*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 01:32:23 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mainseason Winner additionally awarded  (Read 6577 times)
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster
God save the Royal Whorealots

« on: February 09, 2005, 11:18:33 am »

After a few discussions and thoughts about the mainseason we came to the conclusion also to award the mainseason winner of the team ladders with a winner medal and entry in the Hall of Fame. We do so to award the efforts that have been put into the mainseason.

The Hall of Fame entry will look like this:

The big season headline and then below it:

GhR Mainseason: Clan XY
RvS Mainseason: Clan YX
-------------------------
GhR SuperFinals: Clan YX
RvS SuperFinals: Clan HJ

No rules are changed for this, we just honor your mainseason performance as well, which may make it even more important to win it, and if you also win the SuperFinals it's great otherwise another clan deserves an entry into the HoF.

Have a nice day,

*DAMN Mauti and the *DBL admin team

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
cO.Vickedson

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 03:16:32 pm »

Errrr, don't like this.

No other sports put the "regular season" champs into anything like a hall of fame.  If that was the case my Kansas City Chiefs would be considered the best team in the NFL during the 1990's because they had the best overall regualr season record for the entire decade.  But they have always "underperformed" in the playoffs and that should not be rewarded.

Playing regualr seasons has always had the point of seeding your squad higher thus giving you a better chance to win the playoffs.....  It should stay that way.  It "cheapens" the playoff victory by displaying the regualr season champ right next to them in the DBL Hall of Fame.

IMHO...

"...........dodge this......|wham|!?"
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 03:26:25 pm »

The reasoning behind this Wickedson comes from several angles:

At the moment it is felt we have an unbalanced system in that the season 'winners' are decided by a handful of games on one given day, and it has meant that the relevance of the 'main' season has been all but removed.

By recognizing the ladder winners we are injecting the need for clans to play - the competition is prolonged and we are giving you the flexibility in competing. The relevance of the season is returned - if you want to win it you need to compete, and there can be no cases of "well we're in the top 6 so we can sit tight and get to the finals"

If it was an 'either/or' situation yes i agree one would be cheapening the other. But before the main even which dominates the season was being 'cheapened' by the finals. By recognizing both the ladder winners, and the super final winners we are recognizing each accomplishment for its achievements- for clans that are able to consistently perform and compete for the duration of the whole season, but also clans that are able to stand their ground and win in the weekend knockout competition of the super-finals system.

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
cO.Vickedson

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 09:17:32 pm »

I see your point BFG but still think adding a "season champ" category is the wrong thing to do.  10 out of 10 times the best 6 clans make the finals.  If you can find me a season where the best clans didn't make the finals please do so but the whole idea of "sitting in the top six" just doesn't pan out.  It's never happened before there's no sign it could happen now.

So, it comes to who performs in the playoffs.  In any other form of competition the idea of a team hitting their stride at the right time is a reality.  Players who can't perform when the pressure is really on, or there is "no tomorrow" shouldn't be rewarded the same as the ones who can.  No one can explain why some teams perfrom extra special in the playoffs but that's what it takes to be a champion.

When I think of Season X I want to remember the -UnKnowN.[?] clan, or some other talently team that may overtake us in the finals due to some unforseen injury, and how great their championship was.

No offense to the regular season champ....who might beat the shit out of alot of noobs for high sheep bets....and then can't perform when it comes to beating the bigwigs, but I don't want to remember you at all.

+

cO.Vickedson

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 09:21:12 pm »

By recognizing the ladder winners we are injecting the need for clans to play - the competition is prolonged and we are giving you the flexibility in competing. The relevance of the season is returned - if you want to win it you need to compete, and there can be no cases of "well we're in the top 6 so we can sit tight and get to the finals"

Back in the day we had minimun cb requirements for all clans to participate in finals.

Does this still exist?  If you think dodging clans to get to the finals is a problem raise the # of required cb's......I think the minimum is 12 now....how bout 20? 

Civrock

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 09:34:59 pm »

No offense to the regular season champ....who might beat the shit out of alot of noobs for high sheep bets....and then can't perform when it comes to beating the bigwigs, but I don't want to remember you at all.

all in all i agree with you... but: that's pretty much exactly what the "Proposal for upgrading the Team ladders to the FattenYourSheep System would prevent. you would get awarded more for beating high-ranked clans and less for low-ranked ones already in the mainseason. your clan voted against it, tho...

my opinion to this topic: if you award the mainseason winner also, besides the superfinals winner... you have to upgrade the GhR/RvS Team ladders to the Fatten Your Sheep-System (FyS-System), which i'm all for, to give this decision the last necessary bit of sense.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 09:59:15 pm by z][t-Civic™ » Logged

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 10:05:49 pm »

You get a chorus of cheering from the MP5 clan for this one! Smiley

If you can find me a season where the best clans didn't make the finals please do so

*DBL Season 7. BTs beat out superior clans in MP and BoC. ( And they deserved it, they played damn well at the end of the regular season, not taking anything away from them. )

Fortunantely, that's not how it works. You're speaking from the stand point of someone who wasn't around before the finals standpoint. You get an exciting end to the regular season because every clan is fighting for the top spot. If you can't beat the top clans, you've got no prayer of winning.

Thank you for a system that finally makes sense and rewards clans for their play during the regular season.

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
BTs_Mysterio

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 10:09:06 pm »

Not to over shadow typhy's superior post, but sports do recognize regular season winners. In the NHL they recognize the winners of both conferences (regular season).

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 12:44:10 am »

Can it be that your post is a bit ironical, Flies!?

We often mentioned the clans that had the best streak, most cbs played etc in the season summary.

However seeing how many cbs you may gonna play during the main season should be unawarded? I think to win the main season isn't easy, to win the SuperFinals is even more difficult and needs excellent skills and a bit luck of course because you have only one chance, and then you need to be perfect and if you win both then you are even the master Cool

I think both awards don't make it a flood of awards just 2 per season. Is that much? - Does it make the winner of the SuperFinals look weaker?

On the other side it really pushes the main season again. Not to play a few cbs and then sit and wait to get into the finals. To be number one you have to be active.

Bye,

Mauti

since 13th June 2000
cO.Vickedson

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 12:53:45 am »

Not to over shadow typhy's superior post, but sports do recognize regular season winners. In the NHL they recognize the winners of both conferences (regular season).

Yeah, and that league has turned out great now hasn't it?

Wink

----------

OK, you guys can have your regular season winner icon or whatever...

BUT PLEASE...make the finals winner a much bigger achievement, because it is.  At least print it smaller or something.

----------

all in all i agree with you... but: that's pretty much exactly what the "Proposal for upgrading the Team ladders to the FattenYourSheep System would prevent. you would get awarded more for beating high-ranked clans and less for low-ranked ones already in the mainseason. your clan voted against it, tho...

My clan is against any rule changes whatsoever during the season.  In fact I'm very much in favor of the FAT SHEEP system.

But thanks for reminding me how my clan voted.

Merged posts - bfg
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 04:59:23 pm by :MoD: BFG » Logged

Typhy

Woot

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 01:03:53 am »

BUT PLEASE...make the finals winner a much bigger achievement, because it is.  At least print it smaller or something.

I would consider winning the finals a FAR smaller achievment than holding first place through the season. Winning the finals requires not having a life and being able to spend 6 hours online on a Saturday. Winning the season involve constantly winning CBs and beating out quality oponents.

I didn't want to say this, simply because of how rude it sounds, but it's pretty funny to hear a bunch of newbies who weren't in the BL before the finals system ramble on about how "meaningless" it is to win the regular season. Give things a chance before you go straigh to the preemptive whining. What a clan does during a 90 day period is far more important than what a clan does during a SINGLE DAY.

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005, 01:20:43 am »

Ok we all have our different opinions and no matter what if you win BOTH you are the king!

I think both are good achievments that are hard to reach, but I agree with Vickedson that it needs more strong nerves to win the SuperFinals while you may can already do a lot of good prework during the mainseason. However the season will show how close the clans will be together at the end and I'm sure that both will be very emotional ;-)

Icons will be different of course, not just in text, let me surprise you.

Bye,

Mauti

since 13th June 2000
Civrock

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2005, 01:26:06 am »

I would consider winning the finals a FAR smaller achievment than holding first place through the season. Winning the finals requires not having a life and being able to spend 6 hours online on a Saturday. Winning the season involve constantly winning CBs and beating out quality oponents.

I didn't want to say this, simply because of how rude it sounds, but it's pretty funny to hear a bunch of newbies who weren't in the BL before the finals system ramble on about how "meaningless" it is to win the regular season. Give things a chance before you go straigh to the preemptive whining. What a clan does during a 90 day period is far more important than what a clan does during a SINGLE DAY.

first point: if we don't upgrade the system on the GhR/RvS Team ladders to the FyS-System now, the new additional award for winning the mainseason is meaningless! you can play "easy" low-ranked for as many sheep as the limit it allows and stay high-ranked or even win the season. this doesn't really require any skill. FyS-System - NOW. Smiley

other point: in my opinion, the SuperFinals ARE a much bigger achievement. playing on a SINGLE WEEKEND, with a lot of PRESSURE, against the BEST CLANS of the mainseason... compared to playing a whole season long, against opponents of your choice, whenever you feel like it... etc.
Roll Eyes

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
~Po~ TiroFino

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2005, 01:27:52 am »

Most major "Sports", award a special recognition to the season winner; in fact Baseball awards a recognition to the winner of every conference... same with basketball, hockey... and in soccer, all major soccer countries award a winner mid-season too, they call it the mid-season or winter champ!

In all, it sounds reasonable to award a recognition to the season winning clan! To make this smaller or bigger..is just pure EGO! so I won't go there .

"Ask not what your Mac can do for you, but what you can do for your Mac"
BTs_Mysterio

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2005, 01:38:41 am »

Yeah, and that league has turned out great now hasn't it?

Wink

Im sorry, but yes it has. Btw, admins, is that triple post justifiable? Civic, it makes it meaningless if there are tons of problems on that weekends and having some clans no show. 60 day seasons are harder than 2 finals CBs, I don't much care for finals, but to quote vick that was "back in the day".

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
cO.Vickedson

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2005, 02:26:24 am »

When exactly were these magical times before any finals?Huh

Seasons 1-3?  That's really what you're talking about and calling people names over?

Maybe instead of newbie we can start using terms like "burn-out".....But again, not to be rude.

Let's be real.  You can have quite an impressive record over a 2 month season and really be not a very good clan, this may just be my opinion but so be it.  No fako clan wins the finals and that's a fact.

All I wanted to do in objecting to automatically creating two Hall Of Fame awards for each season was to make sure that the finals winner stood well above the regular season winner.

Prince of Wales Trophy, Clarence S. Campbell Bowl, Lord Stanley's Cup....which do you recognize as the best?

BTs_Mysterio

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2005, 02:39:27 am »

No, as in the 6 month season with no finals that was the most fun ever.

John Lennon
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2005, 02:53:22 am »

A 6 month "preseason", followed by 3 standard seasons ( total well over a year ).

Let's be real.  You can have quite an impressive record over a 2 month season and really be not a very good clan, this may just be my opinion but so be it.  No fako clan wins the finals and that's a fact.

No "fako" clan, huh? What has Core's record been in the past 2 regular seasons? 1-3. Core has won 2 tournaments.

Right now, 1 win is enough to get into the finals. MOD at 1-0 is in the EXACT same situation as Dr at 8-0. Is that fair? Shouldn't Dr be rewarded for going 8-0? With the finals setup, and every clan getting into the finals, the regular season had become totally worthless. It meant nothing. It took 1 CB on the last day to get into the finals, then be in the same spot as someone who'd been CBing all season.

I honestly can't understand what the hell you're whining about. This is best for both of us, you still get your beloved finals, so that you can sit infront of your computer for an entire Saturday, and those of us who enjoy 90 days of fun competition as oposed to 6 hours of bordome on a Saturday have what we like.

cO.Vickedson

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2005, 03:04:44 am »

Dude, I already talked about a minimun amount of cb's to qualify for finals.  Let me get a partner and all you RVS clans can beat up on me and get that minimun, hahaha.  Whatever, I can jump on my bike for rides to central park or down the hudson if I get bored between matches on that Finals Saturday.......so I don't mind it at all. 

[:] Narauko

the Germans call this BEER?!?

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2005, 05:59:24 am »

a no finals ladder was alot better. on the other hand awarding both parties, ladder and final winners is good with me. I see the finals as more of a tourney or cup anyway.

-nark.[?]

War is a hobby, one Fucked Up Beyound All Recognition game.
[/color]
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads