*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 05:05:13 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  *DAMN
| | |-+  Suggestions, opinions, criticisms,.. (Moderators: *DAMN Mauti, jn.loudnotes, BFG, Civrock)
| | | |-+  Signature Images
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Signature Images  (Read 5555 times)
bronto
« on: August 06, 2004, 10:27:56 pm »

i am posting because i think that we should be allowed to have signature images, within a certain specification of size (of mauti's choosing). they must be hosted on external sites, as not to consume brandwidth and load time. i do not see why this should not be allowed, it will not have any negative effects on the way the site functions, and it will add lots of color and make it more interesting. i find that a forum with sig images is much more appealing. anyone want to second this suggestion? anyone want to give me some reasons why it should not be allowed? mauti, your thoughts?
Civrock
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 10:38:55 pm »

i'd like to have sigpics as long as they're inbetween some given sigpic guidelines.

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
bronto
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 08:17:12 am »

we could host them on Photobucket.com and eat their bandwidth for having such a stupid name.
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 08:45:21 am »

I personally hate signature images. They clutter up the page. I'm in it for the words, not to look at some picture attatched to someone's name.

On top of that, even if they're small, they still greatly increase load time for any dial up users.

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 12:12:18 pm »

Typhy already named the reasons: pics can screw the layout of the page, loading times are unpredictable, and you can't really control how large the sig pics are. Some noobs are using 1MB pics in their sig. Cocobolo already had all these issues at his forum part.

Once the forum supports an option that removes all signature pics I may add some guidelines, but as long I want it to stay clean. There is a mod for this forum but it had the problem that it also removed all other pics. May they can work this bug out or when we upgrade to simplemachines.org.

Bye,

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
bronto
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 10:33:31 pm »

well whoodidally. so you are saying that there is going to be a forum mod that allows you to add specifications in which the signature must be within, otherwise it will automatically be disallowed? that sounds cool with me if that's what you're saying. even if your eye gets pulled away from the words for a second, it's not like you can't move that eye back again. and the load time issue really isn't a problem, there are tons of fast free image hosting services, and you can just make the specifications on the mod thing make sure that they don't go over a certain size. and no one's on 56k anymore unless they're on it to temporarily fix up their high speed connection. please consider sig images in the future, when you have a forum mod to control them. thanks malti!
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2004, 09:02:43 pm »

No, there is a mod that inverts your signature link pic to an URL. So people can ignore your sigpic. Every registered user would have a button in their prefs to turn sigpics on and off.

Bye,

Mauti
ps: if this mod is final I gonna think about allowing it.

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2004, 09:05:44 pm »

well whoodidally. so you are saying that there is going to be a forum mod that allows you to add specifications in which the signature must be within, otherwise it will automatically be disallowed? that sounds cool with me if that's what you're saying. even if your eye gets pulled away from the words for a second, it's not like you can't move that eye back again. and the load time issue really isn't a problem, there are tons of fast free image hosting services, and you can just make the specifications on the mod thing make sure that they don't go over a certain size. and no one's on 56k anymore unless they're on it to temporarily fix up their high speed connection. please consider sig images in the future, when you have a forum mod to control them. thanks malti!

Why do you want sig images in the first place? They're just a waste of space on the page. They're completly unnescessary. You've got a profile picture, that's plenty.

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
Civrock

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2004, 10:41:33 pm »

you have no profile picture... you have an avatar, which is standard in every forum.

some forums have a feature so you can put a photo of yourself in the profile (only visible when you check the profile of the user) and the avatar for outside, the posts.

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2004, 12:47:08 am »

some forums have a feature so you can put a photo of yourself in the profile (only visible when you check the profile of the user) and the avatar for outside, the posts.

Something like that would be nice, but realistically, many of us have absolutely no intrest in looking at a sig picture, it's just something that slows down our load times and takes up space on the page.

bronto
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 04:12:20 am »

Why do you want sig images in the first place? They're just a waste of space on the page. They're completly unnescessary. You've got a profile picture, that's plenty.

they're fun Cheesy! i mean why not, you can't say no if you have the ability to just turn them off can you? besides, i know you wanna show off some l33t photoshoping wifey.

(can i call you my wifey from now on?Wink)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 04:16:58 am by *NADS bronto » Logged
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2004, 05:34:31 am »

Of course you can, Bwonty. Wink

If you turn them off, then I could care less. I just don't see the point, and I find 'em kinda annoying.

bronto
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2004, 08:19:41 am »

i have a feeling you're gonna have a lot of off-button-clicking to do wifey.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2004, 12:19:34 am »

I don't get it.... Arn't forums for words? If people want to show picutures u just stick a url up to the pic. Typhy said it;  I'm in it for the words, not to look at some picture attatched to someone's name.

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
BTs_GhostSniper
*DAMN Supporter ][ *DAMN Staff

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2004, 02:04:29 am »

I don't get it.... Arn't forums for words? If people want to show picutures u just stick a url up to the pic. Typhy said it;  I'm in it for the words, not to look at some picture attatched to someone's name.

If that is true, then drop your avatar, mate.[/size]  Wink

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2004, 12:11:44 pm »

Good Point GS... Let me re-phrase that since i do actually like the lil avator picks and would hate to see my sheep get shot!

We all allready have pictures if we want - even animated pics. Surely its more inportant that the forums remain quick and uncluttered - without pages getting screwed up and problems being created where Mauti or Elandrion have to waste time fixing them, than to allow a few individuals to stick extra pictures on every single message they post... thats why we have the my pictures! !

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2004, 12:16:29 am »

Go to the MacNN forums and look at how good they use signature pictures in a good way. Just a little design with their name and it looks good. Not some huge thing.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
jn.loudnotes
God bless the freaks

I'm tired of being creative.

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2004, 04:33:25 pm »

Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue  Embarrassed Lips Sealed

Just thought I'd remind you of a few of the pictures we already have here.  Don't forget that if you want an image in any post, it's not hard to do using the img tags.

You argue that people who don't want to see the signature pics should have to turn them off - I say you should have to manually insert every picture you want in a post.  It might discourage you from using up excessive bandwidth if you have to insert each image by hand.

< insert clever and original signature here >
bronto
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2004, 06:32:25 am »

if it's an option to just turn off a user's sig, it really wouldn't take much effort, there aren't many people on this forum. assuming 75 percent of regular forum posters on this forum used sig images, a person who wanted to remove every single one of them would probably only have to click about 10-20 times tops. it's really not a problem, and for the many people who want sig images, it'll make the board that much more fun. so why not?
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2004, 07:56:17 am »

so why not?

Why?

Who wants to look at someone sig picture? If you've got a picture you really want people to see, link them. Give them a choice.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads