*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:11:41 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  Gaming (All your Gaming needs are here!) (Moderator: *DAMN Hazard)
| | |-+  Improving framerate + new graphic drivers
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Improving framerate + new graphic drivers  (Read 14540 times)
Jeb
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

i heart ghostsniper's austrian wife

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2003, 07:32:22 am »

I've only had the chance to play GHR on 3 computers
a imac 700, g4 466, and a tibook 400. The g4 466 runs it the best because of the geforce3 in it, plus the ram. As you can see i've never had a chance to play a cpu intensive game on anything with a decent cpu, however there has been a time in which i saw 63fps in the display. Bucc has also mentioned he gets above 60fps sometimes on his comp with a nvidia card in it.
Is the case for you that you max out at 60fps usually... if so what brand graphics card do you have.

update...
I just did some testing on my shitty slow computer and i pulled 68fps with some tuning(http://homepage.mac.com/farmerjeb/68.jpg). In your options.xml file make sure texture compression is off, and default mipmapping is on with the level of detail looking like
<MipMapLODBias>-0.000001</MipMapLODBias>
those seem to be the fastest settings without any noticeable differences in graphics.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2003, 08:06:40 am by Jeb » Logged

No sig pics please! - Mauti
Next time you get a ban, Jeb.
|?K|*R@p1d*: i mean, i'm like the worst rs player ever
STuRM
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2003, 11:27:49 pm »

Flies,

Ha Det Bra!

(Gasp) I would never pull a fast one on a buddy for the sake of a pint!  I would rather buy you a case!  

Dual 800 Quicksilver G4
OSX Jaguar (10.26)
NVIDIA GeForce2 TwinView (twinview not currently in use)
stock driver with software update from Apple

Conditions of screenshot:

Single Player-Firefight
Embassy
DS and IT activated
Zoomed into wall
I set my finder resolution to match my GhR resolution (1024x768)
Dead bodies Off
15 bullet holes
Vehicle shadows None
Blood On
Mipmap On
Music Off
USE EAX False

I am able to acheive higher than 60 fps regularly but only for seconds at a time--it crests and drops.  When my fps are under 60, the framerate text is yellow, when severely low the text turns red, and when at 60 or higher the text is green.  The enemy AI seems to cause the most fps problems.  

I will have to get myself across the pond to Denmark to enjoys those pints with you.  We can talk about girls as well!!!! :O
I am trying to boost my fps further so I will have more intel for you on the subject as well.  PM me anytime on GR or email.  Tusen t?kk f?r pint l?l,

+MOD+STuRM

Tongue
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2003, 02:02:44 am »

Compress textures off improved my fps a lot but only without mipmapping. Mipmapping drops my fps.

(imac 400 8MB ATI 384MB RAM 200assigned to GR OS9)

BYe,

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
BeefyFigure
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2003, 06:02:17 pm »

I would like to apologize in advance if this is going off-topic, but I've been wanting to share this with someone for a long time.  I have never been answered to this and I hope you will, so here goes:

GhR runs somewhere between 10-40 FPS for me ? 10-20 FPS in the open, 25-40 FPS if I'm inside a house or other, and somewhere between 5-10 FPS when I'm being either fired upon from close, or when others open fire ?, and my computer is similar to that of Mauti, except for the fact Mauti has got more RAM.  I run GhR at an 800 x 600 x 16 resolution; trees set to 'medium'; character detail set to 'high'; map detail on 'medium'; a maximum amount of 30 bullets; effects set to 'medium'; buffer-depth on 'lowest'; team shadows on 'medium'; and otherwise, no shadows at all.  Usually my screen turns white after I've finished a single player game, and that with no other applications running but GhR.  Even setting my graphics to the lowest possible would still end with same result.  So in essence, most of you are right.

Other than that, I have absolutely no idea how the other maps in GhR are.  I play GhR demo.  'Castle' is the only map that can be played on and I think it is the smallest among the others.  But then again, I might be wrong.  So I am rather unsure about buying the full game.  Any thoughts?
BeefyFigure
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2003, 12:23:58 pm »

Wow, I never realized it was that simple.  But one thing has been left unanswered: Will I get about the same amount of FPS I get on 'Castle' on all other maps?  Obviously 'Castle' is the smallest map among the others.  
[[EUR]] HoloGram

Don't worry be happy

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2003, 12:56:52 pm »

nop. U will not! I some maps u will have more FPS in some less. The bigger the map the less FPS. And there are much biger maps. And a few smaller.

veni, vidi, vici
#SKUL Mr. President (Founder & Leader)
BeefyFigure
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2003, 12:11:53 am »

Argh, I knew it!  What should I do, damnit?
BeefyFigure
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2003, 11:03:55 am »

Why am I not being answered?  All I'm asking is for any one of you to give me the bottom-line: should I, or should I not purchase GhR?
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2003, 11:05:15 am »

I would get it if you asked for that.

Bye,

Mauti

since 13th June 2000
[[EUR]] HoloGram

Don't worry be happy

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2003, 12:11:08 pm »

it is a nice game. Get it. Try it. And may be buy a new Mac ( g5? )

veni, vidi, vici
BeefyFigure
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2003, 01:12:09 pm »

Alright, thanks ? you've all been very helpful.

Just one more thing however: Where do I get the proper update for GhR?  I believe it is version 1.4.
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2003, 01:26:43 pm »

I.e. *DAMN Mac Downloads under patches Wink

since 13th June 2000
[[EUR]] HoloGram

Don't worry be happy

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2003, 10:54:51 pm »

I  have the best idea for all!

GET THE NEW G5 -lol-

veni, vidi, vici
Supernatural Pie
Useless Post-Count Whore
God bless the freaks

"Don't run, you'll only die tired."

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2003, 06:54:51 am »

I was wondering what kind of framerates people with G4 700 imacs get.
I'm usually around low 30's. Everyone 10 hosts or so, i'll manage to get around 60, but that's very rare. Sometimes if i'm running, i'll get 20's or 10's (if it's in a field or something with lots of trees).

I feel like this is a bit low. Please tell me how to adjust my settings to maximize my fps.

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti.
[[EUR]] HoloGram

Don't worry be happy

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2003, 09:37:47 am »

Snipe!!!!

The clue was to find out who has more then 60, not how has around 60. But thy for the info that u also dont braeke this magic border.

veni, vidi, vici
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2003, 08:38:28 pm »

Snipe, I dunno about the GPU upgrade paths available to the G4 iMacs, but if it's possible, you should pick up a Radeon 8500. They're around $179 new, you might be able to get one from eBay or the like, and they're quite reasonably powerful for GhR. One of my clanmates has an 8500 in his not-terribly-impressive G4 tower (I *think* it's a 733 or 800, but don't quote me on that), and he averages 40+ FPS with all detail settings on high.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
BeefyFigure
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2003, 10:20:47 pm »

Oh my God?and to think I get 15-40 FPS on my Radeon 8 MB iMac...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2003, 10:21:32 pm by beefyfigure » Logged
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2003, 12:32:08 am »

I'd suggestion the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro. I use one on my Powerbook ( 1GHZ G4 ), and rarely drop under 40FPS at Ghost Recon. ( everything on highest, of course ).

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2003, 02:29:02 am »

The 8500 is actually somewhat more powerful than the 9000. The 8500 was the high-end of the 8000 series, and the 9000 was/is the low end of the 9000 series. Due to numbering wonkyness on ATI's part, the card with the higher number isn't as powerful. ::shrug:: Regardless, the 9000 probably does the job just as well, but I *think* the 8500 is actually cheaper than the 9000, for an overall better card.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
BTs_STuRM
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2003, 07:49:49 am »

Flies,

Congrats on new hardware and your [EUR] promotion.  I noticed your new Bracket and Star right when u first changed em in GR.  Rock on brother,

BTs_STuRM Embarrassed
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads