*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 11:01:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip
| | |-+  Tech Talk (Moderators: *DAMN Hazard, Civrock, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | | |-+  ATi Radeon X800XT
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ATi Radeon X800XT  (Read 5909 times)
cO.twist

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2005, 07:32:11 am »

ghost, if you have  an apple cinema display, you wont get over 60 fps in rvs...because its running @ 60hz.
BTs_GhostSniper
God save the Royal Whorealots

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2005, 02:44:23 pm »

ghost, if you have  an apple cinema display, you wont get over 60 fps in rvs...because its running @ 60hz.

Are you sure?  We're talking about the brand new 20, 23, and 30-in Aluminum Case Apple Cinema Displays here, not the old ones with the same name.  I have the new 20-in Cinema Display.  Maybe you're right though...man, that would suck.

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
Civrock

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2005, 03:00:27 pm »

Read this, starting with part 7:

http://www.richleader.com/bargainbinreview_fps.htm

The Apple Cinema Displays (the recent ones, too) have a response time of 16ms and run at 60Hz. The picture quality is good and they're widescreen, but they are not made for gaming.

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2005, 03:28:48 pm »

Damn, guess it's time for me to get a nice 20-inch CRT display for gaming.  Hell, they're dirt cheap, too.

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

Civrock

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2005, 04:41:33 pm »

Why don't you just get a good gaming TFT-Monitor?

crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2005, 09:45:15 pm »

Man, GS, you amaze me. Are you saying you'll use a non-Apple monitor for gaming and an Apple monitor for everything else? Such as switching every time you come out?

I believe there is a way to update your RvS.ini files to make your monitor refresh faster.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Unfortunately, most of them go hand in hand.
Civrock

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2005, 09:51:15 pm »

he could simply have both connected to his G5 and have a nice dual-monitor setup.

and lol, you can't just make your monitor refresh faster. it's the "scanning frequency" btw, the refresh rate is something else and can't be changed by the user either.

BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2005, 11:16:39 pm »

I can use a CRT that is non-Apple as long as it isn't on my desktop.  So, it will have to be on a shelf next to the desk or something...

Cobra

Slap ma fro!

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2005, 11:45:57 pm »

Howdy, GS.

Maybe you've mentioned it elsewhere, but I didn't see it in this thread: how fast is/are your CPU/s?  The X800XT is a significantly more powerful card than the 9800, and games that don't show an improvement in performance after switching may be CPU-bound.  Ghost Recon and Raven Shield are not games that will flaunt the power of that card.  Perhaps games like Halo (mm...maybe) and DoomIII might.  Games performing a large amount of per-pixel shading operations are going to see huge improvements from the X800; its pixel fill rate and shader processing speeds are around 2 to 3 times better.  Most older games don't take advantage of the newer capabilities the card has, so the most benefit will be seen in recent and future games and applications.

You said you play Ghost Recon.  Are you experiencing underwhelming performance in this game?  I think it should be performing at 100% for you.  I have a G5 with a comparable video card and the same 20" ACD as you, and I don't believe the game's frame rate ever even stutters.  If that's the case for you, too, I don't think you can really expect much more  Smiley  (and turn on FSAA if you're wanting higher image quality)

Raven Shield is just a dog, and I wouldn't use its performance to judge your card's capabilities.  This game must be doing some silly things to ever fall below 60 frames per second on this hardware.  It's not an ugly game (for the most part), but it's not working on (rendering or updating) a tremendous amount of data.  And yet it still manages to slow down in many places.  If, for example, I shoot out some windows, the frame rate suddenly drops by a good amount before the pieces disappear.  That's ridiculous — there are maybe 20 more transparent polygons when the window breaks...what the hell are they doing to kill performance like that?  It's unacceptable, because the hardware (2x2.5GHz CPUs, GF6800) is capable of doing much more at much higher speeds.

If you don't like the way I drive, get off the damn sidewalk!
(SiX)Sheixhundt
Forum Whore

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2005, 01:36:41 am »

Cobra hit the mark with his comment that some games are CPU bound, and from my understanding, RVS is one of them.

All the reviews that i read comparing the cards, said that while it was faster for the mac, for some reason the biggest difference would be seen and felt on the pc side, and NOT for games that were CPU intesnsive. Tom Calncys games were lsited as such. they did say it was faster, but said the diff in some games wouldnt be terribly noticable.

As to Cryppts notion, i do not think you can change the refresh on LCD9 not positive, but i think thats correct) and if you do, you risk getting it out of sync with the signal the game send and cant load into the game.  Best ideea, if you arent happy with 60 frames, is to use the 9Aspyr sanctioned) graphical tweaks that i point guys with lower frames to... Using these, (although i dont, ingame, I can readh frames of over 120 in standard maps, and around 100 in Athena sword.)  You do take a hit on the visuals tho...

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthread.php?t=5666&highlight=frame+rates

MASSIVE TIP HERE, that is NEVER mentioned...
will make the most difference....

in teh Ravenshield.ini you will find three lines that mention cache size...the default is 32, hence until you change it to meet your cards capabilities, it will only use 32 megs of VRAM...change anyplace you see CacheSize=32 to 256, and i think youll see what youve been looking for. It made the ENTIRE difference for me ingame...i was getting only about 40 fps.  If thats not enough, use the reset of the tips on that link.  This advice goes for anyone really, and especially if you know your card has more than 32 megs, MAKE SURE you change this or the game will never use all your card offers.

Then, if thats not enough go thru the link, and the most important feature listed will be the textureMax/minLOD...that deals with multiple layers of lightmaps, maps, bumpmaps on each object...  I can max in RVS at about 130 using these, and without i stay around 50-70  dual 2.5 g5 , everything maxed the fuck out. On COD  i maintain a steady 80.

hope this helps...

I discovered why the buddha laughs.
The truth is so horrifying, it's funny.
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2005, 07:35:56 am »

Then, if thats not enough go thru the link, and the most important feature listed will be the textureMax/minLOD...that deals with multiple layers of lightmaps, maps, bumpmaps on each object...  I can max in RVS at about 130 using these, and without i stay around 50-70  dual 2.5 g5 , everything maxed the fuck out. On COD  i maintain a steady 80.

hope this helps...

For CoD, did you change a file, as you did with the .ini files in RvS? IF so, can you tell me which? and where to find them?

thanks Sheix

The King of Pistoleros
(SiX)Sheixhundt
Forum Whore

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2005, 08:55:56 am »

Sory boss, those were just my stock fps numbers for CoD..
I dont have any tweaks for that one.

Sad

I discovered why the buddha laughs.
The truth is so horrifying, it's funny.
cO.twist

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2005, 11:04:21 pm »

the stock maxfps for CoD is 75 or 80 i believe.  if you type /com_maxfps 250 in the console, you'll be able to get over that 80fps barrier.

edit - also, type /rate 45000 and /snaps 50 for the best results.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 11:17:57 pm by cO.twist » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads