*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:40:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip
| | |-+  Tech Talk (Moderators: *DAMN Hazard, Civrock, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | | |-+  breakfast with your macbook
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: breakfast with your macbook  (Read 2647 times)
BTs_FahQ2

shit stinks, don't touch! drink more! beer shits!

« on: July 17, 2006, 03:28:12 pm »

http://www.tuaw.com/2006/07/13/cook-breakfast-with-your-macbook/

this cannot be good for your hard drive

at least i know if I end up getting one of these i have a hot plate to travel with on business. So not entirely all bad.

"Forgiveness is between you and your God, My job is to help arrange the meeting."
www.rmgraphix.com
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 10:51:06 pm »

(Hoax notice)

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
(SiX)Sheixhundt
Forum Whore

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 11:50:39 pm »

(NOT hoax notice)

The macbook pro has been measured to reach a max TOP side temperature of 124 degrees farenheit (after a six hour run with digital thermometer).
While not enough to cook eggs to the standards of the "Egg Council Of America" (which requires 160 internal degrees) it actually WILL cook an egg to the extent that many of us have eaten them at greasy spoon restaurants and whatnot when requesting 'soft-scrambled' eggs or "over easy.

This heat (and lawyers) are the reasons manufacturers don't call them "laptops" any more - they're only referred to as "notebooks" now. The MBP user guide actually admonishes users not to use them on their laps any more at risk of Burn injury. fact.

I discovered why the buddha laughs.
The truth is so horrifying, it's funny.
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 12:34:14 am »

This heat (and lawyers) are the reasons manufacturers don't call them "laptops" any more - they're only referred to as "notebooks" now. The MBP user guide actually admonishes users not to use them on their laps any more at risk of Burn injury. fact.

I think that using them on your lap is perfectly acceptable as long as you don't do it in the nude...and maybe wearing some protective garment to protect your genitals might also be in order.[/size]  Wink

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 02:34:35 am »

Actually Sheix, we had it in our forums update news item at MacNN and was contacted by the original site poster to let us know it was a joke. The internal temperature of the G4 last generations was almost as high; the main complaints as to over heating MacBooks comes from a series of defective notebooks which has poorly applied thermal "paste". If users are very concerned about the heat, (not dangerous heat like defective units, but general warmth) they can apply a third party's paste. If their laptop is defective Applecare will help them if they would take time to talk to them instead of posting on ADC.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 02:46:42 am »

If you buy/bought a MB and are experiencing this excessive heat problem, bring it back to Apple within the refund period and have a Genius look at it.  Many times, its simply the thermal paste that needs to be place correctly, or right amount.  However, keep in mind, that due to its very slim nature (which was the point of the design), it will always run hotter than a 6 pound brick PC.  Nonetheless, I also concurr with the arguments about it being very hot, as that doesn't make me a fan of the model, although, I urge you to stop and think why it may be happening, and how to possbily best fix/treat it.

The King of Pistoleros
(SiX)Sheixhundt
Forum Whore

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 04:18:45 am »

Actually Myst, regardless of the intent of the joker, if a visual item reflects an actual fact..ie 124 degree topside temperatures  which WILL cook an egg to edible standards, albeit not the most healthy standard, the photo then falls into the domain of 'illustrative' and since the concept illustrated is true..is no longer in the domain of HOAX.

Grin

I discovered why the buddha laughs.
The truth is so horrifying, it's funny.
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 04:22:00 am »

For the record, someone just needs to write a bit of code to allow the users to turn on the fan for more cooling... that would solve a bit.

John Lennon
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 12:24:06 am »

For the record, someone just needs to write a bit of code to allow the users to turn on the fan for more cooling... that would solve a bit.

You're right it will, but then you're trade off is having an annoyingly excissive loud computer.  So regardless, you will always have a problem one way or the other.

The King of Pistoleros
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 12:51:35 am »

Well they will either want to run it on their lap or not; if they have the fan at a constant low rev setting they can achieve that. And further, a test between PCs and the MacBooks running on Core Duo chips showed the exterior temperatures only fluctuated about 2°F in favour of the PCs who had louder fans compared to the MacBook which hardly used its fan. Apple did engineer well; people just need to understand that even a old iBook his hot and that laptops aren't ever going to be cold to the touch in our perceivable future.

John Lennon
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 04:41:26 am »

I agree.

The King of Pistoleros
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads