*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 09:16:14 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip
| | |-+  Tech Talk (Moderators: *DAMN Hazard, Civrock, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | | |-+  Computer Upgrade Possibilities...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Computer Upgrade Possibilities...  (Read 1826 times)
BTs_GhostSniper
God save the Royal Whorealots

SUA SPONTE

« on: August 02, 2005, 06:05:47 pm »

Well, I've had my current G5 since November 2003 and I am trying to decide what to do next.  This is by far the longest I've ever kept the same mac as my primary computer.  My normal tendency is to buy a new one every 6 months.  I really want to buy a new G5 now, but with the change of Apple to Intel processors in the near future, I just can't see doing it.  I can try to upgrade my current computer some more, just to get by until then.

So, here's what I have:

Original Single-1.8GHz G5 (the one with the faster bus speed, 8 RAM Slots, and PCI-X), 2.5GB RAM, Two-250GB Internal Hard Drives, One-400GB External Hard Drive, ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB Graphics Card.

At this point, I have plenty of RAM and I'm okay with the hard drive capacities, for now.  I'm thinking that I could upgrade the video card to one of the faster ATi X800XT cards.  I really wish someone would make a processor upgrade for the G5, but as yet nobody has.

So, I can either make this one work for a while longer, or fork out for a new Dual-2.7GHz G5.  I have the money to burn, but I've never been one just to blow money.  And if the switch to Intel processors means that the G5 will end up running on emulated software at some point, I would rather just wait and get an Apple with an Intel Processor.

Hmmmm....what do you guys think?

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 06:40:42 pm »

With that much said, the current 2.7GHz powermac, is really a major no-go.

Future Products:
• PowerMac G5 MP:
-- Dual Core design.
-- Possibility of 3.0 GHz, Probably not going to reach it as no [decent] Dual-Core has yet.
Timeframe: Sept '05 (Paris) -  March '06 (IBM time of year) [if introduced]

•?Huh?Mac Huh [PowerMac replacement]
-- x86 Dual-boot [Triple+ including Linux flavors]
-- Dual core is easily predictable.
-- PCIe is a given with the appearance in DevMacs.
-- SLI is possible and likely if Apple wants to maintain top end professional image.
-- DDRII Memory
-- Better motherboard by design
-- Smaller Case
-•- You [personally] could use it in your ford office with the PCI expansion/windows for your Ford stuff. [I don't think your a windows fan]
-----> Also VPC 8 [or 9] will allow 2 OSes to run at the same time without emulation (x86).
-- Basically Ultimate in Gaming/Pro Apps/Bragging Rights.
Timeframe: WWDC '06[Myst Prediction] - WWDC '07

So you have the option of buying a legacy computer now that will become a shadow in comparison to the future Intel products. Then again you could just wait with me and my Rev A G5, then buy the Mactel when they come out.

Also noteworthy:

Huh?Book Huh? [PowerBook Replacement]
-Yonah Dualcore Intel processor
-~2-2.5 GHz
-Apple Designs the best Motherboards, possible performance is huge [http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050525/pentium4-10.html -Dothan Single core predecessor to Yonah]
-Dual Booting
-DDRII
-Amazing notebook, hopefully more expandability/screen improvements
Timeframe: Jan '06 [MWSF] - June '06 [WWDC]

Don't overlook portables, they have a nasty habit of surprising us [Unlike recent G4s, hopefully a pleasant surprise].

My final recommendation is to go wait for the intel and Pimp-your-current-G5 for all it's worth as a legacy computer.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 11:37:39 pm »

Well, I've decided to wait for the Intel-based Macs to arrive, so for the time being I'm upgrading my G5.  I have an ATi Radeon X800XT on the way.  Does anybody have one of these cards?

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

c| Spetsnaz.
*DAMN Supporter

American Anarchist.

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 11:43:50 pm »

um what are you doin with your old card?

"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
 ~Voltaire

"Politics is the womb in which war develops."
~Carl P. G. von Clausewitz
cO.twist

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 11:46:50 pm »

ghost i have an x800xt...i have a single 1.8 g5 with a gig of ram.(the same one as you).  Its amazing.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 11:50:12 pm by cO.twist » Logged
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 11:51:41 pm »

um what are you doin with your old card?

I already have my ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB sold for $250...which, considering you can get one brand new for that now, is a pretty good deal.  Wink

ghost i have an x800xt...i have a single 1.8 g5 with a gig of ram.  Its amazing.

Ah, so now I'll be on a level playing field against you in FFA's!

BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 05:13:00 am »

Okay, new question...

Does anybody know if I can get the new 16x SuperDrive double-layer for my older G5?  Like, could I get the new one and just switch it out with my old one?  And if so, where could I get a new one?
[/size]

Update:

It seems I can do this.  I just ordered the Pioneer DVR-109 16x Dual-Layer SuperDrive and they say it will fit right in the optical drive slot of my G5.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 07:43:48 pm by BTs_GhostSniper » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads