*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 02:22:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Does the sheep betting help you to get cbs going?  (Read 2567 times)
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster
God save the Royal Whorealots

« on: March 15, 2005, 01:20:54 pm »

Hi,

I would like to know how much your gaming behaviour has changed after the introduction of the Fatten your sheep system in the GhR CQB ladder. As you know the bet feature has 2 main purposes for user:

- avoiding the most common excuses to not play a cb, because with your bet you can influence the risk you gonna take
- giving your B-players a chance to play.

Did/could you make use of at least 1 of those features? Did your B-players play more? Did you get more cbs done? If yes, please vote so above.

When you don't see any difference in your or others cb behaviour since the FyS has been introduced this season please use one of the two "no" vote options.

The poll will run 10 days, then everyone can view the results. Further you are allowed to change your vote anytime.

Bye,

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
[:] Mr. T

STFU

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 12:03:50 am »

Wink Didn't effect us. [:] doesn't have any "B" players  Wink

[:] Special Forces Clan [:] http://www.specialforcesclan.org
:MoD:Shade
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 12:59:07 am »

Brutha will probably say the same thing when I say that it hurts the activity of the ladder.  I think it's quite rediculous that you lose sheep when you lose the CB.

You'll probably say that the Ladder has never been more active but I don't think that's because of the sheep system.

[:] Narauko

the Germans call this BEER?!?

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 04:25:26 am »

That point is true, if you didn't loose sheep at all people would be far more willing to cb.

nark?

War is a hobby, one Fucked Up Beyound All Recognition game.
[/color]
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 07:38:56 am »

Interesting point of view especially because the sheep aren't the decision maker in the FyS and are there to be used, but ok.

Bye,

Mauti

since 13th June 2000
[:] Narauko

the Germans call this BEER?!?

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 08:17:23 am »

It comes down to loosing points/sheep/sheep fat. Whatever you want to call it, put simply people would be far more willing if there was nothing to loose and everything to gain.

I think its the reason to why clans say no. Theres a whole load of excuses but only root cause, perhaps.

nark?

War is a hobby, one Fucked Up Beyound All Recognition game.
[/color]
Brutha
Forum Whore

Assumption is the brother of all fuck ups

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 11:04:16 am »

The simple fact is this, if there is nothing to be lost from CB'ing, then more CB's would be played. Simple as that. By looking around, by talking to ppl, I know that the sheep system is killing off some fun with CB'ing. So was the former point system. With a ladder as inactive as this, we don't need a system that scares ppl away from cb'ing.

Act beautifully, not dutyfully!
NiKLoT

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 01:32:11 pm »

but then we have again another or the same as b4 the sheep system problem...more cb=more points that would suck..
Brutha
Forum Whore

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 01:53:40 pm »

Why would that suck? thats the point, more CB's. Why do you want less cb'ing?

In a system where points are awarded, and not taken away, clans might not be as afraid of playing CB's. Lets say that lower ranked clans gain more by beating higher ranked clans thatn higher against lower, or even higher against higher. that means that the higher ranked clans need to CB because they have to stay ahead.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 02:01:44 pm by :MoD: Brutha » Logged

*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 02:05:31 pm »

Niklot is completely right, Brutha. What is the purpose of a ladder? Comparing Skills! Of course there are some ladders that just keep track of what you do.

If you don't lose anything the clan with the most cbs played is the winner(preseason AK 2001). However I have a complete new package for season XI, that gonna stay for a while, will be presented a bit later.

In the FFA ladder you also lose and nevertheless everyone plays. CB activity relies on many factors not just the calculation part. The sheep should have helped to increase the gaming aspect but obviously it unfortunaly didn't for all clans. Some clans like ?, E, :, ViP, Ops, a, just play other clans are stucked thinking about what to do. Well this thread wasn't meant for discussion I just need a feedback for some future work.

A system that works without penalty points is an "absolute" system where everyone plays everyone a few times. You get 3 - 1- 0 points(win - tie - loss). However such a system would require professional organisation from the clans and I think we aren't ready yet for it. However I'm working on project for university where I gonna realize such a system next to a "relavtive" system. The script needs to be tweaked upside down: adding charts to keep track whom you played, who is missing, etc... Last but not least a further problem with such a system is that it was meant for local play not global. Well if it isn't too mixed this could be done.

Enough, please everyone vote so I can take the appropriate measures.

Bye,

Mauti

since 13th June 2000
Acri

I swat flies with a hammer. Redundant?

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 02:06:37 pm »

I like that you lose sheep.

And further more... what the... Oh my god! You sunk Portugal!
theweakspot
BL Staff
Forum Whore

the first mexican-american idol

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 08:52:56 pm »

are we solely limiting this duscussion to the CQB ladder..... or are we talking about the team ladder as well?

Brutha
Forum Whore

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 09:46:36 pm »

Well, I am talking about all the ladders..

*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 10:19:31 pm »

The poll is solely about the sheep in the CQB ladder.

PS.: I gonna split all posts that have nothing to do with the poll.

Bye,

Mauti

since 13th June 2000
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2005, 02:05:33 pm »

- I couldn't answer that poll unless there was a  "sometimes a hinderance, sometimes beneficial"  option

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
DarK.
God bless the freaks

Forum's Evil Side

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2005, 10:42:22 pm »

The Sheep betting ruins some peoples will to cb, I have asked ViP many a time (punisher) to have a cqb and he says "why should we cqb, you will beat us and we will lose sheep"  I think that if the sheep thing is taken out (B players shoulndt be an option in this anywaym its a FUN ladder)  In the cqb ladder.  The real thing that has ruined the cqb ladder is the class thing.  MoD, being a level 4, and someother clan with equal skills but playing less, has a smaller class.  The first place person should automatically be level 5 though, so that  the first place spot is a show of skills, not whoever cqbs the most, which is what it shows now.

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics... Even if you win, you are still retarded.
theweakspot
BL Staff
Forum Whore

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2005, 12:36:11 am »

wow, vip clan said that?

I dont think there is much anything wrong with the CQB ladder.  Sounds more like something is wrong with that clan's sportsmanship.

I dont care about the CQB ladder.  I think our clan only uses it when we dont have anyone on to CB.  It's a FUN ladder and we use it as such.

BTs_Lee.Harvey
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Evill: Don't make me smack you.

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2005, 12:40:43 am »

Niklot is completely right, Brutha. What is the purpose of a ladder? Comparing Skills! Of course there are some ladders that just keep track of what you do.

And how would a ladder set up to not loose sheep change this?you would still have the skilled clans who like to cb alot at the top.. and smaller clans who would normaly be afraid to cb those clans (b/c they might not think they are skilled enough when they actuly might be)might be more willing to test the waters and cb the top ranking clans.
Lets say.. a new clan forms of some fairly unknow players..... now they might be a realy good team playing together. But b/c they see a clan who has been around for a long time.. and won the last season or is high ranking in the current season. they might be afraid to cb them.. so they play alot of not soo good playing clans.. b/c they  are afaid of loosing those sheep they have already won. Now.. If they could cb a top ranking clan...... with no risk of loosing these sheep they have already won.. they might do it.. and show how skilled they realy are when they beat that higher ranking clan.

Djing isn't realy about celebrity, or money, or getting laid, it's about music. Music is what motivates the finest DJ's:they love it, they live for it.
theweakspot
BL Staff
Forum Whore

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2005, 12:58:37 am »

I hear you on this one Harv.  Really I do.  I think the only pitfall to not losing my be a scenario like this....

say a certain clan is on all the time and manages to cb 50 times in a season.... they lose 30 and win 20.  Let's assume they end the season with 300 sheep (100 originally and 200 for win the 20 cbs for 10sheep ea.)  What if another clan played only 25 cbs in the season and won 18 and lost only 7..... and lets just for the sake complicating this scenario that the first clan decided to only play 'lower tier' clans.  How would it be equitable to compare these clans?  I mean, one clan had a far better winning percentage but lost because they the other clan simply had more in sheer volume of cbs.

Perhaps that leads to my biggest complaint about the system.... strength of schedule.  It's simply not equitable.  How can you get 24 sheep from  a clan from a 'noob' clan and I get 10 from the top clan and have that be fair?

It's like college football, I guess.  How can a win over USC count the same the same as a win over Saint Mary's Girls college?  In this case on the DBL it's even worse.... because you got even more from beating a noob clan than i got from beating an obviously tougher team.

I'm hoping Mauti will tell me that the FyS system accounts for this inequity.  The problem with the ladder- even though i like it and think it is partially successful- is that it is fundementally flawed in how it measures success.

EDIT:  I Meant to put this in the other discussion about the ladder that is going on
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 01:03:18 am by theweakspot » Logged

BTs_Lee.Harvey
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Evill: Don't make me smack you.

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2005, 01:13:56 am »

It's like college football, I guess.  How can a win over USC count the same the same as a win over Saint Mary's Girls college?  In this case on the DBL it's even worse.... because you got even more from beating a noob clan than i got from beating an obviously tougher team.

BTW.. St Mary's is no longer an all girl college.. Its like 40 mins away from here.. and they now let guys in there too .. but anyway

Yes you are right.. IMHO.. I feel that the BTL lad a realy good point/ladder system. I cant remeber all the details of it.. but i remember that it did work out realy well.... If you cbed a clan ranked nearyou.. and beat them.. most of the time you took there spot on the ladder.. and they got bumped down a place. If you cb's a clan that was a few places away rom you.. you got moved half way up the ladder from where you were compaired towhere they were (its all how the points worked out) If you lost you might loose a place or two.. and if you didnt cb within a certain amount of time (i think it was atleast one cb per week) you lost places.. and if you didnt cb in over 2 week or so.. you were placed as inactive on the ladder.. and you could chalenge the other clnas through the ladder web site.. if they accpted but didnt show up.... they auto lost the cb (the web site kept track of that).

I just think that the curent system ( like i stated when we deside to impliment it while i was an admin) would have the same probs as the old system...

Djing isn't realy about celebrity, or money, or getting laid, it's about music. Music is what motivates the finest DJ's:they love it, they live for it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads