*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:55:31 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: iPod video, 5th Generation / October 12th Event  (Read 7435 times)
Civrock
God save the Royal Whorealots

« on: October 03, 2005, 05:24:36 pm »

http://haligon.blogspot.com/2005/10/ipod-video.html

According to various sources, an event around October 7th will finally bring on the 5G iPod, the "iPod video". With a larger screen, overall a tad smaller size, the "big" iPod will have 60 and 80 GB drives and have the ability to view music videos, video podcasts as well as a selection of licensed TV shows, cartoons and short films from iTMS.
For all the critics out there: It's quite hard to ignore that iTunes and the iTMS have been prepared for (short) video content lately.
According to same sources, the price for the highend iPod video will be 499 USD.

But I don't know about anything...[/color]

- modified thread title!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 10:42:40 am by BFG » Logged

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 05:49:27 pm »

mac insider is saying much the same thing regarding newer ipods with a higher density HD in 60 and 80 GB. i guess it kinda makes sense to let people watch the music videos, but i don't think we'll be seeing people watching the latest movies on their ipods, i really don't.

Still waiting for the last revision of G5s with (hopfully) the new IBM duel core G5 chips... macinsider suggests they could be coming at the same time as the new ipods.

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
Civrock

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 01:23:38 am »

"Apple Computer will hold a special event in San Jose next week, the second such event in just over four weeks. The invitation sent out on Tuesday by Apple shows closed theater curtains with the words “One more thing…” written on top. Those familiar with Apple CEO Steve Jobs’ keynote speeches will instantly recognize the use of Jobs’ “One more thing” catchphrase, which is often used to indicate a blockbuster announcement. There was no indication on what would be announced at the event.

The event held in September saw the introduction of the iPod nano and the Motorola Rokr phone."

Civrock

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 03:11:24 am »

Additionally:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1304

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 10:48:39 am »

yeah which led on from http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1298

But appleinsider isn't renowned for being hugely accurate... but it sounds good!

No mention of my new G5 though... bastards Sad

Civrock

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 01:05:54 pm »

Fake or not fake, that is the question. Wink

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 01:56:41 pm »

Allrighty, that baby imo is a fake - the screen feels just a little bit to close to the edge of the ipod - especially at the curves at the top - just dosn't feel like the right proportions - and by my eye there is slightly less border on the left of the screen than the right...  allright so i'll eat my words if this thing does come out, but its the traditional UFO "add shit loads of grain to the image so ou cant see a thing" image, style.. so im not exactly jumping up and down Wink

- edit while im at it:

Look at the fecking scroll wheel - its not a smooth circle, looks more like its been cut out!!

The image on the screen is the exact same as the ipaq with windows mobile displays when it boots up, right down to the tiny print at the bottom describing the ver. number and date of bios.

i smell something nasty (can't find a smiley holding its nose, can anyone help?! Smiley )
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 02:00:08 pm by BFG » Logged

crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 06:38:01 pm »

Seems like Apple is getting ever closer to designing their own cell phone equipped with a hard drive. Possibly including touch screen capabilities like a PDA.

***crypt imagines what it would be like to scroll a digital wheel while listening to cell phone calls through my stereo system.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Unfortunately, most of them go hand in hand.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 06:41:14 pm »

Possibly including touch screen capabilities like a PDA.

*cough * Newton  *cough*  Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 01:32:36 pm by BFG » Logged

Civrock

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 03:17:46 am »

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0510oct12.html

October 12 Apple event to usher in new Power Macs, PowerBooks

October 5, 2005 - Select members of the industry and media received invitations Tuesday from Apple to a special event taking place one week from today at the California Theater in San Jose. The event, Think Secret has learned, will not usher in the much rumored video iPod but rather new PowerBook and Power Mac systems.

Specifics, however, remain scarce surrounding the PowerBook and Power Mac G5 update, which Think Secret first reported in September.

While the October 12 event will disappoint Apple watchers eager to see the fruits of Apple's labor on its fifth-generation iPod, it has become apparent that Apple wants to avoid detracting attention from the new iPod nano, which carries high margins and which Apple expects might sell up to 10 million units this holiday quarter. While full-size iPod sales have been depressed for the better part of the year, especially in capacities beyond 20GB, Apple's bigger priority at this time is halting the skid in both Power Mac and PowerBook sales.

PowerBook and Power Mac systems have both received small updates once this year in February and April, respectively.

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 03:56:49 am »

Because of course Steve always uses "One more thing..." to announce speed bumps  Roll Eyes

More seriously, its either a new product line [i.e. iHome+iPod AV+AExpress2] or it would be disappointing to waste a "One more thing..." on.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
Civrock

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 12:51:26 pm »

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0510oct12b.html

New iPod--but not video--on next week's itinerary[/size]

October 6, 2005 - Since coming forward with information concerning Apple's anticipated announcements next week, sources have clarified that while the October 12 event will not deliver a video iPod, a lesser update to the full-size iPod will arrive alongside the new Pro Macs.

The new iPod will be available in capacities up to 80GB and will be slightly smaller than current color iPods, sources have said. It's unknown whether Apple will keep the white casing or go with a silver version Think Secret sources spied in January. Contrary to Apple's initial estimates, iPod nano sales have favored the black units suggesting that Apple may offer another color alongside the iconic white and chrome.

Sources have been unable to clue into any other major improvements intended for the new iPod, although new software improvements introduced with the nano can be expected to be included.

While a video-capable iPod remains in development, without the agreements nor infrastructure in place to deliver movies to customers through a store-like interface, Apple sees little value in releasing such an iPod at this time. Apple insiders have also said executives see consumers needing the capability to easily import the DVD movies they own to a usable format (similar to the encoding functionality provided for audio CDs with iTunes) in order for a video iPod to be truly successful. The complexity to date of accomplishing such a feat has meant only a minority of computer users have dabbled with watching full-length movies on their computer, with most of those having acquired the content through file sharing services.

PowerBook, Power Mac details

Updated PowerBooks expected next week will sport higher resolution displays, sources have said. Although specific resolutions are unknown, sources expect the number of pixels packed into the displays to increase by about 15 percent on the 15- and 17-inch models. Much how Apple abandoned monochrome screens in its iPods this year, as Think Secret foretold in February, documents reveal the company plans to have widescreen displays in all of its systems in 2006. While it's possible that the 12-inch display currently featured in the PowerBook may be replaced with a widescreen model now, it's more likely to arrive next year.

Both updated Power Mac and PowerBook systems are expected to use DDR2 memory, delivering performance improvements beyond the typical processor speed bumps. At least one Power Mac G5 configuration will feature IBM's PowerPC 970MP dual-core processor, while PowerBooks are expected to see their PowerPC 7447A processor replaced with a slightly faster 7448 model.

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 01:35:35 pm »

well it definatly makes good sense not to steal all the thunder when they have just released the nano - hell u don't release a product and then a month later release another one that is going to take the sales away from the first one!! Lack of video ipod still doesn't surprise me,

Both updated Power Mac and PowerBook systems are expected to use DDR2 memory, delivering performance improvements beyond the typical processor speed bumps. At least one Power Mac G5 configuration will feature IBM's PowerPC 970MP dual-core processor

Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit if this happens i'm going to have to go work on the streets again trying to pimp enough money for this baby,

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 10:33:11 pm »

The iPod 4G is aging in a ugly way. But in honesty, the Powerbook is aging far worse. It makes little sense to announce a speed bump now, unless they are holding off on the MWSF Intel announcements. Then again, they could pull a G5 and allow pre-ordering starting in January fro products in Feb-March.

Sticking in DDR2 helps a make the Powerbook decent for something, but it's very un-enthralling to think about the message this sends about x86 Macs...

It's a shame that Apple hesitating on video capable iPods will likely loose them the iPods future as the rest of the market evolves. It would be nice to have a Video iPod support keynote presentations, that would be good fun [hook up to projector or TV]. Anyway, sad day if the videos don't come along.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2005, 10:41:45 am »

October 9, 2005 - Two new iPods, each available in two colors, will debut at Apple's media event Wednesday, sources have tipped Think Secret. The new models will be priced exactly the same as the ones they replace at $299 and $399.     .....

Lastly, reliable sources have informed Think Secret to expect at least four new Mac configurations on Wednesday, although further details were not specified.

Civrock

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2005, 02:12:35 pm »

Grin

Click it or open pic in new window to see it in full size.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 02:14:26 pm by Civic » Logged

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2005, 05:57:48 pm »

Well now...

so according to that doc i could get for £1927  the following?

A DP Duel Core 2.7Ghz G5
1MB L2-Cache
2GB DDR  (up to 8GB)
4 PCIe slots
400GB S-ATA HDD
Superdrive
ATI FireGL V7100 (256 MB)
10/100/1000 MBit Ethernet
2xFirewire 400, 2xFirewire 800
4xUSB 2.0
Digital Audio in-out
Airport/bluetooth

running 10.4, and with ilife 05 and iwork bundled...

Well if goes without saying if that actually appeared on wednesday, im ordering one! then again i don't believe what i see, i don't believe we'll see a duel core duel processor running at 2.7 Ghz, and suddenly getting a workstation graphics card, the ATI FireGL V7100?

One more thing!!

- PowerMac mini? hmmm not so sure, but what really makes me not believe that page? ... well they have just upgraded the Mac Mini's, and the specs do not match what they are describing at all - no DDR Ram, no 1.7 G4 processor not the mention the graphics card, so as much as i'd love that G5 tower... i don't believe for a moment i'm going to get to order it.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 06:04:09 pm by BFG » Logged

BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2005, 06:20:22 pm »

All I know is that I am within my one-month time limit to return my G4 17" PowerBook if they upgrade any of those to G5's.  Grin

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2005, 06:25:49 pm »

ll I know is that I am within my one-month time limit to return my G4 17" PowerBook if they upgrade any of those to G5's

I think your quite safe there mate Wink

Cobra

Slap ma fro!

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2005, 11:26:45 pm »

Hahah @ PowerMac Mini.

If you don't like the way I drive, get off the damn sidewalk!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads