*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 12:55:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  Gaming (All your Gaming needs are here!) (Moderator: *DAMN Hazard)
| | |-+  Gaming Headphones
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gaming Headphones  (Read 2596 times)
Flyman
« on: September 09, 2005, 12:51:25 am »

Can any one help? I'm looking at buying either the Sennheiser PC160's or PC165's (the 165's having the USB connector with built in sound card).
I've been told by Sennheiser that I should consider the 165's if the sound card on my PowerMac G4 doesn't offer the best quality.
Any advise as to which I should choose would be welcome.
Civrock
*DAMN Supporter ][ *DAMN Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 04:29:52 am »

On a Mac you should definitely go with a digital USB headset, analog ones require additional hardware to get them to work which is not really cheap. Go either with the Sennheiser PC165 or I can also recommend the Plantronics DSP-500 (have it, works great and has excellent quality).

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 04:56:27 am »

I'm going to disagree with civic.

The iMic + Headset is cheaper than the DSP 500 [see]:

iMic: $39.99
[http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/]
Plantronics Audio.90 [I think its better than DSP 500 anyway]: $34.95
[http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/cat640035/cat1430032/prod440020]

TOTAL: $74.98

vs.

DSP 500 : $89.95

The Audio quality favours the Audio.90, and its cheaper to replaces the components. With the USB its all or nothing, and plantronics usually doesn't want to do much but send you a freshly refurbished POS. When you get the iMic you are open to any top end gaming headset or any audio device. It is a wise investment, that a USB headset just cant compete with.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
Civrock

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 05:53:07 am »

That's plain BS... the iMic digitalizes the audio signal from analog headsets which pretty much leads to similar or rather worse quality. Also, the prices you posted are wrong. I got my Plantronics DSP-500 new for about $55, months ago, at NewEgg.com. Don't be stupid and buy it for the manufacturer's price.

The Plantronics Audio.90 is the same as the DSP-500, just without USB and it's analog, not digital. Its price is around $25 + the $40 iMic you'd need.

So, as far as price and quality go... the DSP-500 beats the Audio.90 in both factors, although not by much. I'm speaking from own experience with both headsets.

Anyway, he wants to get a Sennheiser headset, therefore he wants to get the digital USB PC165.

ghost.fr

http://monks.4yu.fr

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 11:05:13 am »

Plantronics is my vote too, also if sound is not giving all the bass, but anouth to use in games
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 11:55:46 am »

Ive got nothing but good things to say about the Platronics DSP 500 - i'd highly recommend them.

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
NiKLoT

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 04:38:08 pm »

ive bought a sound card and Speed link Medusa headset it works great! not cheap true but u can chose settings for the headset and anything its worth the money. My bro has the Speed link Medusa with USB its cool too but the mic is not lound enough even if u set it up on max.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 05:11:13 pm »

Woah hang on... these things are only £36? and they are happy mac compatible? well that sounds like a damn bargain! (i use a M-Audio 410 box for work so i could plug it into that i presume)

Actually while we're on this topic i'm in desperate need of getting some decent speakers for the mac... Only thing is id like a rig that i can play music from the ipod through without having to have the computer on all the time (i've got the noisiest mac ever!) - but at the same time have something that i can plug into the mac (via the M-Audio box if necessary) for working (and playing) ... um any suggestions?

A friend suggested the Studiophile LX4 2.1 system from M-Audio... but although i could use that fine for the comp i don't see a straightforward way of connecting the ipod directly to it?

any advice would be much appreciated!

Civrock

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 07:53:23 pm »

Any (non-digital) Logitech 5.1 soundsystem can be connected to your iPod easily (and of course to your Mac, since you have a soundcard you'll also be able to fully use the 5.1 sound) and has great sound quality. I have the Logitech Z-5300e.

cO.twist

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 10:56:43 pm »

http://www.alteclansing.com/product_details.asp?pID=AHS502i

This headset + the imic is amazing...ive gone through 2 of these headsets (ran over hte damn cord w/ the comp chair), and i'd get this one again if i had to...Superb sound.

Over half of cO has this headset i believe.
Dave
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005, 03:26:19 pm »

Not sure where to go now! All I want a pair of cans for is serious gaming on my Mac. I've narrowed my choice down to the following but I'm finding it really difficult to choose between the Sennheiser PC165's, M145's (Mac version of the PC145) and the Plantronics DSP-500 PC Headset.

Does anyone know of any conflicts with the Mac OS on the PC designed head sets with the USB connection, Also, will they be ok to use with VOIP?

All advice welcome...

A frustrated Gamer!!!  Huh
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2005, 03:37:35 pm »

Dave, they should all be absolutely fine for VOIP - u can use just about any mic imaginable for it, and these headsets will give you great quality so no worries there.

Civic how old is your Z-5300e ? On the UK site they don't list it anymore and it appears to have been replaced with the  Z-5500 Digital  which looks awesome  (i could connect it to the M-Audio box with the Coaxial, and has mini jack for the ipod), packs 505 watts, and has a sexy little wireless remote... it costs a painful £279.99 (thats $515) which i don't think i can forgive myself for spending!!

Civrock

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2005, 07:00:55 pm »

It's not old at all, the Z-5300e simply appears to be US-only for some reason, heh. Tongue

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2005, 07:11:20 pm »

Bloody German Wink Going over there getting all those "US" only deals! damn u im going to have to get that grand daddy 500watt beast

... if i win the lottery

DarK.
God bless the freaks

Forum's Evil Side

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 01:46:32 am »

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=103,CONTENTID=10013 

This is what i have, I bought it at Best Buy for 40 bucks, so you should be able to get a better deal out there, (It was on sale though)  anyway,  These are very nice and work well, with a great "mute" button, and in-line voice control, ambient noise nullifiers for the mic, and the headphones.
[/b]

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics... Even if you win, you are still retarded.
z][t-Primary

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2005, 03:17:23 pm »

Internal mic and some Hi-Fi headphones baby. The output is amazing, i got my mac connected to my Dual sound system and i use my huge 8-year old headphones. The internal mic seems to be working alright, atleast i dont get complaints.
:MoD:Shade
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2005, 07:08:38 pm »

Did I not post here? - I could have sworn I said something...

Better not have got deleted...

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2005, 07:33:55 pm »

Nope fraid not shade - i've checked, no post.

Civrock

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2005, 08:05:43 pm »

You posted in Flyman's thread on the IMG forums, Shade. Wink

:MoD:Shade
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!