*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 06:24:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip
| | |-+  Tech Talk (Moderators: *DAMN Hazard, Civrock, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | | |-+  Did anyone get their Tiger early?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Did anyone get their Tiger early?  (Read 10373 times)
Supernatural Pie
Useless Post-Count Whore
God bless the freaks

"Don't run, you'll only die tired."

« on: April 25, 2005, 02:52:56 am »

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000777041145/

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 08:24:36 am »

Apparently quite a few folk are starting to recieve shipping notices from Apple!! Wish i would  Sad

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
(SiX)Sheixhundt
Forum Whore

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 09:35:32 am »

BFG or any others, please pm me with your impressions once yours arrives and gets rolling.
Im nervous and scared, and need your reassuring words.

thx

I discovered why the buddha laughs.
The truth is so horrifying, it's funny.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 09:36:30 pm »

Want someone to hold your hand? Wink  Yeah, should be here soon, cant wait- its going on the Lappy (sorry laptop) first as a failsafe, then on this monster!

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 11:08:27 am »

I got my shipping notice late last night!! The baby is in the post Cheesy

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 01:15:35 pm »

I'll go pick up my copy at 6pm on friday at my local reseller. They aren't allowed to open the shipping crate until then apparently. (preordered though...)

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 01:27:37 pm »

Its a bit mad - quite a few people accidently recieved their copies from several US retailers (apparently MacMall and a few others) over a week early! and i know several people in the UK who have just recieved their copies... There must be hundreds of thousands of copies flying around the post right now.. but your resellers can't open the shipping create yet?!

Well all being well i should get it tommorow morning.. tried to track the package but TNT came up with a order from 2004 signed by "Gertrude" (bad name love really bad name) in Worksop... no thats not me!

hehe i love mac madness

Civrock

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 03:28:35 pm »

i got my Tiger package yesterday after i got the shipping confirmation from the Apple Store per email on tuesday noon. i love german mail, so fast! Grin

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 03:44:48 pm »

Damn you Civic, according to the TNT Tracker my Tiger package was either shipped last year to Gertrude in Worksop or its still sitting waiting to be delivered. Stupid bloody un-express lack of delivery

so  come on then, have you got it installed or are you still dribbling with anticipation? What is it like damn it, i need to get my hands on that bloody H.264 codec so i can encode this bloody project!

Civrock

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 04:32:21 pm »

everything is much faster than before, i have a startup time of about 15 seconds now! Shocked all around pretty much only positive experiences so far.

well, except a few bugs that i discovered...:

- stuffit expander doesnt want to work right. 99% of the .sit's it expands are empty folders... and the funny thing about that is that as soon as i move a file into the folder the expanded files appear all of a sudden, as if they were invisible. just weird... i hope they fix that, apple or the stuffit guys.

- quicktime seems to freeze my system sometimes when it starts a movie eitehr in the browser or in the app itself. not always... but sometimes totally unexpected and forcing me to force restart (holding the start button of the G5). very annoying and i hope that gets fixed with 10.4.1. Undecided

- when a game starts, or quits, it always changes the display resolution... this is where my system freezes and forces me to force quit almost every time also. wallbashing
my guess is that the cause of this problem are my two monitors. people with Tiger and only one monitor don't seem to have this "bug" and i don't know anybody with two monitors to test if it's only an individual problem on my system. again, i hope 10.4.1 fixes it. i didn't get to try it with only one connected monitor yet... i'm too dependent on the 2nd one in my usual work. i'll try that later. Undecided

(SiX)Sheixhundt
Forum Whore

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 05:07:52 pm »

thx for the heads up...

99% of my Client files come stuffed, and i just knew there was going to be fuckups...major ones..
And im sure apple is just jumping on with the support for these problems..

Ill suspend judgement for now, till i hear more, but they can kiss my ass..Im keeping my money. It aint broke, so I aint breakin it some more...ust for a few seconds faster startup...No fuckin way.
It'll probably break my email, pdf, and printer prefs too...

All three of those complaints are pretty stock areas & standard apps, and if they can't get that right, god knows what else wont work. ok..now im pissed all over again.
somebody give me some good news on this.

Go APPLE...

Good luck Civic, keep us posted... u2 bfg.

I discovered why the buddha laughs.
The truth is so horrifying, it's funny.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 05:34:44 pm »

OK so now im pretty scared... I wouldn't be upgrading (no ok yes i would im a freaking mac geek) this quick but im in desperate need of the use of Quicktime 7 and H.264 for my final year project... that and i guess im hoping its going to inject some much needed life and organisation into this babby Wink

- quicktime seems to freeze my system sometimes when it starts a movie eitehr in the browser or in the app itself. not always... but sometimes totally unexpected and forcing me to force restart (holding the start button of the G5). very annoying and i hope that gets fixed with 10.4.1.

Well that just about scares the freaking shit out of me... why can't it be widgets or whateveryou call em that fuck up.. why dose it have to be the one thing i really really need in the next 2 weeks?

They kinda sound like rather nasty bugs that you would have thought had been spotted in testing...

i'll need it, oh god!

BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2005, 09:41:18 pm »

See, told you guys it was a good idea to wait for version 10.4.1.  Wink

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 10:39:38 pm »

Most can be fixed with a QT updater. As for 10.4.1:

Apple Insider

Scheduled for release sometime next month, the Mac OS X 10.4.1 Update will reportedly tie several loose ends vacated when the Mac maker, on deadline, declared build 8A428 of Mac OS X 10.4 gold master on March 31st.

Almost immediately thereafter, the Mac OS X Update team at Apple began work on Atlanta, which will also include optimizations and deliver support for DVD Studio Pro 4, part of Apple's new $1299 Final Cut Studio video production suite.

Based on recent mumblings, it appears that Apple hopes to ship Final Cut Studio in mid-May, around the 17th. Due to the production suite's dependence on the Tiger update, it's assumed that Mac OS X 10.4.1 will be released around the same time.

Sources close to Apple believe the company will begin distributing pre-release copies of Mac OS X 10.4.1 Update to developers within the next week.

Meanwhile, at 6:00 p.m. this Friday, all 105 Apple retail stores and participating Apple Authorized Resellers will host “Tiger World Premiere” events to officially usher in Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger." The events are scheduled to run till midnight.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2005, 10:24:49 am »

Well folks my package of loveliness arrived this-morning, and the laptop is sat on my bed crunching its way through the Install DVD - i'll post up what ramblings and first thoughts i get, came in a bloody stupid big box considering its just a few cds and a freaking little brochure!! (PS for anyone that didn't realise - its not a install cd... its an install DVD)

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2005, 01:11:18 pm »

It surely can't take 3 hours?

John Lennon
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2005, 01:48:50 pm »

what to post ramblings? well im in uni now, had to leg it in so not much. First impressions of tiger though ...

Civic ive not hit the problems you listed yesterday which is reassuring! Stuffit is expanding and stuffing files without any problem ... but i wont hold my breath! Wink and quicktime is working wonderfully - just exported the first of my vids in H.264 and well its lovely - oh and the ability to scale the video window in real time is just awesome - how the hell they do that i don't know but i was just blown away.

Spotlight - it took about 15 minutes for it to index my HD on the laptop (which for the record had nothing much on) so i can imagine for those of us with lots of very big and full hard-drives the process could take quite a while - however once again it is most definatly worth the wait - the speed and accuracy is incredible!

Dash-bored... im not quite sure what all the crazy fuss about it is right now. i mean its pretty slick - some nice aqua effects and its handy to have everything in one place ... i grabbed the transmit ftp  widget - drag and drop feature apparently but i cant seem to let dashboard let me drag anything from the desktop etc anywhere near a widget... more fiddling when i get home Wink
- however that said - if developers really get their teeth into these things (and i spend some time familiarizing myself with it) i think the possibilities with these widgets is stupefying - the ease and comparability with retrieving and displaying realtime information is impressive!

Back to work... lots more soon Smiley
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 01:50:41 pm by BFG » Logged

Cobra

Slap ma fro!

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2005, 08:17:32 pm »

Super-tastic.  Keep the impressions comin', BFG  Smiley

I might be heading out to a nearby Apple store to pick up a copy today...we'll see if it works out.

If you don't like the way I drive, get off the damn sidewalk!
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2005, 09:04:51 pm »

Ack bugger i have go go to work in an hour but a bit more from me after my first day with my tiger.

Firstly for reference im currently running it on an original 12" 1Ghz Powerbook with 768MB DDR Ram.

And now on to the proper fun and games... my new pussy cat Wink The biggest "wow" factors that have gob smacked me today have to go to Spotlight (its everything they touted it to be) Quicktime 7 (the H.264 codec and the real time resizing of videos), and, a late entrance from Dashboard. Now a lot of people were very excited about dashboard but i must say i didn't exactly jump of my seat when i saw it - lots of us were saying "well its just a rip off from Konfabulator" ... well while eating a piece of toast and loudly slurping a mug of Tea (typical brit i know) It finally hit my square in the face. if developers get their teeth into this thing the possibilities are immense the effectivness of displaying information pulled off the web in such a slick form is stunning. I hope the big boys from Adobe to Aladin (not to mention all the fantastic little guys) really produce the works for this.
And dashboard for gamers? A gameranger widget - showing if your buddies are off or online, server status widgets, even ingame widgets so you can see who is winning or loosing in a MP game

So for Dashboard i can't wait to see what gets released. I have however one great big bug with this gadget... Now why can't i work and see my widgets at the same time? Say im working in Photoshop and i want to do some measurement conversion - great, i just kick up the converter and smack my numbers in; hey presto job done.. but i can't just slip back to PS, ive got to hide dashboard, go back to PS and then bring the dashboard back upagain to do my next sums... Ok its a petty thing - but my main computer is fine tuned to work exactly just how i want it (the way it should be) and when somthing like this dosn't work with the way i work... well it just bugs me a bit! Wink

Which brings me smartly on to my ears... or rather "bloop" "pingong" and "ziptash" No im not listing off cities in Vietnam, im talking about the crazy new sounds courtasy of the apple audio department... Call me a old man and i'll go get my pipe and slippers but some of them (like whenever you move any file!) get just a touch annoying!

mail.. or rather mail2! this wasn't just a face lift, this feels like a whole new application! Its slick its smooth, its sexy. ok maybe not sexy, but its a hell of an inprovment. The implementation of spotlight is great and the interface feels more inteligent and sophisticated - a lot less cluttered and a lot easier to navigate. My only complaint there... well it feels like a lot of stuff has been hidden away - a bit like when the kids clean their room by sweeping everything under the bed... so its into the customise tool bar option if you want to get your hands back on those nifty little features and tools.
- and lastly with mail, the intelligent mailboxs are, well fantastic - a perfect example of tightly integrated spotlight! Cheesy

Oh before i forget, the upgrade (i was running latest version of 10.3) went very smoothly - all my preferences were saved, shiex dont' take this as certain but don't worry about email, pdf, and printer prefs, i have had no such problems, credit where credit is due! Wink

Last little notes:
• No crashes, no errors, no hangs, no nothing that isn't doing what it should or anything doing what it shouldn't!
•Ive yet to test ichat video conferencing what with a rushed day (sorry brutha) but if anyone wants to hook up for a big one tommorow PM gimme a shout! 
• Stuffit (id have a look civic i think its at your end) is working perfectly, as is quicktime.
• The finder, the apple apps and most housework feels faster and more responsive. it takes the laptop a few seconds to kick start the GUI - but once it does kick in Tiger loads like a flash.
• Safari: does exactly what it says on the tin. It still feels very much like safari - although a bit quicker and slicker, and of course excellent css support in the reader. i like!
• Automater looks slick, but also like you need a big mug of coffee and a free evening if you want to really take advantage of it!

Last but not least, the old mac hands in the audience don't tend to dip into the OSX help menu very often, the last time i did was as i tested the water and speedinprovments of the help section in 10.3 - but if you do you will very very relieved to hear tht the performance of the help app/reader/section has been put on speed - it runs tens of times faster than before. i believe the expression is "excellent smithers"

Right, run out of time, i must depart to sheppard drunken teenagers for the night. cheers guys Smiley

Civrock

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2005, 09:35:44 pm »

And dashboard for gamers? A gameranger widget - showing if your buddies are off or online, server status widgets, even ingame widgets so you can see who is winning or loosing in a MP game

yeah, i made such a dashboard widget for z][t yesterday which shows the online/offline status of every member. i was surprised how simple it is to develop a dashboard widget (it is/was a pain in the butt for  konfabulator). Smiley

• Stuffit (id have a look civic i think its at your end) is working perfectly, as is quicktime.

according to StuffIt it's a known bug now and it seems to only happen on certain computers respectively configurations. they're already working on a Tiger-optimized version with the bugfix.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads