*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 09:26:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip
| | |-+  Tech Talk (Moderators: *DAMN Hazard, Civrock, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | | |-+  Did anyone get their Tiger early?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Did anyone get their Tiger early?  (Read 10375 times)
(SiX)Sheixhundt
Forum Whore

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2005, 11:39:32 pm »

Hey Guys,

Thanks a lot for your info.

(you need to get checks from apple imo)

I may just get this thing after all.
I have read tons of reprts to day, and I'll say that the positive to negative ratio is about 5 to one.
And for the problems that many are having....most if not all are addressed in the 'atlanta' build 10.4.1 due next month.  They accepted some known and identified bugs to meet the ship deadline..whcih iguess i can go along with.

If you have quicktime pro, and you need it, get ready to buy it again with QT 7 tho..which is normal...a pain, and fucked, but normal..and I also found similar cases to Civics where config played a part..

Keep the info coming, and for Civic...

Did configuring widgets require applescript  or unix knowledge or is it fairly straightforward?

Thanks again.

guys..its fuckin friday...commence the boozin'.

I discovered why the buddha laughs.
The truth is so horrifying, it's funny.
Civrock
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2005, 12:06:43 am »

I have read tons of reprts to day, and I'll say that the positive to negative ratio is about 5 to one.
And for the problems that many are having....most if not all are addressed in the 'atlanta' build 10.4.1 due next month.  They accepted some known and identified bugs to meet the ship deadline..whcih iguess i can go along with.

exactly. much more positive stuff than negative and this mainly because of the ship deadline which will be then fixed with 10.4.1. Smiley

If you have quicktime pro, and you need it, get ready to buy it again with QT 7 tho..which is normal...a pain, and fucked, but normal..and I also found similar cases to Civics where config played a part..

my QT problems seem to be gone now for some reason, at least in the last 5 or so movies i watched in Safari, no freeze. i only turned off the auto-start movie option in the QT prefs... maybe that was the cause, dunno.

Did configuring widgets require applescript  or unix knowledge or is it fairly straightforward?

it's pretty straightforward but it also depends on what you're trying to make, what you want to show in your widget or want it to do. have a look at this site: http://developer.apple.com/macosx/dashboard.html, helps a lot in understanding how they work and how you can develop one yourself. Smiley[/color]

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2005, 04:24:33 am »

Id go for it Shiex - but wait till your key apps for work are known to be happy running with 10.4 - im holding back til i know for certain that everything from AfterEffects to MM Director,  i want to be certian everything i need will run!

ps.. would have loved to have got pissed..it is however 3:30am and i just got home from work...

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2005, 05:08:44 am »

A shame BFG (if Macromedia Apps don't work under tiger). I can't quite imagine how Adobe plans to maintain macromedia as a company whilst continuing to develop their own Creative Suite. If there are Macromedia Problems under tiger, let's just hope Adobe has completely put their production of updates and patches on hold.

P.S. I just watched Fahrenheit 9/11 again. (if BFG can side note so can myst!... well maybe i don't have 4000 posts...)

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2005, 02:28:01 pm »

hehe i think you can get away with a little sidenote myst Wink

Yeah i must confess im rather scared about what will happen with Adobe and Macromedia - and wether Adobe is really just buying macromedia and letting it get on with its busines or wether adobe is going to start sticking its fingers in the pie and screwing around... it will be interesting to see.

Im starting to love one of the biggest new features of Tiger - and probably the most under-publised of them.. its the amazing intergration between apps - from finder, mail or iphoto (not to mention what you can do with autamator - which is awsome) they have finally done what should have been done in Panther - really embed the applications and system together into a seamless process where the movment of anything anywhere is... well seamless Smiley

(fahrenheit 9/11 ... i got so angry about that film - both at the way Moore delbt with it, and in doing so distracted from the real issues - first few minutes of the film imo were the very best)

c| Spetsnaz.
*DAMN Supporter

American Anarchist.

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2005, 06:33:09 pm »

Frankly, thus far I'm a little let down. For the $137.00 (including tax) bones I had to scam to buy this OS, I was expecting something more than an app like Dashboard or Spotlight, when my Konfabulator app pretty much did the same damn thing, and I had no qualms with the original search feature (Although the water ripples when you start up a widget on Dashboard is pretty fucking cool, but hardly worth $129.00).

I guess there are some performance boosts, but hardly anything revolutionary. And Safari RSS, well it has a RSS reader built in and thats the extent of it.

My overall point is that Apple once again has successfully created an OS that fixed a bunch of shit that wasn't broken, hyped it up has the most advanced OS in existence, then marketed it for $129.00 retail. Apple's capitalist greed has run amok, and their sure as shit turning profit from a minimal effort.

Also another qualm I have with Apple is their privacy policy. If you read the fine print it says they don't give your info to other companies, unless there is a strategic interest that Apple and another company share. So basically, they do give your info to other companies. Then you read a little more and find that they also will give your private information to the government for law enforcement and or homeland security purposes. Ok whatever, I thought, and attempted to bypass the registration form by not filling out my name and personal info, but of course this is mandatory, so you get dicked any way you look at it. Maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but it's the principle of the fucking matter, i don't want some greedy capitalist fucks whoring my info out, more than they already do, and especially to the god forsaken government.

I'll give the Tiger more time to impress me but thus far I want my $129.00 bones back, so i can go buy some drugs and or alcohol that better serve my purposes.

"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
 ~Voltaire

"Politics is the womb in which war develops."
~Carl P. G. von Clausewitz
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2005, 06:37:34 pm »

You have the very framework of the OS changed. Perhaps that means nothing this month, but in the coming months you will see pro tool speed ups and game speed ups. Core Image and Core Data have been overlooked. Perhaps you should take a look at the list of the 200 new features. Not too hard. In fact, here you go:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/newfeatures/over200.html

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
c| Spetsnaz.
*DAMN Supporter

American Anarchist.

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2005, 06:51:44 pm »

So they count each Dashboard widget as a new feature? Whatever, I still feel $129.00 is highway robbery.
And now my printer doesn't work.

"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
 ~Voltaire

"Politics is the womb in which war develops."
~Carl P. G. von Clausewitz
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2005, 06:59:37 pm »

You are obviously choosing to ignore the actual OS difference by  grasping on to the fact that widget was mentioned 20 times. 200-20=180. Read them.

John Lennon
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2005, 07:34:32 pm »

Just out of curiosity, what kind of speed improvements are you guys seeing under Tiger?  Just general things, like how fast applications open, how fast windows scroll, etc.

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2005, 07:36:08 pm »

I'll have that info by 3:30 today when i walk over to the reseller and pick up my copy. I'll try some benchmarks. Anyone else with a core image compatible card test the core stuff yet?

John Lennon
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2005, 10:01:38 pm »

1  -  I havn't sent apple any form of registratoin information whatsoever - (btw if you don't want it to send of info just pull the bloody ethernet cable out!  lol ) but i agree that small print sucks ass

2. Spotlight is good - no actually spotlight is fucking great. Ok for those of you that have 10 files on your HD and you keep them spotlessly organised its maybe its not quite so great... but for a dyslexic unorganised computer freak with a lorra lorra files well im hooked lined and sinkered!

3. GS - at the moment im finding great speed inprovments. The whole system feels a lot more responsive - i've done no gaming or seriouse application work on the laptop (other than a few hours playing Rise of Nations which incidentally seemed to run great) so i can't give you much info outside of the box - but applications like mail are fast, boot times are very fast, file copying, moving, editing everything in the finder and the OS feels... well fast.

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2005, 01:00:06 am »

Ok, so the retailer feels the need to take a day off after staying open a hour later yesterday... Tiger on monday...

John Lennon
Daf One

gloop, inc.

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2005, 01:35:35 am »

i got mine from microcenter today...they have a $50 dollar rebate going on until tomorrow(sunday May 1).Anyways I installed it, looked the same except for more apps, I haven't really dived into yet, looks "ok".  Then I try playing games, like Battlefield 1942 and it crashes and crashes and crashes :-(.  Then I try opening Mail, Freeze freeze crash :-(, then I fix permissions, mail is ok for now, BF1942 keeps crashing :-(. 

Enjoy the Classic.
Civrock

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2005, 01:53:11 am »

try trashing the .plist file of BF1942 which can be found in ~/Library/Preferences and is called com.aspyr.battlefield1942.plist.

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2005, 04:57:55 pm »

damn thats lorra lorra crashes... Did some work and some image scanning on the laptop this morning... no problemo's - its been running since friday now without a single crash or glitch! Cheesy

:MoD:Shade
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2005, 09:16:56 pm »

2. Spotlight is good - no actually spotlight is fucking great. Ok for those of you that have 10 files on your HD and you keep them spotlessly organised its maybe its not quite so great... but for a dyslexic unorganised computer freak with a lorra lorra files well im hooked lined and sinkered!

damn thats lorra lorra crashes... Did some work and some image scanning on the laptop this morning... no problemo's - its been running since friday now without a single crash or glitch!

Is that your new favorite word? Wink

Cobra

Slap ma fro!

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2005, 09:46:18 pm »

Hah.  What does lorra mean (looks like "lotta")?

If you don't like the way I drive, get off the damn sidewalk!
(SiX)Sheixhundt
Forum Whore

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2005, 10:46:49 am »

Yeah BFG, what gives?

Is it because youre 9 feet, 7 inches tall, and you have ginormous meatfingers, and they made the T and the R too close, and you cant help help but smushing the wrong key, or is a lorra lorra a juicy foreigner word??

The thought of B)ig-F)reekin-G)iant pecking furiously at teeny-tiny laptop keys at 4am with his massive slabs of ham made me laugh.

please clarify.
 lol

notice any problems at all with your install? or is it all gravy on your end?  Youve been freakishly positive (you ARE an apple mole, arent you??)...and Hey what about Macromedia? Does that stuff supposedly not work or what???

I discovered why the buddha laughs.
The truth is so horrifying, it's funny.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2005, 11:59:38 am »

oh crikey i hardly even noticed myself doing it! sorry guys!

First prize goes to Cobra. Let me clarify... Anyone heard of Cilla black? Used to be singer turned TV presenter - probably only in the UK. anyway she was from blackpool up north and had a crazy accent.. to cut a long story short rather than saying "a lot" she didn't pronounce the "T" and it came out as "lorra" as in "a lot of"  - but anway she had a catch frase which was "we're going to have a lot of lotof laughs  - but it sounded like "we're going to have a lorra lorra laughs" and i have no idea why its stuck in my head sorry!

Excellent, ive just read my explanation and ive even confused myself now!

made you laugh? Not half as much as your post has just made me laugh! Massive slabs of ham indeed  Wink

I must confess however i do look a little stupid with a 12" laptop - i look like ive got a slightly oversized Palm personal organiser in my hand apparently!! lol

No the macromedia apps seem to be working fine  - infact i haven't found ive tried to boot any apps that havn't worked Cheesy I have yet to hit any problems at all! - no crashes no unexpected quits... everything is hunky dorey Smiley  but im still to scared to upgrade this comp - going to wait till im all finished then do a sping clean of the comp and put tiger on.

Sheix stop making me laugh damn it, my meat-fingers can't type straight if i'm chuckling to myself!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads