*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:09:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip
| | |-+  Tech Talk (Moderators: *DAMN Hazard, Civrock, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | | |-+  OS switching help
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: OS switching help  (Read 2973 times)
bronto
« on: July 04, 2005, 03:53:48 pm »

This might not be the best place, but whatever maybe someone here knows, I already tried google.

I have windowsME on one hard drive, and windows XP on the other. right now XP is the default, but I want to boot up in ME. how can I switch from one to the other and back again whenever i want to?
BTs_GhostSniper
God save the Royal Whorealots

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 03:56:08 pm »

This might not be the best place, but whatever maybe someone here knows, I already tried google.

I have windowsME on one hard drive, and windows XP on the other. right now XP is the default, but I want to boot up in ME. how can I switch from one to the other and back again whenever i want to?

Um, I think I speak for just about everyone in the community when I say:

We are not here to help you with your fucking Windows problems!

Peace.

-GhostSniper Out.
[/size]

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
bronto
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 06:36:32 pm »

GS, the question was directed to anyone who doesn't have a rod up their ass, sorry for not being specific.

Seriously though, there's quite a few people that use PC on this forum, who's to say I can't ask a pc question?
gsr

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 08:33:45 pm »

It's been a while since I had to deal with windows but I seem to remember that during boot, you can choose the start up disk by holding down some keys (cntl/c ?).  As I recall, the process is similar to starting in Safe Mode and allows you to choose the appropriate disk.  You might want to check your help regarding start up options.
bronto
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 11:05:54 pm »

Thanks, but I think you're referring to the Disc boot order in BIOS, which i tried already. if not, i'll try ctrl and c anyway.
*DAMN Hazard
God bless the freaks

Where is the knowledge we lost with information?

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 11:28:47 pm »

Peace.

-GhostSniper Out.
[/size]

Um... i think I speak for just about everyone in the community when I say shut the fuck up I would never let you speak for me unless someone happened to ask me "Hey Hazard what would you say if you were an ignorant asshole?" Then in that extreme case I would let you talk for me.

Anyway I saw a friend do it by holding down some keys or some crap if you cant figure it out just call microsoft or email them.

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."
~ Einstein
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 12:54:30 am »

Peace.

-GhostSniper Out.
[/size]

Um... i think I speak for just about everyone in the community when I say shut the fuck up I would never let you speak for me unless someone happened to ask me "Hey Hazard what would you say if you were an ignorant asshole?" Then in that extreme case I would let you talk for me.

Anyway I saw a friend do it by holding down some keys or some crap if you cant figure it out just call microsoft or email them.

Actually, I know exactly how to do it, as I am FORCED to use a Windows PC at work.  But I'm not gonna tell you here, sorry.  It would just be too....distasteful for me to give you Windows help on this site.  Goes against everything I believe in.  Sorry.

-GhostSniper Out.
[/size]

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

th.Sentinel

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2005, 10:41:22 am »

I wonder why ppl never Google it first before asking on a forum. Its so much easier and faster to find an answer...

Hope this one can help you:
http://www.winxpfix.com/page5.htm

Or this:
http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/96/
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 10:46:45 am by Toxic::Sentinel » Logged

+    + +    ++[+] +     ++[+]
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 03:23:01 pm »

Sentinel is such a good guy.  Too bad I'm not.  Grin

bronto
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2005, 03:29:46 pm »

the OS switching only allows shows windows XP in the choices, i already tried it. i also tried doing it from computer management, same thing. and when i switched the boot order of the discs i got a Missing bla bla error, restart.

ghostsniper stop posting if you're not helping, thanks.
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2005, 03:33:08 pm »

ghostsniper stop posting if you're not helping, thanks.

Actually, I AM helping, you are just not seeing it.  The whole point was this:

GO POST YOUR PROBLEM ON A WINDOWS FORUM.

You are much more likely to get the help you are looking for there.

*DAMN Hazard
God bless the freaks

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2005, 10:23:13 pm »

Bronto is clearly a Mac advocate having used one for years who just needs some help with his current computer. Show some fucking class. People like you give us all a bad name. Either provide him with some useful info about how to do this or keep your ignorant opinion of Windows and their users to yourself.

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."
~ Einstein
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005, 10:29:09 pm »

Bronto is clearly a Mac advocate having used one for years who just needs some help with his current computer. Show some fucking class. People like you give us all a bad name. Either provide him with some useful info about how to do this or keep your ignorant opinion of Windows and their users to yourself.

Ignorant?  I'm writing this to you from my computer at work, which happens to be a Dell Dimension 4600 with a 3.0GHz Pentium 4 Processor running Windows XP (Service Pack 2).  It isn't ignorance of Windows and Windows users that made me say what I said.  It's the fact that he asked a technical question about Windows on a forum devoted to people who use a Macintosh.

Now, if you want to know just how ignorant I am, go post a technical question about OS X on a Windows forum and see how fast you get laughed out of there, if they don't delete all your posts and deactivate your account at the same time.

I was, in fact, trying to be helpful when I said he should post his problem on a Windows forum, as that is both the appropriate place for it, as well as being the place where he might actually get help from.

Sure, I was an ass in the way I said it, so sue me.

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2005, 10:30:14 pm »

OK it got a bit mixed up in the jokey "mac v pc" thing "and the this is a mac forum damn it skiddadle you smelly pc user" talk, but Ghostsniper had a point, Bront's your much more likely to find the solution to your problems if you go to one of the billions of windows tech sites that must deal with this stuff all the time, if it was a mac we'd have all stuck our hands up and answered, but this aint exactly all our area of knowledge.

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
*DAMN Hazard
God bless the freaks

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2005, 10:41:44 pm »

I'm not trying to start a flamewar here but GS, Bronto is a part of this community with a problem regardless and you should at least treat him with some respect. Who cares if windows users would laugh at you? Who says we have to be like them? Don't be a jerk just let him know how and simply say next time it would be better to look on a windows user forum.

~ Einstein
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2005, 11:20:00 pm »

Okay, I'm going to take Hazard's advice on this one and help you out Bronto...As much as I despise giving Windows Tech Support on a Macintosh site.

The long and short of it is you need to get a boot manager.  There is no easy way to do what you want to do without one.  Your best option for a boot manager for the money is going to be this one:

http://www.osloader.com/

It is fairly cheap, with a $24.90 registration fee.  You can download a copy directly from that site.

By the way, before I sold cars and while the U.S. Military was paying me to go to college (while I was in the Air Force), I used to work for a computer company where I did both Macintosh and PC sales, on-site upgrades and repairs, and Tech Support.  This is during the time that I forever decided that PC's were the worst computers ever made, with the worst operating systems ever devised.  I was already a Mac-user at that time (have been ever since 1984), but this just reaffirmed how much better Macs are over PC's.

Peace.

-GhostSniper Out.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 11:23:51 pm by BTs_GhostSniper » Logged

bronto
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2005, 03:07:31 am »

Thank you all. That wasn't so hard was it GS?  Cheesy
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2005, 04:10:18 am »

Thank you all. That wasn't so hard was it GS?  Cheesy

You have no idea...[/size]  wallbashing

.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

.:N|General Billy likes his salad tossed!

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2005, 06:34:42 am »

No fucking shit eh? what the hell was so hard about telling him that?

Sorry Bronto, if I saw the post earlier we could have avoided all this GS, cough, I mean BS.  Grin

voo

.:Voodoo:.
Adult Gamers Alliance
*DAMN Battle League Administrator 2002 - 2004 Retired
Brothers of Chaos - Winners of *DBL Raven Shield Season 8 with 14-0 Record
crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2005, 11:18:58 am »

Made for a good laugh for everyone else including me. Smiley

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Unfortunately, most of them go hand in hand.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads