*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 09:40:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How to imagine how double processors work  (Read 1347 times)
eur.reddust

« on: May 24, 2005, 06:15:27 pm »

I really like to know how a pair of processors work together in a Mac.

Is it like having a main proc that delegates work to the second? Or do they work like independent from each others? Maybe there is a grapical overview on this subject somewhere?

All say it's a great advantage having a double. I believe it but do I need it for simple every-day-work too?

Cool
th.Sentinel

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 04:31:12 pm »

Since no one bothered to answer your question yet, I'll give it a try.

First have a look at this:

1 and 2 are your processors.

They process  tasks they get from Number 4, called "Advanced PowerPC G5 System Controller".

If one processor is busy with a task, the system controller will give the next task to the other processor. This will improve your computers performance, since one processor doesn't have to do two tasks at the same time.

If you simply check your e-mail and surf the internet once in a while, you won't see the difference between a single and a double processor computer.

But if you want to do some work on it, in photoshop or movie edit program you'll see the difference. Cause some 3d-programs and photoshop filters have the ability to use both your processors to complete one task wich will give it a great speed boost. Some futur games will have dual-processor ability aswell.

+    + +    ++[+] +     ++[+]
bronto
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 08:42:34 pm »

the dual processor is one of those obvious ideas that should have been thought of before, but wasn't...like the beer that comes in a plastic cooler case that you can just fill with ice....why didn't anyone think of that?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads