*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 06:15:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Term Limits for Battle League Admins...  (Read 3793 times)
Brain
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

Respect: The most important thing you'll ever earn

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2004, 07:36:19 pm »

the other fact you two are missing is that by using admins who participate in the league, our admins are constantly up to snuff on what is going on. by hiring 3rd parties to come in and watch the game, they would have to worry about making sure they understood every nuance of the game, such as at what point squatting down behind a door that the enemy may be coming through stops being a tactical pause and becomes camping (ok, so that may be a bad example, but i hope you get the idea i'm trying to get across).  by using people who play the game, we avoid this issue completely.

if you still insist on having totally non biased admins, may i suggest using GhR players to admin the RvS league and visa versa?

"Engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance."  Dr. A. R. Dykes -1976
Ssickboy

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2004, 07:36:59 pm »

hmmm, bringing money into the picture....

my rent was just increased $100.  I'm not happy about it, but what can I do?  Nothing, except make sure I get my money's worth and call everyother day to fix everything.  Suddenly I have no room for faulty or even somewhat faulty things around the apartment.  Until the system is perfect 1000% there will be complaints and threats to not renew etc.  Before rent was raised I was more willing to help out and do repairs myself if I could.

The way it is now, the whole community should feel somewhat responsible for it's smooth operation whether they're an admin or not.  I think the system is fine now until there is a more stable operating set of rules and point system to administer. Maybe we're close already, but I'd like to see a few seasons first, before changing things drastically again.  

Money is not going to fix your problems at the moment.  Save your money and learn to be open minded and sympathetic to someone other than yourself. That's where we are as a BL at the moment.  We're not gonna get anywhere with "me! me!" attitudes.  It's about pitching in to build and maintain a ballpark of our own, and Mauti is generously providing us the space to do it.  

Thank you Mauti, and Elandron.

Retire Bush
Ssickboy

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2004, 07:41:36 pm »

I do think having a variety of clan representatives is the best option if not better than third party admins.  Agreeing with Brain... knowing the ins and outs is very important.  And like I said earlier the rules are not solid enough yet to implement simple 3rd party overseers.

Retire Bush
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2004, 02:13:16 am »

Flies, I love you. Hahahaha.

Has anyone considered making the admin section partially public? Specifically, I'm talking about opening up for public read-only access threads relating to issues that are at least one season old, and which are settled and finished. Bucc is right when he says that the community has insufficient information to make any sort of rational judgement on which admins are doing a good job. This would allow the community to see what admins are individually arguing in these cases, and would provide at least some of the information that we are lacking.

I can easily imagine the admins not being pleased about this idea, though. I know I wouldn't be--my argumentative style would be very different when only a small group of peers (read: people in the same boat) would read it than it would be if I were posting publicly. Anyway, one more idea in the mix.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
BTs_GhostSniper
God save the Royal Whorealots

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2004, 03:10:09 am »

Has anyone considered making the admin section partially public? Specifically, I'm talking about opening up for public read-only access threads relating to issues that are at least one season old, and which are settled and finished. Bucc is right when he says that the community has insufficient information to make any sort of rational judgement on which admins are doing a good job. This would allow the community to see what admins are individually arguing in these cases, and would provide at least some of the information that we are lacking.

YES!  I like this ideal.

Make it so.

-GhostSniper Out.

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
BTs_Lee.Harvey
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Evill: Don't make me smack you.

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2004, 03:10:55 am »

WEll.. one reason that it is not open is b/c well.. Mauti does not want the rest of the BL peeps to see us arguing and flaming eachother like we do sometimes when we deal w/ some probs.

Djing isn't realy about celebrity, or money, or getting laid, it's about music. Music is what motivates the finest DJ's:they love it, they live for it.
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

.:N|General Billy likes his salad tossed!

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2004, 04:48:16 am »

Actually the Admin section has been very chill as of late. All the Admin seem to have the same arguments but can still be civil with each other. As it should be.

Has anyone considered making the admin section partially public? Specifically, I'm talking about opening up for public read-only access threads relating to issues that are at least one season old, and which are settled and finished. Bucc is right when he says that the community has insufficient information to make any sort of rational judgment on which admins are doing a good job. This would allow the community to see what admins are individually arguing in these cases, and would provide at least some of the information that we are lacking.

This could be something considered, but am very weary of this. If we give permissions for read only to all members it just gives the opportunity for someone to read what we have posted in the admin area, then just flame the shit our of it in the public. I am however intrigued by this.

.:Voodoo:.
Adult Gamers Alliance
*DAMN Battle League Administrator 2002 - 2004 Retired
Brothers of Chaos - Winners of *DBL Raven Shield Season 8 with 14-0 Record
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2004, 10:00:46 am »

An interesting idea... although recently a lot of our discussions have not taken place on the admin forum - recently due to the complexity of the issue six of us spent several hours on Netfone in deep discussion... for a member of the community to just look at the forum would not give them a fair look at everything that was being discussed, they woul dhave to know what we said in pm's in GR, and what we talked about in discussion over NF....

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
Brain
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

Respect: The most important thing you'll ever earn

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2004, 11:11:59 am »

i'm not a bl admin, so i know that i have NO reason to be posting my opinions on this at all, however i feel that this would be a generally BAD idea.  this would simply provide fuel for flames, as well as provide people who would want to bring about the demise of the BL a blueprint of any weaknesses in it's command structure, complete with big blatant callouts.  it would be far better for the admins to beat each other bloody in a private area (which is not far from what happens now) and come out of it showing a resolute front than to have those fights aired to the wind later on.

ii do however believe that some sort of disclosure is necessary.  i can see the admin section as a gg mod and thus make informed calls, but most people can't. perhaps a public opinion record for each issue  should be posted with each admins vote on a particular issue. and alternate options that were presented and favored by the descenters (kinda like what the supreme court does)  this would keep the worst of the fighting out of the public eye, but allow the public who voted yes/no/abstain for what, and who favored what option

"Engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance."  Dr. A. R. Dykes -1976
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads