*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 11:41:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Threat Indicator ON or OFF  (Read 3479 times)
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2003, 08:14:38 pm »

I say turn it off, because:

2. it eliminates snipers

This is blatantly not true. If anything, the TI helps snipers. It helps them far too much, actually, which is just as bad as making them useless.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
Flame

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2003, 10:10:19 pm »

If the TI was NOT reliable, then it might be alright to have it on. For example, if it showed a red dot when no one was near you, and the yellow bars lead no where. Although this may be harsh to people who use the TI and depend on it to kill, it would nice to freak them out, sorta like having pucks in RS.
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2003, 11:45:50 pm »

Oh, yeah, I agree. If there were some counter to the TI, I wouldn't mind it. In that case, it would be a balanced thing. But as it is, it's basically implying that special forces recon troops have some spoooooky sixth sense about where every enemy in the battle is.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
jn.loudnotes
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

I'm tired of being creative.

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2003, 06:29:17 am »

As long as we're talking BL rules, why don't you just eliminate camping.  Yup. . .if you camp in a BL clanbattle, it doesn't count.  Do it often enough and you could be penalized.  Sound reasonable?

Because even though their are points against it, the TI is extremely useful to GhR gameplay.  To use Loth's example of Siege:

Defense in most maps is incalcuably boring.  Do you really like sitting there for long periods of time, turning around and around, checking your flanks and your rear, and seeing nothing for minutes at a time?  Does it excite your pulse, give you a rush?  Maybe for a minute. . .but then either you screw up and die, or time runs out, or you finally fire your one or two shots of the game.

In big maps, the TI helps you find people.  This is rather important, seeing as people can be hard to find.  Remember that both sides have it.  Even though the camper can get an idea where the enemy is approaching from, the enemy also has an idea of where the camper is.  The game has rockets and such for a reason. . .plus you can easily flank a camper.  If the camper has people coming from both sides, and continually has to turn around, he's probably not going to be able to pick off both of them.  Problem solved.

Furthermore, I'll argue your issue of realism.  In the field, the military is likely to have some kind of support that would give an idea of where the enemy is.  This could be satellite imagery, field scouts, drone aircraft.  All sorts of data can be updated to the minute.

It's not a 6th sense, it's real life.  And, it's more fun.  

I'm not actively playing in the BL, so this isn't a huge issue to me.  But do you all really enjoy the long drawn out search and destroy games that are 90% searching?  And how fun is it to die without ever seeing who shot you?  Or knowing where the bullet came from?

TI should be on.

< insert clever and original signature here >
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2003, 08:00:28 am »

In theory, I agree with you, loud. But I've played with the TI. It inevitably leads to a lopsided slaughter. It doesn't balance out the game, it doesn't make it harder to camp, it just enables the side who started in the better place to win the game in a couple of minutes.

|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2003, 08:20:15 am »

Loudnotes, two small issues with your post.

1) how could you prove that a team was camping?  That may have been sarcastic and I may be too drunk to notice.  But if it wasn't, I haev no  ideal how to go about proving it.  Or disproving it of accused wrongly.

2) your point about it being real like scouts, aricraft, etc is all good, except that you should have to look to a device to get that information.  Like the map.  Anything that would be realtime like that would require you to look at it, not just see it while you are zoomed in on another target.

I'm in pretty close agreement with Loth, my only othe point being clans can develop tactics to help against snipers, but not against aweful starts like he mentioned.  But Mauti's plan is a strong one.  Let people CB for a while with it then come back with their opinions.  

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
kos.viper
Forum Whore

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2003, 08:39:01 am »

After playing the game with the TI on and the TI off, I myself am now aiming towards the TI off.  I feel like I can assualt better with the TI off when the enemy has no idea where I am shooting from.  I don't know, both ways the game still has a fast paced feel, of course I haven't tried playing with the Ti off on some of the HUGE maps.

Obviously the Ti has a few pro's and con's, but why has the PC world set the Ti as something to be left on for a clan battle?

kos.viper
Xbox LIVE Gamertag: Brain 7
The box said "requires Windows 98 or better"... so I bought a Mac.
BTs_Colin

Not Gorfs Brother

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2003, 04:14:04 pm »

Don't worry what the PC world did. You didn't listen to them when it came to HBS and 3rd person (even though you should have lol).

The TI would be perfectly fine if there was no red dot in the middle and it just showed the starting direction.  No drone/aircraft/Green Beret 6th sense will indicate precisely when an enemy gets close to them. If one man flanks silently his efforts are wasted by a yellow bar indicating his presence. There should be benefits for staying out of LOS but TI negates these. Also if a team stops a flanker it immediatly disappears. There would be no way of knowing that there wasn't more guys over there but the yellow bar would disappears giving it away.

There are other ways to learn these things. First of all if shots are fired in a certain direction, if would call that a pretty obvious THREAT INDICATION!!!

The TI encourages a gung-ho style with disregard for self preservation. A team that plays stealthily and with coordination should be rewarded not given a disadvantage.

One other point, I could understand the TI being on if you had to look at another screen to get it but as it is now its just taking away from the GGs.

Well just my 2?.

i'm the DP facial when your searching for teen
BTs_Colin

Not Gorfs Brother

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2003, 07:59:47 pm »

Well I just CB'd DEA.

These rules need changing. ASAP I will not CB again until they are changed.

This is a rushing game now, it encourages rambo-ing around alone.

Maybe 2 vs 2 was the problem.

i'm the DP facial when your searching for teen
kos.viper
Forum Whore

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2003, 10:57:52 pm »

Ti plays a big role when it's off.  I caught a team off guard when  they were attacking full force straigh ahead of them while I went around and flanked them ending the game.  If the Ti was on I would have wasted 10 minutes of creeping along by some guy looking at a yellow bar indicating "enemy right."

kos.viper
Xbox LIVE Gamertag: Brain 7
The box said "requires Windows 98 or better"... so I bought a Mac.
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2003, 02:34:12 pm »

As you can read it in the BL news the BL rules have been changed to TI OFF for all GR cbs.

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads