*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:59:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  Gaming (All your Gaming needs are here!) (Moderator: *DAMN Hazard)
| | |-+  Experience with Rosetta?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Experience with Rosetta?  (Read 13897 times)
GeeThaX

« on: June 18, 2006, 07:22:14 pm »

I like to buy an intel iMac. Does someone has experience in playing GhR, Rvs (games like that) with rosetta? And I wonder whether i should buy an intel iMac or a G5 iMac.
Greetings, Gee

20" Intel iMac 2GHz Core Duo
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 07:43:17 pm »

Don't bother buying a G5 imac mate, Unless your working in a pro environment and need perhaps the Adobe package to run as fast as possible (im assuming if your looking at an imac this is not the case) then get an intel mac. There's no point buying into the old architecture just as apple shifts everything to the new processors.

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 08:43:58 pm »

Ask BTs_Hooks... only guy I know with a comparable computer running Rosetta + RvS.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
th.Sentinel

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 11:23:51 pm »

I've tried AA on my new Macbook Pro, it was unplayable. My iBook G4 gets better frame rates on all maps.
Since RvS uses an older engine, I'm afraid it will be even worse.

I ordered a copy of CoD2 which supports intel, I'll report back with some results.
And a comparison between my G5 and my MBP.

If I can find the time I'll try installing GhR on it. But I can't garantee anything.

+    + +    ++[+] +     ++[+]
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 11:45:50 pm »

holy shit heh thats not good sent... but then again with AA you can just boot camp it eh

... I was told that GhR ran without any notacable speed problems under  rossetta. The older games apparently are much more likely to run ok, the newer the game the less likely it will manage.

-DOC-

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 07:41:05 am »

I have the new 17" MBP and it is definitely speedier in GHR on Rosetta than my previous 1GHZ G4 Powerbook...
Cell

Emo? Are you kidding?

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 09:24:58 pm »

Imac Duo core 2ghz 20" with 2ghz RAM & 256 MB VRAM

As far as the adobe apps....its a bit slower but productive. I was also told by a rep at Apple, that Adobe plans on releasing CS3, and it will be Universal.   I use these on a daily basis for my job  (when I get home for side business.)  This does not compare to the dual 2.3 G5 tower I use at work. F'n monster of a machine.  Cottonmouth uses FCPHD on his MBP and says it whips.

As far as the games go.....RvS  not as good as the G5 tower, but I haven't played with it all too much.  Mainly because GRAW f'n rocks.  As far as AA goes....just like th.Sentinel said....unplayable!  I would suggest installing it on XP...I heard it runs awesome on there.  Ghr runs just fine.  Try to get a hold of the GR beta from evill if you have an intel.....weak was telling me GhR runs better on his intel with GR beta than it did on his previous comp...think he had a g4 PB.  CoD & CoD UO run just fine.

To tell you the truth, since I got the Intel Imac, I have played way more games on XP (BF2 & GRAW) than my MAC games... I wanted something new.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 09:27:08 pm by Cell » Logged

Well, I see your hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all kinds of ill shit."
GeeThaX

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 03:43:23 pm »

First of all thank you for all the replies!
But i've to make a decide tonight. I've got the choice between a
G5 iMac and an intel iMac. And before i decide i want to ask something:
Has RvS an universal patch (maybe someone knows)?

and @Cell: do you mean with: "since I got the Intel Imac, I have played way more games on XP (BF2 & GRAW) than my MAC games." that you can play Battlefield 2 on intel iMac with Windows XP?

Thx and greetings, Gee

Cell

Emo? Are you kidding?

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 04:27:13 pm »

Yes....you can play BF2 on an Intel Macs by booting into XP.The one I listed below (with the upgraded 256 Vid card) I run everything on medium settings and get consistent 75-100 fps in BF2. 

http://bf2s.com/player/70078038/

Runs and looks great.  Never lags.  You can do a google search for Battlefield 2 tweak guides and GRAW tweak guides.  THey give you helpful info for modifying some files to help the games run better.  Plus the ATI display app for windows has some nice customizations to help everything run smoother.
With the tweaks and all graphics on low I get about 20-30 fps consistent in GRAW, but it still runs smooth.  It is way more advanced than BF2 so I will accept it.  Down the line I'll prob upgrade the machine to a tower (if and when they come), and I'll be rocking.  If you go into the Ghost Recon thread you will see where I posted links to some videos I recorded of GHR3(GRAW) on my intel imac running XP.

http://thechosenones.us/smf/index.php?topic=54.0

The night I picked up my Imac I started setting it up.  Figure a few hours to dl and install bootcamp, upgrade your firmware, burn your drivers for windows, install windows xp and then install your games.  It i well worth it.  Now when I boot my machine, I hold down the option key to see the list of startup disks...and choose XP when I want to use it. Otherwise I just would start up normally without the opton key, if I want Mac OS.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 04:31:22 pm by Cell » Logged

Well, I see your hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all kinds of ill shit."
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 04:27:53 pm »

"...can play Battlefield 2 on intel iMac with Windows XP?" Yes.

"Has RvS an universal patch?" No. It doesn't need one. At full setting Hooks said 2.16GHz MacBook Pro got 40FPS – plenty good enough to justify getting a computer that will move forward, not die in a few years when PPC support ends.

Choose Intel iMac.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 07:09:56 pm »

God damn i want my new Promac so i can come play BF2 Sad

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 07:19:28 pm »

God damn i want my new Promac so i can come play BF2 Sad

Mac Pro*

...and me tooooooooo!

John Lennon
Cell

Emo? Are you kidding?

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 07:21:19 pm »

PLease can some of you guys  get on board??!!  I'm lonely.

GeeThaX

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 01:15:08 pm »

Yea ive made my decide - in the next days ill have an intel iMac clapping hands
But ive got still a question  Roll Eyes (to Star Wars Battlefront):
Is a universal patch available or runs it fine with rosetta?

Greetings, Gee

WeedWacker

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 02:29:41 am »

PLease can some of you guys  get on board??!!  I'm lonely.

Just wait until the Mac Pro Towers come out...I will buy whatever Apple releases on day one...*drool* 

WeedWacker's guarantee:  "if I don't kill you within 3 shots, the next one's free."
PUNiSHER™

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 08:50:11 pm »

I got my MacBook Pro today and Ghost Recon 1 played smooth but I did notice the graphics are a little blocky/pixelated, I don't know if any other Intel Mac user has experienced this or if there is some setting to change it.
I guess Ghr 1 finally shows its age on these machines.

EDIT: I've noticed alot of my older games are forced into widescreen mode stretching the images.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 10:29:50 pm by PUNiSHER™ » Logged

PUNiSHER™

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 10:28:53 pm »

Played Battlefield 1942 OSX version, high graphics setting got horrible frame rates and was unplayable, low graphics setting was better and ok to play.  Also the graphics are blocky just like Ghr 1.

Age of Mythology ran perfect, noticed no drop in gameplay at all and the game wasn't forced into widescreen mode.

MacBook Pro 2.16ghz
1GB Ram
Radeon X1600 256 MB VRAM
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 10:44:15 pm by PUNiSHER™ » Logged

WeedWacker

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2006, 07:24:05 pm »

I wonder if the screen resolution was set to something other than the MBP LCD native resolution

WeedWacker's guarantee:  "if I don't kill you within 3 shots, the next one's free."
{E} Ive

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 01:28:40 am »

Love my 2.16 MBP coming from a 1.25 emac ghr is beatiful an runs great my kills our up. Photoshop CS2 is deffnitly usable looking forward to cs3 also cod2 runs like a champ with settings all way up:)
WeedWacker

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2006, 02:02:49 am »

Love my 2.16 MBP coming from a 1.25 emac ghr is beatiful an runs great my kills our up. Photoshop CS2 is deffnitly usable looking forward to cs3 also cod2 runs like a champ with settings all way up:)

Your kills are up?  I need to upgrade from 400MHz G4 tower now.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads