spend freaking hours waiting for the damn thing to munch its way through video breakfast.

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 09:10:35 pm »

So you still buying Rev A at WWDC BFG?

John Lennon
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 09:56:43 pm »

Nope im looking at Rev B at Christmas'ish time . Im hessitant about Rev A's and because i've got contract work until then and access to G5s etc there i think i can keep the G4 running a little longer...

Its also cos im still a bit short of cash, and i want to pick up a 24" dell monitor (that is unless apple absolutly slash their prices of monitors to become even vagely competative).

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 09:58:11 pm »

We seems to have the same plans then.

John Lennon
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 10:06:45 pm »

excellent smithers. Id love two of the Dells they are a fantastic setup but the money dosn't stretch, and to be fair i have a perfectly respectable Lacie 19" CRT monitor which is really quite excellent. It just lacks size and width for Widescreen stuff, not to mention pallets heh.

Im not overly freaked by the prospective clocking speeds to be honest - im more concerned with the thing being stable, quiet, fast and flexible, preferably with a bit more expansion possibilities. It would be nice if apple gave us the option of more than Two internal HD bays (without having to resort to 3rd party setups). Other than that, huge storage, 4or more Gigs of ram, hopfully the nvidia 7800 card or better, and i'll be one very happy bunny!

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 10:30:57 pm »

Well, I also am after the dell monitor you are, and I also intend to keep my 19" CRT (NEC though). The card is what we disagree on; I want the X1900GT to be in there.

John Lennon
BTs_FahQ2

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 10:41:15 pm »

well the standard conroe intel MB supports dual video cards, so I can definitely see this in apples near future, their last mb design followed a lot with the standard intel's. As for dell monitors, i can't say less. I work on dual 20's and I love it. I was not really liking the internal drive bay's limited to two at first, but I got a buffalo tera station that is networkable and found no more need for more internal hd's. Basically I set up a nice internal raid, then did a mirror raid to one of the external drives and made my external accessible through my router for when I am on remote location.  This seems to be working best for me.

www.rmgraphix.com
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2006, 11:09:23 pm »

Been considering a Custom built external SATA RAID but i just haven't got the £££ to do it, or to be fair the necessity. one for the future probably since i drive myself insane with all these damn external drives and cables. The fiber-channel RAID is one to dream about Wink
X1900GT isn't something i'd sniff my nose at Myst, but i expect we'll have a whole new batch to choose from come the second Rev Pro Mac Creates arrive.

I was so set on buying a Canon Digital SLR as a stop gap until the HD camera prices drop but now what with the Pro Macs in the horizon and cameras such as the Sony Z1 (HDV) about my bank balance has had a pre-emptive heart attack so its back to reality.

Come Christmas a new create. Maybe the monitor if im lucky... maybe just tomorrows breakfast on the table.

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 11:45:19 pm »

Well, I guess thats the end of my WWDC dreams Wink.

John Lennon
WeedWacker

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 04:24:06 am »

I'm still buying plus I hear the quad-core chips are pin-compatible with the dual-core chips.

WeedWacker's guarantee:  "if I don't kill you within 3 shots, the next one's free."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads