*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:41:40 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132953 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  *DAMN (Moderators: *DAMN Mauti, BFG)
| | |-+  *DAMN Installers
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: *DAMN Installers  (Read 3043 times)
Vermin

« on: October 22, 2005, 10:36:40 pm »

"Damn installers"... yes, literally.

I've been keeping this to myself for some time, but after I gave the iGuard 2.1 Updater a shot, I was too provoked to let this pass once again. I've been downloading modifications from here for quite some time, and I'm getting really tired of constantly having to put up with installers that don't do their job. Don't get me wrong - I do appreciate the effort of whoever keeps making them, but I really do believe that the modifications, updaters and whatnot would be much better off without.

As I mentioned, I recently experienced issues with the iGuard 2.1 Updater, because I, for one, tend to rename some of my game folders to easier-scannable equivalents, such as "Rainbow Six 3 - Raven Shield" to simply "Raven Shield". Apparently, this is yet another thing that makes the *Damn Installers go nuts and toss random errors at you. Earlier, I've had issues with the iGuard 1.0 and 2.0 Installers for some obscure reason (or, according to the installer, "error 1049" or some such) and had to reinstall my Raven Shield because the Installer had left the installation process half-done and left me unable to launch the game.

It's really annoying guys, and I beg you to stop making installers and rather providing a simple read-me file on what files to replace. If that's out of the question considering not-so-proficient users and whatnot, please consider having manual installs of all modifications available (I know iGuard 2.0 now has one - thanks, I used that one to great success).

All the best,
Verm.
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 06:42:17 pm »

The iGuard installers are made by their authors and not *DAMN. We just mirror the files.

Generally most user prefer installers if a lot of files in different directories are being replaced or updated. However your suggestion to add a file that mentions what the installer is looking for will be added in the future.

Last but not least in all, at least most, *DAMN installers you can set a different install folder so you can e.g. install all files to your desktop.

Regards,

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
Vermin

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 03:20:26 pm »

Thanks. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: