*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 05:40:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip
| | |-+  Tech Talk (Moderators: *DAMN Hazard, Civrock, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | | |-+  In expectation of 10.4.6...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: In expectation of 10.4.6...  (Read 4320 times)
Civrock
God save the Royal Whorealots

« on: March 22, 2006, 03:04:45 pm »

"Along with the "Ultimate Gamer's iMac" based around dual ATi X1900-class graphics cards which we have reported on recently, Apple is reportedly developing an "Ultimate Gamer's MacBook," which will be a counterpoint to the midrange 'MacBook Thin' due out this spring. Read More

Mac OS X 10.4.6 is coming along slowly but surely, according to developer sources; one of the chief improvements is a significant overhaul of Tiger's graphics engines in preparation for this summer's gamer-related announcements. Steve Jobs wants to be able to announce that the Mac is the ultimate platform for game players and game developers not only because it's easy to use and easy to develop for -- but because it has the best, most efficient OpenGL 3D graphics implementation anywhere. A substantial performance boost will be a cornerstone of those announcements and 10.4.6 is intended to deliver that boost. "

It's been 'reported' in rumors before that Apple is working on (much) better gaming support in several aspects, especially OpenGL. Apparently some significant changes are planned with 10.4.6 and future hardware releases. We'll see, heh.

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
Ethion
Forum Whore

2x1.8 G5 at your service

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 03:08:44 pm »

this make me wonder what they can do with the "pro" computers, when it comes to gaming.

and by pro I mean the stationary computers like "Power"mac.

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 03:15:00 pm »

You mean like bringing SLI / Crossfire to the mac? ... not that most of us could afford it heh.

hmm it would be nice if Apple pulled their fingers out their behinds and brought Open GL up to speed on OSX ... we are seriously lagging.

ps... As much as i find DirectX the evil reincarnation of the devils spawn, any possibilities now of a Mac version?

pps.... whats the accuracy record from that website?, i can't help but be a little sceptic.

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
Ethion
Forum Whore

2x1.8 G5 at your service

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 05:07:50 pm »

DirectX is Microsofts baby..

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 05:43:39 pm »

Which is why i wonder if there is a chance we will see it on the mac at some point...

Its in microsofts interest to do as much damage to Open GL as possible - they want everyone using DirectX - the last thing they want are PC game developers looking at OpenGL.

What with the new intel processors, the talk of a big boost of switchers and new people looking at the macs as gaming machines, would it be in microsofts interest to say 'hey lets wrap up that market as well so all games everywhere use DirectX.. or are they going to give a damn at all?' 

Perhaps maybe i should ask, what is it that is stopping microsoft from providing DirectX on mac? i guess you could say because it would remove a huge huge hurdle that is stopping PC users from switching to mac.

Ethion
Forum Whore

2x1.8 G5 at your service

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 07:41:09 pm »

Perhaps maybe i should ask, what is it that is stopping microsoft from providing DirectX on mac? i guess you could say because it would remove a huge huge hurdle that is stopping PC users from switching to mac.

It would probably make some of the macintosh porting companies to go into bankruptcy.
In that it would be MUCH easier to make the games hybrids. Just they need different binaries.

Cobra

Slap ma fro!

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 08:01:38 pm »

I could see the software improvements happening when 10.4.6 is released (maybe...hope so!), but I really, really don't think we'll be seeing an "Ultimate Gamer's Mac" of any flavor anytime soon.  The software (number and types of games) just isn't there to justify Apple developing+selling it or customers purchasing it.  There needs to be a spark somewhere that will drive the 'more original Mac games' / 'Apple cares about gaming on its platform' cycle, but I'm really betting it's not going to begin with Apple suddenly deciding to throw multiple GPUs into their laptop line.

Not that Apple will never focus on selling multi-GPU machines of some sort; I just can't see an Apple laptop being pushed specifically to gamers at this point.

Anyone else sort of doubting an imminent Super-Ultimate Gaming Mac?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 08:10:34 pm by Cobra » Logged

If you don't like the way I drive, get off the damn sidewalk!
:MoD:Shade
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 09:05:20 pm »

The idea of a Gaming Mac does sound quite appealing, but like Cobra said Gaming on Mac is a vast minority compared to the amount of mac's used in the creative (video, audio, ect.) world. 

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 10:17:29 pm »

Anyone else sort of doubting an imminent Super-Ultimate Gaming Mac?

Im holding my arms as wide apart as possible to try and demonstrate just how big i think the reality distortion field is surrounding whoever really thought up the rumour that apple would produce a special mac gaming machine. ... pity i don't have bigger arms.

Cobra

Slap ma fro!

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 10:41:42 pm »

Wink  And with your 17' wingspan, that's saying something!

If you don't like the way I drive, get off the damn sidewalk!
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 01:19:54 am »

You guys did recognized the source of that right? Mac OS Rumors is usually the butt-end of jokes whenever they post this trash. The last time they predicted correctly is when they told last week's news.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
:MoD:Shade
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 01:30:01 am »

Considering no other rumor sites have backed this info up, usually Mac Rumors and Think Secret report on the same thing, namely Mac Rumors quotes what Think Secret says but still.

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 01:38:30 am »

Considering no other rumor sites have backed this info up, usually Mac Rumors and Think Secret report on the same thing, namely Mac Rumors quotes what Think Secret says but still.

No, you don't understand, Mac OS Rumors is regarded as a joke site. Search for it's name on Apple Insider's forums.

Example:
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60989&highlight=Gamer
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 01:42:28 am by Mysterio » Logged

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 11:33:42 am »

10.4.6 has been released...

The 10.4.6 Update is recommended for all users and includes general operating system fixes, as well as specific fixes for the following applications and technologies:

- login and authentication in a variety of network environments
- file access and byte range locking with AFP file sharing
- network access when using proxy server automatic configuration files
- connecting to Cisco VPN servers using IP/Sec
- using Bluetooth wireless devices
- searching iWork '06 and Microsoft Office documents with Spotlight
- saving Word documents automatically when using a network home directory
- creating Automator workflows for iPhoto 6
- synchronizing contacts and calendars to .Mac and mobile phones
- mounting and unmounting iDisk volumes
- compatibility with third party applications and devices
- previous standalone security updates

So no mention of Open GL... thats a bit of a crapper and no mistake i guess we have to hold out for 10.5

Anyone upgraded, had any issues or have anything to report? Im rather curious why the update needs to reboot the computer twice after upgrading... seems kinda unusual!

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 10:27:15 pm »

Now can we all agree not to trust MOSR... On the bright side there will be virtualization on Intel Macs within the next few weeks (see MacNN or MacRumors).

John Lennon
Ethion
Forum Whore

2x1.8 G5 at your service

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 11:48:19 pm »

yeah BFG, I was like wtf when that happened.

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 11:02:04 am »

Well i upgraded without any problems - not a lot to report in terms of noticeable difference but everything is running happily... good times Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads