*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 09:35:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A Standard Mod for CBing  (Read 1758 times)
Blitz

Pride and dignity mean nothing on the battlefield!

« on: April 29, 2003, 04:49:51 am »

Huh  I am confused.  I thought Battle League was to show how much a clan has improved, and to show how well they can work together.  Well, it achieved it, by cheating.  From what Mauti said, the night vision mod is now illegal.  Well, most of these mods are coming from the PC version.  To explain, just PM on GameRanger. Anyways,  there is a mod to show threw walls, and a bunch others.

Who needs to show skills, strategy, and leadership, when your team can cheat your way to victory.  Everyone might consider that i cheat if i am really good one night or day.  Then they say i have used a client mod.  Well, fine go ahead and say that, even though i only have a few gun mods, THAT I TURN OFF BEFORE A CLAN BATTLE.  

So this post is here to propose a standardized mod for it.  It will detect if any mods will be used, and provent anything from occuring to the clan battle itself.  I will get more info after i do a research.  So if you like this proposal just post here and say yes i like it, and if you dont, just say why.  Any questions about it fill free to PM me on GameRanger

Blitz Grin Cool

I WILL EAT YOUR SOUL!!!!! RRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!
The Ghost of Bondo
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2003, 06:45:37 am »

This thread is better suited for the BL forum.

The general answer in past discussion about this was that it would be too easy to modify the standard mod and make it a vessal for cheating as well.  It is better to just have faith and enforce when necessary that people don't cheat.
Jeb
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

i heart ghostsniper's austrian wife

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2003, 07:49:55 am »

a standard mod can be hacked just as easy as the normal version depending on who the host is.
A solution would be using a dedicated server to cb on, and hey we got 2 of them  Wink
http://mp.macclans.com
and you can request a time to be set up for cbs if your that freaked out by this Red Scare of types concerning cheating

No sig pics please! - Mauti
Next time you get a ban, Jeb.
|?K|*R@p1d*: i mean, i'm like the worst rs player ever
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2003, 08:59:31 am »

Blitz there are cheats for almost all games. All in all client side modifications that give you an unfair advantage were always forbidden but since so many mac gamers cheated each other I had to do something because most of them were using it without a shame. You can't do anything against it. The only solution I could imagine for the future is that every used original file gets an encoded watermark and the game checks this watermark as well as the exact size of each file. All mod tools doesn't allow to add watermarks into their files. This could be a working system. However back to the cheaters:

".. many use it... so I use it as well" - Cheaters cheated cheaters. So many well known players told me such bs.

Well the community will move on and general most games are played on day so it doesn't influence the outcome of cbs that much.

Bye,

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
Blitz

Pride and dignity mean nothing on the battlefield!

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2003, 01:19:54 am »

Smiley  Okay, i see where everyone is coming from, i just have to add something.

Mauti, i think the only way to get rid of most of the cheaters is like what jeb said, use a dedicated server.  If we have more, it would work so easy, but no one has those good of computers.  Or just make a server side mod of some sort for warm up games, i think that might help, it might not.  Now the question is finding out who is cheating. Mauti, i like your way of finding out who is cheating, but it might take too long.  So i will find a way to see...  Thanks for the input!

Blitz Cool

I WILL EAT YOUR SOUL!!!!! RRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!
.::|N|SOC

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2003, 04:55:50 pm »

Dedicated servers w/o some sophisticated cheat-check software won't do a thing to stop the cheats of the full-screen nv type....

Those cheats have nothing to do with 'mods'...they are mostly replacement files for texture maps, if I'm not mistaken. they are file modifications, not plug-in mods.

Unless I'm mistaken....

"I'm #2... and #1 is waaaaay overrated"

NETWORK :::: http://cwdim.com/forum
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2003, 06:24:16 pm »

Indeed dedicated hosting wouldn't help in this case because we are talking about client cheats: the gamer that joins can still use his modified files.

Dedicated hosting would only help against server side cheats if you have control over the server.

Bye,

Mauti

since 13th June 2000
Ace
Resident Ass
God bless the freaks

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2003, 12:28:17 am »

A dedicated server could require some form of checksumming to verify the sanctity of certain key files. I'm going to look into the feasibility of writing this kinda program over the summer. Hopefully it won't be too tough.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2003, 01:49:04 pm »

It would be more effective to create an applescript or something else, that controls the checksum of all important files, and that is required to start Ghost Recon from GameRanger. In other words GameRanger doesn't start Ghost Recon directly it activates the applescript that compares the checksum and finally starts the GhR app or if the filesum is incorrect it gives you an message that you can't start GhR becuase of some invalid files. Of course this would require some help from Evill but I am sure he is against cheatings as most of us are.

Bye,

Mauti

since 13th June 2000
.::|N|SOC

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2003, 04:45:48 pm »

but wait.....

In my humble worthless opinion, there might be a difference between playing on gameranger and playing in the battle league. The same rules need not apply.

For example... I have yet to have someone ask for a screenshot when I play on ace's server. Playing on gameranger in the usual pick-up games is supposed to be fun...not bogged down by all kinds of fairness issues. There can be no 'cheating' on non-BL games, because there are no written rules to be broken, or scores being kept, right? It's free-play time.

If we start raising fairness issues in gameranger (beyond tk-ing and blatant glitching), I think it's asking for trouble. I mean, is it strictly fair to mercilessly kill helpless noobs time and again? Is it fair to force all the noobs onto one hapless team or get booted from the server? Heck...is it fair to play seige and then leave with all your buddies in the middle of the game?

I'm stretching for comparisons, but I hope you'll see the point anyway. Some of these modified files are pretty cool to experiment with, and there should be someplace we can do that. Ace's idea sounded pretty good... let the server check the players, not gameranger. Or maybe do it Mauti's way, but instead of disallowing the players with modified files from joining, put a ***before their name...mark them somehow.

"I'm #2... and #1 is waaaaay overrated"

NETWORK :::: http://cwdim.com/forum
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2003, 05:13:47 pm »

Everyone should be against cheating.

If you want to try out files you can also activate them as server side mod and that's it. Just create a new folder put your files into it, copy a modcont.txt and write server-side instead of server-client. Activate the mod via GR ingame options and host a GR game. It's easy as that.

Well all in all there isn't such an app and probably Evill wouldn't help us there but it is an example how you could make a game safer. To activate a script from a dedicated server is more difficult to realize.

Bye,

Mauti

since 13th June 2000
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads