*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 07:29:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mini v Media Centre in battle of the DVR!  (Read 3386 times)
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« on: March 13, 2006, 02:58:56 pm »

Thought one or two of you might be interested in keeping an eye on this; c|nets look at how the mac mini faces up in a punch up against the media centre... kinda odd considering the mini is not sold as a media centre, but hey in round one is seems to manage all-right.

Will be interesting to see how it shapes up as they look at the other aspects of what your media hub thingy majiggy needs to do... hopfully they'll have a look at audio, networking and content streams Smiley

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 06:05:09 pm »

The Mini isn't a media center until it gets a tuner. Personally I don't see why you yanks all want the HD/etc tuners... maybe it's different in the US/etc. In Canada the cable co. gives you a box that works with their stuff. If it isn't one of the supported boxes it doesn't work. Obviously there's something different in the US.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 06:14:57 pm »

No idea myst, over here its going to be different again i guess.

Kinda bugs me though the article, as somebody pointed out:

There's a few horrible flaws to this piece. The first is media center is an OS, a mac-mini is a piece of hardware + an OS. There is no reason why someone with some technical knowledge could not build a pc as quiet as a mac-mini and put media center on it.

Its a bit daft... OSX dosn't have a specific 'Media centre' version, yet it looks like people compare the two as if it does and was marketed as such. not to mention the weird mix up between hardware and software!

Ethion
Forum Whore

2x1.8 G5 at your service

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 06:58:17 pm »

No idea myst, over here its going to be different again i guess.

Kinda bugs me though the article, as somebody pointed out:

There's a few horrible flaws to this piece. The first is media center is an OS, a mac-mini is a piece of hardware + an OS. There is no reason why someone with some technical knowledge could not build a pc as quiet as a mac-mini and put media center on it.

Its a bit daft... OSX dosn't have a specific 'Media centre' version, yet it looks like people compare the two as if it does and was marketed as such. not to mention the weird mix up between hardware and software!

Even though, you could easily customize it to work with a regular remote.

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 08:25:27 pm »

Why? So you can? I don't see any current software that needs anything besides the Apple remote right now.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Ethion
Forum Whore

2x1.8 G5 at your service

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 09:20:19 pm »

Why? So you can? I don't see any current software that needs anything besides the Apple remote right now.

It's just a you can thing. But theres apps so you can use other remotes, like the ATI one and so on.

The wonder of scripters.

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 10:04:36 pm »

It does also have bluetooth. why not just get a cheap keyboard and mouse instead?

John Lennon
Ethion
Forum Whore

2x1.8 G5 at your service

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 10:46:18 pm »

It does also have bluetooth. why not just get a cheap keyboard and mouse instead?

so you rather clunk away with a keyboard and a mouse in your living room than a remote?

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 11:31:42 pm »

You prefer a remote with 153 small buttons and a toggle to a proper keyboard and mouse that would let you browse the internet and, hell, type?

John Lennon
Ethion
Forum Whore

2x1.8 G5 at your service

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 12:04:27 pm »

Why would you want to do that if you want to use the computer as a media center?

If I want to browse the internet, I would use my real computer.

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 12:26:13 pm »

Handbags back in the holsters boys, blimey!

The macmini isn't trying to sell itself as a Media Centre - and the 'media centre pc's' are far far from the ideal set up that most of us would like or even consider to have in our living rooms. Personally i think the issue of the remote is pretty minimal - what do you use a remote for? - to change tracks/channels, to adjust volume, to stop and start ... can u do all that with the mac remote? yes.  If you wanted to set up a record schedule would you prefer a 300 button remote or a keyboard and mouse... im tellin you now i wouldn't even look at the remote.

We're mixing up use and product and everything else... You've both got valid points but i get the sense there is a bit of miscommunication between having a 'media centre' and having a media centric pc in your living room... not to mention what it is you actually want and need from an additional piece of kit.

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 07:03:24 pm »

Why would you take away the advantage [keyboard and mouse] of having a OS below FrontRow is the only question I have for Ethion.

John Lennon
Ethion
Forum Whore

2x1.8 G5 at your service

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 10:34:29 am »

Why would you take away the advantage [keyboard and mouse] of having a OS below FrontRow is the only question I have for Ethion.

I'm not really saying that a remote is better than a keyboard and a mouse. But theres alot of things you could do with only a remote. If you're infact only going to use it as a media center.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads