*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:47:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip
| | |-+  Tech Talk (Moderators: *DAMN Hazard, Civrock, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | | |-+  MacBook released (Intel-iBook)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: MacBook released (Intel-iBook)  (Read 4291 times)
Civrock
God save the Royal Whorealots

« on: May 16, 2006, 02:54:29 pm »

http://www.apple.com/macbook/macbook.html

I especially like the black version, so stylish.

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
Supernatural Pie
Useless Post-Count Whore
God bless the freaks

"Don't run, you'll only die tired."

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 03:44:33 pm »

I'm really confused about the price differences...

It seems like for the exact same model, getting it in black would cost you $150 (USD) more than white (Assuming you add $50 to get the extra 20 GB so that the top two base models match in specs).

Does anyone see what else the high-end model offers other than the fact that it's black...?

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti.
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 04:03:02 pm »

Civic do you have already one at the AppleStore you work at, or are you judging from the pictures!?

If you can see it in real - how is the reflexion of the display? Can it be used while external light, or the sun shines on it, or goes it to "mirror" mode?

Bye,

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
:MoD:Shade
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 04:12:06 pm »

"Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory1"

*Gags*

*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 04:21:01 pm »

Well, what did you expect for this price!? Sure a ATI 1400 or something like that would have been great but I think we are stucked with an iMac or MBP if you wanna play(also in Windows XP).

Nevertheless I really like the new MacBooks and I'm eager to see one in real.

@ 12' PB: I think it's a pity that we lost the ultraportable size/format of the 12 inch Powerbook, which was 5cm less in width than the new MacBook.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 04:38:50 pm by *DAMN Mauti » Logged

since 13th June 2000
Ethion
Forum Whore

2x1.8 G5 at your service

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 07:36:09 pm »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pealco/sets/72057594136649292/

God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 07:53:28 pm »

Even the old iBook's had regular video cards, that's all we need is something seperate and not shared.

*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 07:59:00 pm »

I know, and I would wish that they would have built in a seperate graphic card, at least for the top 13inch model. So it really replaces the 12in Powerbook. As trade off you now have the same speeds as the Pro models.

However I think the 950 shared card can keep up with the old 9550 in the former iMac. So at least it doesn't get worse...

You better buy an iMac for gaming or wait for the towers to arrive.

since 13th June 2000
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 08:09:26 pm »

Yeah this certainly isn't geared towards gaming, mostly iLife apps is what they're really focusing on it seems.

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 09:50:57 pm »

Even the old iBook's had regular video cards, that's all we need is something seperate and not shared.

Your forgetting though mate that the new integrated graphics chips are nothing like what we were talking a few years ago, ok yeah i hate them and i think it sucks ass, however they aren't pushovers and considering the market (gaming ignored off course in classic apple style) they'll do the job... cheaply

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 10:11:39 pm »

Can't we all just be happy that the damn thing has such a fast processor... When was the last time the small screen notebook had the same clock speed as the 15 inch. These are great little computers. My only question is how the glossy display looks (I've seen some good ones... others that were terrible).

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 08:37:13 am »

At all I'm very happy with the MB as successor to the iBook, but I think as successor to the 12in Powerbook a dedicated graphic card is missing, which should be available at a higher price. Further I think they could save some space left and right from the display to shrink the size.

At all I think the performance of these beasts will be fantastic, and yes it's great to see the same performance level as the bigger MBPs. No virtual castration of performance =)

since 13th June 2000
PUNiSHER™

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 10:05:15 am »

I wish the "MacBook Pro" would have a black option like the "MacBook", since the Pro uses the sleek metal color it should have a black-metal option.  I don't like how these cheap "MacBook" buyers get this option while the people paying a whole lot more for the Pro model don't.  I think the keyboard on the "MacBook" looks even better than the one on the Pro.  The Pro is using the same kind of keyboard the Powerbook has been using for years.  The "MacBook" looks like its harder for things to fall or get stuck inbetween the keys.  Maybe that keyboard is cheaper to make but it sure as hell to me looks alot better.  Apple's cheaper level laptop now has features that can make its higher level laptop users jealous.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 10:08:34 am by *BLADE™ » Logged

*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 11:50:30 am »

Well the MacBook is the first new designed Mac using Intel processors. I think with the next iteration of the Powerbook, ehm MBP, you gonna also see a new design, featuring the magnetic latch, a new keyboard and more... However I doubt that it will have a colour option.

For now you have to go with an updated version of the old Powerbook just with Intels inside.

since 13th June 2000
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 08:43:55 pm »

I have a feeling that the reason the Macbook Pro's has the metal finish is because it gets much much hotter than the MacBooks and the aluminum is needed to conduct the heat away from everything inside.

If you were to take the Macbook Pro and spraypaint it black the thing would catch on fire, heh.

Also what I find odd is something that was already pointed out and that's the price difference.  If you look at it it's like $200 for black and a slightly larger HDD.  If they're trying to make it more like their iPod lineup then why don't they make it identical in that regarless of color its the same price.

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 10:02:34 pm »

The MacBook Pro and MacBook's highest heat problem is the CPU, and they use the same one. The only reason metal is used is because it is the "pro" look Apple wants to maintain. The reason it's more expensive probably has to do with it's more limited production scale (remember business courses... if you took any). Their current style of levels to colour is the most efficient way as production can be more specific and volume can scale easier. MacBook Pros will likely be overhauled with the Merom introduction in August to October.

Updates will be more regular; the MacBook Pro has already be changed 3 times since introduction.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2006, 04:10:38 am »

http://www.macworld.com/2006/05/firstlooks/macbookbench/index.php

As expected CPU intensive performance is good, anything that uses the graphics card suffers.

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2006, 07:46:35 am »

That's a half-truth, Shade. Sure it isn't iMac/MacBookPro/etc level, but it beats it's predecessor. That is sort of what counts in it's class. People shouldn't buy a MacBook to game; hell I wouldn't even want to play real games on a 13" widescreen... what would be the point of that.

John Lennon
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2006, 06:10:27 pm »

Who said they were buying MacBooks to game?

I just said that any graphics intensive process does not perform as well.

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2006, 08:04:19 pm »

Who said they were buying MacBooks to game?

I just said that any graphics intensive process does not perform as well.

Such as Games... or Maya. Things like Photoshop hardly use GPU to a point it would suffer; so what else were you thinking people would use that are "Graphics intensive"? What would you personally use that is "Graphics intensive" on a 13" $1099 notebook?

John Lennon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads