*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 12:04:01 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  *DAMN Battle League(*DBL) (Moderators: BTs_Mysterio, *DAMN Hazard, BFG, Civrock, BTs_GhostSniper, ~Po~ TiroFino, [a] LYNX, Phara, mesa)
| | |-+  news from evill
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: news from evill  (Read 6059 times)
KoS.Rebel
Forum Whore

+-Killers on Spree-+

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2003, 03:38:17 am »

I dont think Evill has the balls to do that. If he did then either the smart mac users (ie Jeb) would rework it and get around whatever evill does or the rest of us would just exhcange the IP to a host for a match over AOL and then join. Not using GR. THis would hurt evills economy and make him cry (yay!). I dont think evill is that stupid to pull a stunt like that.

The extent of one's abilities is only limited by the restrictions of one's mind
Noto
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2003, 04:36:15 am »

We get 30 days to try out Premium right?  Well shit, I still have a week left.  If Evill is going to take away the NF option, then he had better make sure that the in game voice communication is available for all players.  I bet more than half of the people playing on gameranger aren't exactly the types of people who just throw $50 towards Australia.  I would also bet most of the people on GR are kids, who already begged their parents for money just to buy the games that they can play on GR.  I say we do what the PC world does: IP join.  GhR allows it, and it also allows NF.  Why would one person be able to decide to not only put passwords on rooms, but also to block NF?  WTF IS THAT?  Perhaps Evill thinks people will buy premium because NF will no longer be available.  I have a feeling though that more people will go elsewhere for GhR.  Maybe we should look into something like that.  A GhR public gaming platform.  I would pay someone $50 for that, and I can tell you it's not going to be some guy in Australia who decided what 3rd party software I use or do not use.  Is he also going to ban optical mice?  How about flat screen monitors?

.::|N| Noto
BTs_Lee.Harvey
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Evill: Don't make me smack you.

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2003, 04:58:00 am »

Oh, and btw, don't talk too much about anti-trust, since neither GR or Haxial are American companies (both Australlian) so their laws apply, and since you don't have to pay for GR, and most of the people that would complain haven't paid for NetFone, it wouldn't even count as anti-trust in America.

heh.. i have payed for both......

Djing isn't realy about celebrity, or money, or getting laid, it's about music. Music is what motivates the finest DJ's:they love it, they live for it.
killertoad

omg its a sucubus

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2003, 05:05:30 am »

Evill needs some books on how to run a buisness

Mess with the best die like the rest
killertoad

omg its a sucubus

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2003, 05:10:56 am »

If it comes down to osx only we will have lost half our buds, if he does that we can all leave GR and use IRC for our games

Mess with the best die like the rest
c| Lone-Wolf
*DAMN Staff
Forum Whore

Frog blast the vent core!

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2003, 09:20:20 am »

Here is what i think, and only what -I- think, mind you, not the rest of The Co||ective.
It isnt worth our time to start arguing with each other (aka Bucc vs the world) over this issue, post suggestions on what to do about it or, in a non-argumentative way, post ways to deal with it, assuming it does happen.  If Evill does demonstrate true asshole-ish-ness and kill NF, then these suggestions will have to be given more thought, but if he realizes this would be virtual suicide for the GhR community on GR, and relents, then this will all be worthless posting anyway.  

So to kick it off, these would be my suggestions for dealing with the unhappy possibility of NF being killed.

Im not sure how it goes on over in PC land (are there any gaming programs for PCs?)  but it would have to revolve pretty much around IP joining, and people could add fluff n stuff after it starts stabalizing.  (ex for that would be someone making a page of static IP hosts, and allow the hosts to change their server's status from Active/Down/Dedicated, this is all assuming we write GR entirely out of the picture mind you)

Anywho,

EX: For a CB, the CB is organized like usual and then a host is decided on, ip is given out to everybody else, and then everyone logs off GR and IP joins.  

Or, EX for a normal game, ideal would be if host has 2 computers, logs onto gr and makes a room & locks it, w/ title giving IP of the host, ppl then log off & join hosts IP game (that is assuming we are worrying about NF in non-CB games)

Just my thoughts on it.  Last thought, somebody take pitty on Evill and pay for him to go to a business college and learn 1) PR, and 2) Marketing =P

Quote from: (SiX)Sheixhundt
Air is a mechanism of control.
and i reject it.

They cant hit me from all the way over the-
onwig

geeza!

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2003, 11:39:33 am »

my comments

remember that saturday GR was down for 3 hrs...... ok mb i should have gone out and done something  but bah... i am just a noob.... but anyway back to the 3 hrs thing... it was a taster of what could happen with no GR... so as far as i am concerend he can do what the hell he likes....

« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 11:41:51 am by onwig » Logged
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2003, 12:32:18 pm »

three years old bucc not six.

You couldn't buy a new computer in 2000 that wouldn't run OSX Cutter.  Sorry, try again.  Go ahead, tell us which machine you bought new in 2000 that can't run OSX, please.

For Snipe, the RS monkey, I have this: do the math about how much the RS community is still gaming on GR.  A quick gander at the GR web site shows us that RS wasn't even 3% of the top 15 games.  Call it 2% total.  And that's just games.  You know games like GR use a lot more people then RS, and I'm not even allowing for the people that still play RS but also play GhR.  Tell me where it makes business sense to worry about that small a part of the community?

For all the primates that are saying Evill needs to go to business school, etc, let me remind you that none of you mentioned P&L, and don't know what the fuck you are talking about.  You are just spoiled and bitching.  I guess you'd all be happier if GR closed down since it's lost so much money over the years then if it was trying to make money and survive?  Time for all of you to go to business school and shut the hell up about Evill's business plan.

It's sickening to listen to a bunch of spoiled kids bitch about GameRanger like it was something owed to them.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
Supernatural Pie
Useless Post-Count Whore
God bless the freaks

"Don't run, you'll only die tired."

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2003, 02:40:56 pm »

For Snipe, the RS monkey, I have this: do the math about how much the RS community is still gaming on GR.  A quick gander at the GR web site shows us that RS wasn't even 3% of the top 15 games.  Call it 2% total.  And that's just games.  You know games like GR use a lot more people then RS, and I'm not even allowing for the people that still play RS but also play GhR.  Tell me where it makes business sense to worry about that small a part of the community?

There are 125 games on gameranger. You think Evill should only care about the single top game?

I'm not putting down OSX. In fact, I love it! I can't wait for Panther to arrive in the mail! But to take away GameRanger for 9 is doing more taking away any other single application for 9, because as GR for 9 goes, about 75 other multiplayer games go with it. (VERY ROUGH/RANDOM ESTIMATE)

I would be perfectly content if Evill completely stopped updating GR for OS9, but to take it away completely is just... bad.

As for the NetFone thing: It's sketchy. I'd rather avoid comment on it until I hear some more about what everyone else has to say.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 02:42:43 pm by Agent SNiPE » Logged

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti.
Cutter

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2003, 07:16:55 pm »

ok mr. smarter than everybody. i have a 2000 366 ibookse w/193 ram. look it up. even if it could run osx it would bog it down to the levels of my old apple IIc+. bucc my mac barely runs rs. so go ahead argue some more, i know you need your fix!

Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.
c| Dr. NO

Co||ective

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2003, 07:53:59 pm »

Sound like you work for Evill bucc.

I for one will not be paying for GR again if he blocks nf.  I'll use ichat...maybe.  GR chat is nice, but not when i have to hit a button everytime to use it, + its buggy as hell.

Finish each day and be done with it.  You have done what you could.  Some blunders and absurdities have crept in;  forget them as soon as you can.  Tomorrow is a new day.  You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.    - Emerson
Ace
Resident Ass
God bless the freaks

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2003, 07:57:03 pm »

First, Evill cannot stop us from using NF. I'll guarantee you that |MP| will have an easy way around it.

Second, I think that if Evill specifically states that GR will stop NF during the game, then it's not a legal issue for him. Only if he did it covertly would he be in legal trouble.

Third, OS 9 is dead. Get over it. If you want your RS so bad, use classic.

Fourth, who the hell called Jewb a smart Mac user? :P

Fifth, if you don't like Evill's service, don't use it. It's as simple as that. The only people who have a right to bitch would be Premium's who paid for it before this was announced.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Typhy
God save the Royal Whorealots

Woot

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2003, 08:09:55 pm »

Ace,

First, RS runs like shit in OS9. Purple + Shitty framerates make it unplayable.

Second, I'd honestly rather take the 30 seconds to boot into OS9 to run RS perfectly than take the same 30 seconds to open classic to run it like shit.

Third, old macs? If I only had a 366 iBook or something with 64 Megs of RAM, I sure as hell wouldn't be running OSX. Not everyone is able to shell out 2,000 bucks for a new mac.

I bought Premium, so I have a right to complain. Personally, I think it'd be within Evill's best interest not to take features away from non premium members. Non premium members not being able to post highlighted links is just a pain in the ass for us premium members. He's hurting both them and us by blocking non premium members from using to many of the features.

Oh yes, and lastly, Jeb, smart Mac User? Perhaps if you catch him early enough in the day.  

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2003, 10:16:54 pm »

Sound like you work for Evill bucc.

May sound that way No, but I'm just sick of hearing the whinny ass bitches who don't really have a clue.  

Like I said, how many of you would like it better if he just shut it off?

There are 125 games on gameranger. You think Evill should only care about the single top game?

Did I say the single game?  I think he should worry about the games that are really being played, and new games coming out.  Which equals OSX in both cases.  

Look at the top 15 games on GR (and the numbers), All those games except RS can be played in OSX (not using classic).  That's 97% of the games played.  So he wont support Klingon Honor Guard anymore, so what, I haven't seen it played in over a year.

Don't talk about 125 games that are playable, talk about the games actually being played.

Third, old macs? If I only had a 366 iBook or something with 64 Megs of RAM, I sure as hell wouldn't be running OSX. Not everyone is able to shell out 2,000 bucks for a new mac.

ok mr. smarter than everybody. i have a 2000 366 ibookse w/193 ram. look it up. even if it could run osx it would bog it down to the levels of my old apple IIc+. bucc my mac barely runs rs. so go ahead argue some more, i know you need your fix!

Funny, I have an iBookSE366 running Panther right fucking now dumbasses.  I even know that Typhy has seen a picture of it.  It runs OSX just fine.  So don't give me bullshit about your computer not being able to run it.  It's not bogged down at all.  

And you can max it's RAM out for about $100, not a huge expense.  

Just another case of someone talking shit that they haven't tried yet.  So fuck you and your "smarter then everybody" comment, because you don't seem to know dick and I'm tired of being a nice guy to idiots.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Cutter

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2003, 10:45:33 pm »

ha ... you consider yourself a nice guy?

|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2003, 10:52:15 pm »

At least I'm not a dumbass.

Cutter

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2003, 11:34:13 pm »

bows head and slowly walks away.

hehe...only other bastard on gr with the same ibook had to be you huh? Tongue

anyway, thx for the enlightenment, i'm gonna try that out. should hold me over till i get a g5...or my wife kills me, whichever comes first. Grin

Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2003, 11:51:00 pm »

Removing NF from the picture is a smart way for Evill to get more Premium sales. Who uses NF in the GhR world? Clans. I've never used NF for a pickup game, and I never planned on doing so because of the logistic difficulties. Now, if your clan's non-Premium members suddenly are cut off from the voice chat, they're probably gonna think about getting Premium pretty damn quick. Thus, more money for Evill.

You guys have to remember that if somebody doesn't pay for GR, Evill doesn't give a rat's hairy butt about them. He's catering to the people who give him money, which is a pretty typical way to stay in business.

That said, the only thing I don't like about how Evill is handling the voice chat is that when he first started talking about it working dynamically in-game, my thought was "hey, that'll be great for pickup games!" However, because 80% of GR's GhR players can't use the in-game voice chat, it is useless for that application. Personally, I'd like it if non-Premium users could hear the voice chat but not speak over it. But that would work at cross-purposes to Evill getting more money in the way mentioned above. So it'll never happen.

Without the ability to use the voice chat for pickup games, I'd prefer to keep using NF for its ability to voice chat outside of games, too. Ah, well.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
Scott_Kevill

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2003, 07:23:04 am »

Cutter and Harvey, stop being drama queens. I said several times that OS 9 support would not be removed "soon" like you keep claiming here. I said "eventually." And no, Cutter, I never promised that there would be OS 9 support for the in-game voice comms - right from the start I said it *may* happen.

Typhy, Premium users can still click links typed by non-Premium users. They merely aren't highlighted.

Scott.

GameRanger - the multiplayer online gaming service
Typhy
God save the Royal Whorealots

Woot

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2003, 08:42:59 am »

The links thing is a minor annoyance. I just don't understand why you did it.

In order to impliment some advanced features in the future, Evill would possibly have to make GR OSX only, however, it seems that he could still have a stripped down version for OS9.

Funny, I have an iBookSE366 running Panther right fucking now dumbasses.

Quite hostile, although, I would hope that most of it is directed at Cutter. What I said still stands true with the ammount of RAM that I mentioned. What I failed to mention, though, is that if your machine can't run OSX ( acceptably ), then it can't play any games aside from things like Chessworks and Bolo, so you really won't have much of a use for GR. Like Bucc mentioned, Cutter, if you maxed out your RAM, you could run OSX.

[/color]

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads