*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:37:13 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132953 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: GameRanger on Intel Macs  (Read 8509 times)
PUNiSHER™

« on: June 24, 2006, 01:40:45 am »

GameRanger sucks on Intel Macs, I can hardly join any Ghr rooms!  I always get to the connecting screen and then it never connects.  I tried getting in 3 rooms today and couldn't join.  Also I can't join Age of the Empires 2 games and Age of Mythology games.  If you buy Intel your handicaped from GameRanger.
There will be no clan battling from me this season since I will never be able to join another clans server!  Kiss Punisher goodbye.  wallbashing

PC gaming universe here I come!   Cool
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 09:11:27 pm by PUNiSHER™ » Logged

Po~ReverendMoss

Teabaggin' griefers since the Dawn of the Milennia

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 02:00:31 am »

That's a bummer, Big Pun. It won't be long, though.
I'm sure Evill is working on the problem right now!

:End Transmission:
<82ndAB>Tigah
Forum Whore

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 02:59:26 am »

he is working on the problem. Basically, because gr's new network system doesn't support intels, the hosts need to forward their ports - at least that's how I understood it. So you probably need to talk to a few hosts and see if they can do that.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR
ghost.fr

http://monks.4yu.fr

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 03:01:25 pm »

he is working on the problem. Basically, because gr's new network system doesn't support intels, the hosts need to forward their ports -

well gr's new network system doesn't support any mac if i reffer to my pings and lags on any hosts

still after 6 month of installing Gr updates we still have lags !!!

so only ip joining is realy a solution
[a] LYNX
BL Staff

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 07:42:09 pm »

wow, six month already...

[a] LYNX
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 10:23:11 pm »

And well over a year since V4 was released... given the intel macs now i wonder whether GR isn't going to eventually be completely pushed out the market however.

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
ghost.fr

http://monks.4yu.fr

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 11:42:11 am »

soon we will start windows apps in OSX and then who needs GR??
{E} Ive

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 01:25:30 am »

really is a pain only room I can play in is Mags
GeeThaX

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 05:44:43 pm »

i also think so about gaming in GR with intel its just DAMN! Sad
Today i tried to install windows on my new imac but there was a big problem:
"Please update your Firmware!" despite the fact that ive done it already.
then i read a topic on apple.com which says (in my situation Sad) that ive to wait
till there is the next boot camp version. my advise (if u use your mac especially for gamin'):
stay with power macs! for workin' and so on intel is better but at the moment this is the only pro. Angry

greetings, gee
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 05:48:37 pm by GeeThaX » Logged

20" Intel iMac 2GHz Core Duo
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 07:28:30 pm »

There are many other ways besides bootcamp to install windows, but I would assume not to get you over your head as you don't seem to know that much about computers.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
Scott_Kevill

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 08:34:54 pm »

The new networking feature in GameRanger uses some low-level tricks to patch the games as it launches them. This is fine on PowerPCs, but Apple decided to block that in the Intel version of Mac OS X only. They knew they couldn't block it in the PowerPC version because there would be massive complaints of other software that stopped working as well. With the Intel transition, it just means that users will expect by default that it's the developer's fault. I have been working on solutions for this.

This isn't really related to GameRanger being a Universal Binary. There are a few users testing that, and it works fine (VERY FAST), but has the same networking problem.

The fact that there are so many games that you can't join means that people do want the networking feature, assuming it's working properly. Hardly surprising, people don't like port-forwarding.

ghost.fr, the lagging only affects one game, Ghost Recon. The rest are fine.

Over the last few months I've redesigned and rewritten that portion of the networking feature and it has become reasonably streamlined now. Anyone that has joined 357mag's Ghost Recon server recently will have seen the results of those tests. There have been many incremental improvements along the way, but rather than subject people to a flurry of releases (and make objective results even more difficult), I'm trying to optimise it as much as possible first.

Back to the Intel problem, a general solution for all games may take some time to solve. However, for some specific games like Ghost Recon, I will probably get Aspyr to release an updater for it so that the patching tricks are not required.

Scott.

GameRanger - the multiplayer online gaming service
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 10:01:59 pm »

Although it normally sounds otherwise on these forums Scott, i know a lot of folk appreciate the work your putting into it for essentially still a free service.

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
gsr

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 11:28:04 pm »

I gotta second that BFG and also thanks to Scott for giving us an update.
[a] LYNX
BL Staff

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 09:37:41 pm »

i would like to to second that too but right now i had another of these not so cool experiences: i tried to host and it just didnt work. noone could join, not just intels, noone. i resetted my connection, restarted and prayed but it didnt help. of course, the ip game i then started worked wonderfull.

its a real long time since i heard someone over the voice feature. teamspeex really sucks but interesting enough, lotsa ppl can use it, tho theres nowhere a guide to it and tho they cant setup their portforwardings (right?)...

why noone but ghr-players have trouble? because rvs doesnt have the feature and these two games are the only fps games on gameranger.

did i mention solo games with 8+ ppl are unplayable? team games with 12+ are nearly unplayable? all ghr of course.

i really appreciate future improvements. but i also guess that implementing the other improvements from 4.5 into the 4.1.2 client wouldnt take a thousand of the time you spend with streamlining around apples design decisions.

[a] LYNX
Scott_Kevill

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 08:52:38 am »

i would like to to second that too but right now i had another of these not so cool experiences: i tried to host and it just didnt work. noone could join, not just intels, noone. i resetted my connection, restarted and prayed but it didnt help. of course, the ip game i then started worked wonderfull.

Was this the first time you had hosted since 4.5.2? Clear the server password in Ghost Recon. Should work fine after that.

Scott.

GameRanger - the multiplayer online gaming service
[a] LYNX
BL Staff

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006, 06:56:37 pm »

yea that was it. thx.

[a] LYNX
:MoD:Shade
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2006, 01:33:41 am »

Gameranger won't even open on my MacBook Pro.

GR Crash Log says:

Code:
Rosetta Version:  17.15
Args:  /Applications/GameRanger /Applications/GameRanger -psn_0_3407873
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

Thread 0: Crashed (0xb7fffa10, 0xb809f945)
0x90cb28d0: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Versions/A/CarbonCore : _RMOpenResourceFileRef + 0x58
0x90823f04: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation : __CFBundleCopyInfoDictionaryInResourceForkWithAllocator + 0x68
0x90cb23d4: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Versions/A/CarbonCore : __CSCheckFix + 0x174
0x90ca8ffc: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Versions/A/CarbonCore : _PBGetCatalogInfoSync + 0x230
0x90ca8dbc: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Versions/A/CarbonCore : _FSGetCatalogInfo + 0x2c
0x90cf26b4: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Versions/A/CarbonCore : _CCFM_FSGetFileRef + 0x120
0x0000221c: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Support/LaunchCFMApp : _main + 0xace
0x000019c8: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Support/LaunchCFMApp : __start + 0x154
0x00001870: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Support/LaunchCFMApp : start + 0x3c
0x08faffbf: No symbol

PUNiSHER™

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2006, 05:55:26 pm »

Thats a weird one, did you download gameranger and do a clean install?  I have a MacBook Pro too but mine didn't do that.

+OnlyOne+

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2006, 09:58:41 pm »

Pun....according to the 'news' section on GameRanger, Evill's got a fix coming to address the Intel issue very soon. I'm a little skeptical as I've been having the same problems you've described. All we can do is hope. wallbashing

+OnlyOne+
:MoD:Shade
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2006, 05:51:15 pm »

That worked Pun, thx.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads