*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 02:29:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  Is baseball doomed?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is baseball doomed?  (Read 2690 times)
Cow

The better you are the luckier you get

« on: July 27, 2002, 12:21:36 pm »

With all the chat and the loss of revenue and no salary cap baseball is out of control and with the strike comming up could this be the end for baseball?  Most likely it won't but it will take a huge hit.  I still cant understand how baseball players complain about how much they make.  They make the most money out of any sport and the probably do less work compared to other sports.  If anything they should get paid less for what they do and give the money to people who deserve it.
The no salary cap rule ruins baseball.  For teams like the NYY who can spend 150+ million a year and make it all back because whats his face owns all the TV.  So for the NYY it is an endless cycle of money making while other teams like the pitsburg have trouble even making it by.  The spectrum of competetion is way to unbalanced and a salary cap has enter baseball for it still to be fun to watch.  With all these problems is baseball doomed? Voice your opinion here.
moo
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1029654000 » Logged
Typhy
God save the Royal Whorealots

Woot

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2002, 12:31:04 pm »

Baseball 'aint doomed, when you have multi billionair owners, and the league only looses sevral million each year, then Baseball is fine, Even if we have to eliminate some of the teams who aren't making any money, the profits that teams like the Yankees ( Being NY and all ), and the Mariners ( Seattle sells TV rights to Japan for tons of money, and sells out every game ) make, Baseball will be fine. I do hope that there is no Strike.

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
*DAMN Alex
*DAMN

BUCK FUTTER!!!!

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2002, 12:31:59 pm »

Baseball has been a wreck for the last couple of years. From players getting traded to teams and then back to that team and then to another team just for a 10 million dollar signing bonus and insurance on a new Ferrari. Ever since the NBA got a salary cap it has been  very enjoyable to watch. Dont get me wrong baseball is a very fun sport to watch and play but you must think that these players aren't playing for the fans. It's all about the $$$. I don't ever think that baseball will end but I think the strike will happen. Oh god and dont even talk about Bud Selig. The fag who ended the all star game because both sides ran out of pitchers. Well then have a fricken homerun derby to decide the winner. This is the first year in 7 years that the Dodgers have been hot. If they go on strike there's going to be some mad RS chaos

I've got to ask you, about the Penis Mightier. No No thats the pen is mightier Mr. Connery
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2002, 12:40:15 pm »

I don't see why Bob Brenely and Joe Torre couldn't come out to pitch in the all star game! Wink

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
Bondo
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2002, 02:49:14 pm »

I sure hope baseball is doomed and goes away for a long long time until they can actually make it a good game again.  First off they need to make the games run at a faster pace so that it doesn't take 3+ hours for 30 min of actual action.  Second they need to use salary caps and revenue sharing so that the competition is across the board and not specific to the top third.
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2002, 04:33:08 pm »

Come on Bondo, a salery cap in baseball would be really lame, under the current system, a team has to rely on fans etc to pay for the players, in my opinion, thats how any sport should be, Baseball is one of the alltime great games, as one of the biggest anti Yankees people out there, I thought that it was one of the greatest 3 sports moments in my life when the Dbacks beat the Yankees in the 9th. Amazing game: That, the Atlanta Falcons beating Minisota on that overtime Field Goal my Mortan Anderson in the NFC Championship game, and the Patriots over the Rams in the superbowl, greatest sports moments ever, Baseball is an all time great sport, and should not be ended. I think that the first key to getting rid of the problems will be to get rid of the biggest problem: Bud Selig.

Bondo
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2002, 05:42:11 pm »

*Leaves Typhy in a gutter bleeding for saying that the Vikings' loss was one of the GREATEST moments in sports when in fact it was one of the worst*

As for having the teams that are supported by the fans get money and thus be competitive, that is why only some of the teams can survive more than a few more years.  A salary cap would be best for competition and thus best for the fans in the markets that haven't been successful.  Screw the Yankees fans who like seeing their team be one of the best every year.  You said yourself that the Patriots winning was a great moment...that wouldn't have happened without things like salary cap.
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2002, 05:45:17 pm »

I think that some sort of salevy cap would be a good idea, I do like that the fans have more of an effect on the game though, Some kind of a salery cap would be fine, It could throw my Mariners into the best team, considering the tallent that they have, they're only paying like 86million.

Bondo
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2002, 05:47:41 pm »

Plus, the Marineers are owned by Nintendo so they are automatically cool.
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2002, 05:49:55 pm »

Hey, for us up here in Juneau, Seattle is the closest city with any teams, so the Mariners, Seahawks, etc are considered the Home Teams. - Bondo, Message me on AIM or YIM, aktyphy on both

PsYcO aSsAsSiN
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

A blast from the past...

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2002, 07:07:55 pm »

lol, the Mariners are also owned by the Angels.  Wink Wink Wink

As for this issue...I hope that the Red Sox edge the Yankees out so the Yankees completely miss the playoffs. The Yankees can suck my testicles.

As for Salary caps, etc. The problem isnt capping what owners spend, the problem is getting owners to spend their fucking money. The discussion is not of a salary cap right now, but for a minimum payroll...along with that revenue sharing and a luxury tax so teams like the Yankees cant outspend their nearest competition by 50 million dollars.

As for Typhy's statement that all owners of baseball teams are super rich and losing money doesn't matter. MOST teams cannot afford to lose money or take on any additional payroll (besides the Yanks and BoSox). A great majority of teams are trying to slash payroll - that is why you see all of these deals for major leaguers getting "prospects" in return.

P.S.: The ANGELS own the Mariners.  Wink Wink Wink

Rainbow 6/Rogue Spear/Ghost Recon/Raven Shield/America's Army/XBOX 360: Mighty Bruin

-retired- (MIA 6/17/02)
Hasta la vista, baby!  Embarrassed
Co-Leader, clan PsYcO.

Clan PsYcO - 11/01/00 - 02/08/02
R.I.P. Grifter
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2002, 08:09:03 pm »

Okay, the Angles are owned by Disney, how can you say that Disney doesn't have money? Most of the teams have plenty of money, the problem is that they don't want to spend it. It's not a problem, the problem is that they won't spend it. And may I please present you the Score from a few house ago? - Mariners 3, Angles 1: Owned.

Cow

The better you are the luckier you get

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2002, 08:57:24 pm »

omg people not spending money? look at the fucking cubs! Owned by the trib they make super $$$$$$ they fill wrigley if it was 150 degrees outside and a dime of that cash goes back to the cubs.  The trib just makes them good enough so people will come back and if they added more seats would that go to making the cubs a better team? Probably not.  Baseball needs a salary cap and players that stop bitching oh and rape their wives.
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2002, 09:13:15 pm »

Well Cow, perhaps those last two things are needed, however, they will never happen

*DAMN Silent Killer
*DAMN
Forum Whore

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2002, 09:26:07 pm »

but than again who likes baseball? Cheesy

Qotes of the week!
?TF6*Kilzo!: I just watched sk own him, and typhy gave up
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2002, 09:27:56 pm »

Well, then again, who likes SilentKiller and his lame posts that have no point? Come on SK, everyone likes baseball, and if you don't, then don't post here. Just another spamming post by SK, and once there's one, people have to respond to it, like me here, 1 spamming post = more spamming posts.

Brain
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

Respect: The most important thing you'll ever earn

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2002, 11:03:17 pm »

sk, please try to keep your spam under control
and consider this a spam warning for the thread as well

"Engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance."  Dr. A. R. Dykes -1976
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2002, 11:05:43 pm »

Thank you Brain, now back to Baseball, personaly, I think that the problem is just how much players make. When there is a player out there making 30 million each year, players think that they should be making that also, if there was a limit on how much you could pay any 1 player, that could help.

SPAM has been deleted. Any more useless spam is going to result in an official warning. - assassin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads