*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:46:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "Boot Camp" The Future of the DBL?  (Read 3159 times)
PUNiSHER™

« on: April 07, 2006, 09:13:17 am »

With the release of "Boot Camp" does this most likely mean the near end of gaming on GameRanger?  I don't see the need to use it anymore unless you can't afford a new Intel Mac or want to play a really old Mac Game.  By this time next year maybe alot more people will be switched to Intel Macs, has the *DBL considered switching its Battle League Games to the newer PC Games?  I think alot of Intel Mac users will now be able to play Ghr 3, I'm not a PC user so I don't know what the GameRanger of the PC world is but I'm sure this League could make some sort of switch by this time next year.  It could keep the clans and friendship gaming we have going on Gameranger and possibly open up a whole new group of players from the PC world.  I think I'm now one of the people that has jumped on the "Ghost Recon is dead" bandwagon, I honestly believe now this Battle League is going to be dead next year unless some sort of change is made, if not, the clans, friendships and flaming forums we all love will be history!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 09:16:12 am by PUNiSHER™ » Logged

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 09:41:03 am »

Good questions Punisher, i wish i could answer them all! Right now i think its safe to say its business as usual - 90% or more of us don't have Intel macs, and won't have for a while longer. And as allways if major changes take place then *DAMN will probably need to adjust. This is probably stuff for Mauti to discuss however, and its all a bit difficult this early in the game with the windows booting macs etc etc...

Its going to be interesting though - i don't know now if the mac gaming community will disintegrate and become enveloped by the PC gaming communities, or whether we will grow and strengthen will a broader range of games etc.

and do you define a mac gamer by his/her OS or Hardware!? Smiley

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 09:47:00 am »

Of course we are going with the time and changes that we are facing. The *DBL will always remain a ladder for Mac Gamers, no matter what Operating system will be used, we gonna adjust our policy to the requirement. We don't know how the situation gonna look like in a year, but we will be there and no matter if you are playing some Mac games in GameRanger or Battlefield 2 in the server browser via XP the *DBL gonna serve the community with an environment you can compete in or as you say mess around in some forum wars.

For 2006 the *DBL 2.0 should be finished, and with the release we plan to open up our ladders also for other games than tactical egoshooters, beside tons of changes.

So whatever the future holds for us, we will be there!

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
WeedWacker

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 05:21:27 pm »

I think most of us use Macs because they're classier, easier, better, and more reliable.  I for one will not be rebooting into XP just to play a game.  I think there will still be a need for Mac games, that is, unless they make it possible to run XP in a window without rebooting.  Then again, how many gamers will be paying $200 for XP to play games?

WeedWacker's guarantee:  "if I don't kill you within 3 shots, the next one's free."
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 05:43:45 pm »

True for games that are and will be available for Mac OS, but according to my post here the quality and extra features of the Mac conversions have to be better than ever before. So the porting houses are asked to provide this quality.

Beside that some games will never make it to the Mac and then you may want to reboot. Further for students Microsoft is selling complete XP Professional SP2 DVDs for 5 dollars at our university store, which makes it hard not to try it out at least once.

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
rageasaurus rex

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 12:01:35 am »

Quote from: BFG
I would have to say the OS. I am currently running MacOSX 1.4.2 and Windows XP Home edition on my homebuilt PC. (yes, OSX on a PC)
PandabeaR

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 06:13:05 pm »

Good point! When I play on the PC I still consider myself a "Mac Gamer" simply because I was trained in the best training scenario ever - GameRanger.

So what I think will happen is GR will become sparsely used within... say, 3 years. There is TWL or Team Warefare League on the PC, which is HUGE, they offer prizes, sponsership, clan servers etc.. My dad was testing F.E.A.R. with bootcamp at his store and they said that it runs just as well if not faster on the Mac. So I dont forsee performance loss, but I do forsee alot of the clans in the DBL switching to the TWL or doing both of them. Beleive me though, a new community of mac gamers who are already close and play with eachother would DOMINATE the TWL, believe me. So, I look forward to hopefully seeing a dr. server or a (SiX) server out there sometime Smiley I would embrace mac-gaming on bootcamp if I had a macintel... which may happen within a few years. I think it means perhaps a downfall in the DBL and GR, but an uprising for the individual Mac Gamer. Thats what is important, right?
Croosch
God bless the freaks

Absolute Lunacy

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 09:20:11 pm »

I think this a good move for Apple... but I highly doubt that I'll ever be using bootcamp, the number one reason I use mac is for the operating system.

Unit iX • America's Army • [iX^]tox!c^1
• *nRg • Ghost Recon • *cO.krush •
WeedWacker

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 05:36:22 am »

With the release of "Boot Camp" does this most likely mean the near end of gaming on GameRanger?  ... I think I'm now one of the people that has jumped on the "Ghost Recon is dead" bandwagon, I honestly believe now this Battle League is going to be dead next year unless some sort of change is made, if not, the clans, friendships and flaming forums we all love will be history!

I think the real reason gaming on GameRanger is dead is because GR hasn't been running worth a crap since the last "upgrade."  Word on the street is Evill has improved his internal GR but, until it's running perfect, it won't be released to the masses.  I think any improvements, no matter how minor, would be appreciated.  I think GR's issues have sped the demise of the GR gaming community.

I will be getting my Intel Mac tower once released and can't wait to play GRAW in XP or Mac, but I will miss all the Mac gamers, even Punisher, because we're such a small tight-knit group.  For that reason, I really hope Evill fixes GR so we can gut, rape, and burn each other's shot-up carcasses on the Mac... (almost brings a tear to my eyes).  Oh yeah, DI{E} Jeepster!

WeedWacker's guarantee:  "if I don't kill you within 3 shots, the next one's free."
[a] ferret

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 06:23:48 am »

even RvS is seeing a diminish in interest... i dont think it has anything to do with GR. think about the last game that came out for mac that could be utilized on gameranger.

Doom3
Quake4
CoD2

what do they all have in common?              built in game server browsing.

Kapiti

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 08:19:02 am »

This was on the apple website.
Warning: Boot Camp Beta is preview software licensed for use on a trial basis for a limited time. Do not use Boot Camp Beta in a commercial operating environment or with important data. You should back up all of your data before installing this software and regularly back up data while using the software. Your rights to use Boot Camp Beta are subject to acceptance of the terms of the software license agreement that accompanies the software.

Important: Apple does not provide technical phone support for using Boot Camp Beta, burning the Macintosh Drivers CD, or installing Windows XP. Support is available on Apple's website. Fee-based support agreements are not available for Boot Camp Beta.

So another words, Boot Camp will not last forever and also, don't you need to buy the windows installation disk first??

BTs_Mysterio

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 05:07:54 pm »

Well yea... you do need to buy what you use. Bootcamp will be part of Leopard when out of beta.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads