*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 10:29:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip
| | |-+  Tech Talk (Moderators: *DAMN Hazard, Civrock, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | | |-+  Did anyone get their Tiger early?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Did anyone get their Tiger early?  (Read 10371 times)
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2005, 03:50:00 am »

Some are free, others are not. Depends on the widget. Package tracker is free, however Encyclopedia Britannica isn't.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2005, 08:41:32 pm »

can't wait for more widgets to turn up! But more sexy (i think) is the RSS Screensaver that ships with Tiger - you have got to see it to believe it! It is a stunning Screensaver that is Rendering the lastest Apple news pulled in from a RSS feed - and displaying it in a Helix style something or other - i can't wait to see what other people can do with this - hell its RSS - you can probably look at blog entries like this! - i dug up this movie

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2005, 10:24:22 pm »

Found a nice summery of Tiger for you "should i upgrade" people:

"Tiger is the best version of Mac OS X yet. It offers substantial improvements over Panther in all important areas. The performance improvements are immediately noticeable. Every major bundled application has been improved. There's an unprecedented number of substantial, totally new features and technologies: Spotlight, Core Image and Video, Quartz 2D Extreme, Dashboard, and Automator, just to name a few.

This is all on top of the most significant revision to the core operating system in the history of Mac OS X. Fine-grained locking in the kernel prepares Tiger for future Macs with multi-core CPUs. A stable, abstracted, forward-compatible system for kernel extensions frees Apple to make more kernel changes in the future without worrying about breaking existing kernel extensions. And as usual, nearly every bundled Unix program has been updated.

For the first time in the history of Mac OS X, Apple has made progress in the realm of file metadata. While Spotlight plays it safe with external index files tracking information gleaned from existing file system metadata and file contents, Tiger's extended attribute APIs lay the groundwork for a much more interesting future. Uniform Type Identifiers add another missing piece to the metadata puzzle. If Apple can fully realize the potential of these budding, and still disparate systems, Mac OS X may finally catch and surpass the previous file metadata technology leader: the venerable BeOS. My fingers are crossed.

If you're still running Jaguar or earlier, you really owe it to yourself to upgrade to Tiger. It'll be the best $129 you've ever spent on an operating system. If you're happy with Panther, I strongly recommend going to an Apple store and checking out Tiger in person. Chances are good that there'll be at least one or two features that you'll decide you need, if not right way, then soon. As with any new release, it won't hurt to wait for version 10.4.1 or later.

Overall, Tiger is impressive. If this is what Apple can do with 18 months of development time instead of 12, I tremble to think what they could do with a full two years—let alone the length of time it took for Mac OS X 10.0 to first ship. The productivity of Apple's Mac OS X development team has increased tremendously since 10.0; they're now firing on all cylinders. While I dearly wish someone would steer them in the direction of the eternally neglected Finder, I can't help but be proud of the little OS team that could.

Mac OS X started its life as the most ambitious consumer operating system ever produced. Apple abandoned its existing, 16-year-old code base for something entirely new. Out of the gate, Mac OS X was a technical curiosity with few applications, and a performance dog. A scant four years later, Tiger is a powerhouse that combines the best Unix has to offer with a feature-rich, user-friendly interface. The increasingly capable bundled applications are just icing on the cake. We've come a long way, baby."

Cobra

Slap ma fro!

« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2005, 04:59:43 am »

Is that from John Siracusa's Tiger review?

If you don't like the way I drive, get off the damn sidewalk!
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2005, 10:57:08 am »

Yeah thats the one - i first fell on it from looking at the core image stuff - but the whole review is massive! over 15 pages of goodness Smiley

Cobra

Slap ma fro!

« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2005, 07:17:46 pm »

Ah.  I knew I'd read that before, just wasn't sure where  Wink  Yeah, I enjoyed his review — it was well-written, informed, and even-handed.  Didn't get through it all in one sitting, though (it's OMG XOBX HUEG!!1!).

If you don't like the way I drive, get off the damn sidewalk!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads