*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 01:10:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: hard to CB in season XI when evill BANS 5 tribes !!!!!!!  (Read 14331 times)
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2005, 12:25:23 pm »

Call it a hack, call it what you like, you were doing something that you were not supposed to be doing.

It's also in the ToS that other voicechat applications may not be compatible with GameRanger.

I fail to see how this can be called a hack when Gameranger has been in no way edited, altered, or tampered with in any shape or form. What my gripe is the fact that this is dictating what you can and cannot do on your computer while running GR - As its been discussed, do you think people would complain if Microsoft suddenly decided that you couldn't run Internet Explorer and itunes at the same time? - just imagine if your sat at your pc at work listening to your music, and then as you lauch IE it forces itunes to quit... why u might ask, well because microsoft have made their own music app and want to force people to buy it instead of using the free itunes.

So can if im not premium, can i run Gameranger and Netfone at the same time? Where does it say what i can and cannot do?  Is it a 'hack' if i run NF on another computer so i can talk to my bro at uni while im playing games? where is the clear information that tells people what is and isn't permitted.

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
Civrock
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2005, 12:27:49 pm »

and btw, its not in the tos, i didnt ever say it was in the tos.

It is in mine:

GameRanger may not be compatible with other voice communication software.

Last edit of this file, Terms and Conditions of Use, was on November 11th 2003, according to its info.[/color]

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2005, 12:34:24 pm »

Yup, then we have the same TOS and now I could find this line. However this doesn't include that it is not allowed to use other voice applications(beside the fact that we know what Evill allows or not)

However a new GR user that may brings NF to run, can't know about it, can he!?

Bye,

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
z][t-Magnetic

www.transistor6.net

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2005, 12:36:35 pm »

Is it illegal to use ichat?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 12:39:45 pm by z][t-Magnetic » Logged

Civrock

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2005, 12:41:29 pm »

However a new GR user that may brings NF to run, can't know about it, can he!?

Right, a new GR user wouldn't or couldn't know about it. But this is by far not the case for all of the persons who got banned. Wink

Is is illegal to use ichat?

No.

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2005, 12:44:01 pm »

no kidding Mags

lol civic, is that the response? ok so that line is saying that you might find that GR isn't compatible with other voice coms... makes it sound like its a known bug etc, not something that has been deliberately blocked, and that if you manage to get the two running will result in being banned.
If the TOA read somthing like this :
"Game-ranger does not allow users to use KDX or Netfone while playing games. Using KDX or Netfone while playing a game connected through Gameranger is a breach of TOA and you will be banned"

then i would say fair enough, its in the TOA, its your call. it isn't, it wasn't, and i think this is pretty crap

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2005, 12:44:43 pm »

Quote from: z][t-Magnetic on Today at 11:36:35 AM
Is is illegal to use ichat?

No.

um iChat is a voice comms software - so where does it differentiate between the two?

Civrock

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2005, 12:47:12 pm »

Knew you'd ask that. Wink Simple, because it's not an alternative for NF or KDX, it has nothing to do with the different company, same goes for Skype. They're bandwidth hogs and absolutely unsuitable for online-gaming. No reason to disallow them, your own problem if you use them for this purpose. Wink

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2005, 12:54:33 pm »

Ahhh so instead of saying this:

it should read the following:

Game-Ranger does not allow compatibility with other voice communication software that offers competition against the Premium feature Game-ranger Voice. Game-ranger does not want you to have the ability to be able to use these applications as due to their superiority of quality they are likely to be the favored alternative for players rather than  buying Premium

Just to get one thing straight, i've been using GR for bloody years now, and premium for a couple, i think its a great app, it does exactly what you want it to do - connect u to lots of other players and give u the ability to easily host, join and play games. Im all for scott actually making some money from all this work, and its well deserved, i just don't feel that this is the way to do it.

onwig

geeza!

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2005, 01:24:54 pm »

no, he could have made it so its payment only, he could have made a 300 second timer, he could make it so you only get 30 days of free service, he could make it so you only get 30 mins to play, he could make it where non prems can't host, theres loads of things he could do.

For the new people joining, they are unaware of the whole not being able to use KDX/NF while not being prem, so for those new people thats not really an issue, they would just login try the software find out it doesnt work and assume its always been like that.

Just as if evill had just started that thing from when we all joined, we would have been non the wiser for quite some time, if at all.

Ethion
Forum Whore

2x1.8 G5 at your service

« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2005, 01:41:25 pm »

I rarely use the in-voice just because I don't really have a need for it, even though it's better than N
He better should update the users tos with every new GameRanger update, mine doesn't have this line in it, but it's probably only outdated.

Onwig, you better should see this is an exchange of opinions not a discussion, because no one will move away from his point of view.

Yes, how can this not be a discussion? We have two different sides, one that things that GameRanger is nothing but shit. And Evill is a total jerk and so on.

And other people thinks otherwise.

From what i know, you haven't even tried premium, so you don't really know what it means.
If you want it in a "exchange of opinions" idea.

As for him going on a banning spree, that's for him to decide to decide. Alot of other companies does the same thing, they want to protect their property. Even though Microsoft is a dumb company and Ballmer can stroke my cock. He wants to protect what is his, that chinese guy that joined Google.
So if non-premium just go around and use NF or KDX they are violating the TOS as you have seen, then Evill is loosing money, on a service that alredy has the feature.

And as usual onwig has a point with his post about the restrictions, and Evill is going to restrict more. Although I doubt we will ever see a all-premium service.

*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2005, 01:43:37 pm »

You both misunderstood me here: I just wanted to say, that no one will be able to convince the other side that he is right.

Yes, I never saw any feature that would justify Premium for me, especially because I'm hardly online. Neverhteless I have Netphone and find it a pity that I can't use it.

Mauti
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 01:46:27 pm by *DAMN Mauti » Logged

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
eur.reddust

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2005, 03:24:15 pm »

quote #1 (Terms of Use, GameRanger, 11. Nov. 2003)
"GameRanger Technologies reserves the right to terminate or suspend your use of GameRanger at any time, for any conduct that in GameRanger Technologies, in its sole discretion, believes violates these Terms and Conditions of Use or that is otherwise harmful to other GameRanger users."

this means one can simply get banned for something or for nothing. since GR is GR Technologie's service they have the right to do so.

quote #2 (Terms of Use, GameRanger, 11. Nov. 2003)
"GameRanger may not be compatible with other voice communication software."

this way of choosing the words disguises the intentional implementation of a feature that disables the functionality of NetFone and/or KDX. bad style. and there is no announcement of a punishment if one tries a workaround for it. but anyway, if GR Technologies gets notice of this workaround (and if they won't tolerate it) one will be banned (see quote #1).

looks like they can do anything they want to, regardless of any netiquettes.

my only questions are:
1. how (which technical way) can GR Technologies get notice of the use of such a workaround?
2. is this way of getting notice implemented in the GR application?
3. if yes, is it considered illegal in australia?
4. if yes, who could and want to bring charges against it?

i think if you can't answer question 3. with "yes" you can do nothing but boycott this service or accept the inconvenience.

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2005, 03:34:27 pm »

1. how (which technical way) can GR Technologies get notice of the use of such a workaround?

Given that the work around does not involve making any changes to the application in any shape or form, then one of the two must be the case:

1. Game-ranger is collecting other information etc that we are not aware off other than the necessary info for checking game versions, check and dl updates, and anything needed to connect players to games, and the fact u obviously have to connect to the GR server etc.

2. Somebody told Scott that there were these players who (by using the work around)  were using the app, but were not premium.

eur.reddust

« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2005, 03:53:33 pm »

1. Game-ranger is collecting other information etc that we are not aware off other than the necessary info...
2. Somebody told Scott...

and now: when there is no evidence which version is most plausible? the answer drives us to the question: are both points illegal in australia. and can one something really do against it?

if point 1. is most plausible but there is no evidence why did anyone "interrogate" the application in question in the past?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 04:01:08 pm by EUR.RedDust » Logged
BTs_FahQ2

shit stinks, don't touch! drink more! beer shits!

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2005, 04:15:18 pm »

Hrm, here's a different thought about this whole topic.

Why are you arguing this now, because you finally got banned?

All that are bitching knew this has been in effect for quite some time.  I know we all bitched about it when it was enacted, but now that you got banned it is suddently worth bitching about again? If you really cared about the issue you would of either done something else since then or continued bitching.  But instead, you finally got caught, got banned, and screamed all bloody hell. Well, stop acting surprised that it finally happened, maybe he let it go on since it's inception, or maybe the workaround got out of control and needed to be curtailed.

In the end true, you may not agree with what is going on or you may not even like the program anymore.  But ffs, stop yapping with anger, slander and absolute stupidity.  In the end it's his program, his creation, his code, and he can do with it as he sees fit. Everything else is just a waste of keystrokes and empty threats.

"Forgiveness is between you and your God, My job is to help arrange the meeting."
www.rmgraphix.com
eur.reddust

« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2005, 04:25:47 pm »

Why are you arguing this now, because you finally got banned?

hehehe, let's push around those ban whiners!  lol
Ein

« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2005, 04:30:55 pm »

Just a question.... when installing GhR to play online, you must download several patches so that it can be played online. You do not need these patches for SP games, just to play the game online with multiple people. Are these patches considered to be workarounds also? If they are workarounds that are necessary to play the game and are still allowed by the GR TOA, then  which workarounds are ok and which arent? The way I see it, if GR may not be compatible with some voice applications, the workaround that these people created seem very similar to a patch to make their voice application compatible with GR.

Ein
BTs_FahQ2

shit stinks, don't touch! drink more! beer shits!

« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2005, 04:50:22 pm »

yeah ein, but the correct workaround was getting premium.  besides, patches make sure the games is fixed of errors and problems, GR doesn't let older versions play because it would screw the shit out of the game or not even work at all.  So, if you wanted the most updated and best playable game, even the single player needs teh patches.

"Forgiveness is between you and your God, My job is to help arrange the meeting."
www.rmgraphix.com
maco.fr

« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2005, 05:16:29 pm »

Nobody created workaround, nobody hacked GR to use NF.
Just 3 easy steps (not illegal) in the finder to fix the bug "not compatible voice" of gameranger.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads