*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:11:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Questions & Concerns pertaining to Season 5. **Caution - EXTREMELY LENGTHY**  (Read 4366 times)
Noto
« on: June 30, 2003, 05:19:03 am »

I would like to take this wonderful posting opportunity to bring to light a rumor that has been going around the main chats lately in concerns to the existence of a Season 5 in the Battle League and beyond.  I would also like to post a few views about any upcoming seasons that may or may not take place.  Since I play Ghost Recon only, you will notice that the majority of my points of view are concerning the Ghost Recon Ladder and not R6 or RS.

First off, many of the members of GameRanger have been asking if there will be a Season 5 or not.  I hope that there would be of course since the *DAMN Battle League is pretty much the only Mac gaming league available for players of Ghost Recon.  I know that this past season has brought about many concerns: New rules, cheat tests, illegal modifications of game data, and so on.  I?m sure this has been quite stressful upon Mauti and the many moderators of the BL.  Many of these stressful situations that have arisen have surely disenchanted quite a few gamers from the enjoyment of the game itself.  Hopefully, these situations do not contribute to the lack of a Season 5, and that being said, the following paragraphs contain a few proposals for a more enjoyable, and hopefully, less stressful season to come.

Point No. 1:     I have noticed that the majority of the decisions that concern all actively participating clans do not include the input of the majority of all actively participating clans.  I?m not insinuating that the *DAMN Battle League be run by the squabbling of ?noobs? and the incoherent rhetoric of ?seasoned veterans?, but what I do suggest is an addition to the existing forum.  This addition would serve as a place for members of the BL to openly give suggestions on how to make the BL more efficient, and more importantly, more enjoyable.  A leader or representative of each actively participating clan registered on the BL would vote upon these suggestions.  The manner in which they vote does not matter at this point, but what does matter is that the clans would have more to participate in than clan battles alone.  I believe this aspect would encourage more activity throughout the season, which I believe is what the majority of what gamers out there would like to see.  

Point No. 2:     The current skill point system is not conducive to enjoyable, meaningful, or impartial play.  Perhaps it has sufficed for this past season and even the season before that, but I suggest a new system be instated that rewards clans for their active participation.  During Season 4 there were clans who gave life to the BL by clan battling more than other clans combined.  There were also clans who waited until the 11th hour (23.00+ GMT) in hopes of taking away hard-earned points away from the clans who have given life to the BL, which these last minute clans have avoided for an entire season.  Many of the clans at the top of the ladder towards the end of the season worked hard and put something into this league, while other clans refused to clan battle until the last two weeks.  What skill does it take to wait to clan battle until the last minute, and then camp your way to victory?  If anything this behavior discourages clans who actively participate and most likely pushes them towards the lack of participating in future seasons.  The current skill point system should be set aside while a new system is designed.  Just in my point of view, the new system should still have maximum limits as to how many clan battles you may participate in per clan, but I also suggest that minimums be placed on the number of clan battles per season.  This could be broken down to a certain number per week, or per season.  Either way, it promotes the clans who have clan battled all along, and it forces the last minute clans to either battle or be inactivated for that season.  Furthermore, the new system should be clear-cut and formula free.  The system should lie out clearly the number of points a clan would attain as opposed to the old system of winning some of your opponent?s points.  The current system allows clans who have never clan battled before to steal points away from a clan who has participated all season.  This is clearly a problem if the clan who wins has waited until the last possible moment in the season to clan battle.

Point No. 3:     The current Ghost Recon rules have so many interpretations, or loopholes,  that it boggles the mind.  I think that much of the confusion is due to a lack of proper wording.  Again, this section of the BL should be completely clear-cut so that gamers as young as 10 and as old as 100 would understand without any confusion, interpretation, or discussion.  I have also noticed that many of the rules in the BL are retroactive rather than proactive.  If a committee such as the aforementioned committee in Point No. 1 were to revise the rules, it would have the unified knowledge and resources of leaders and representatives of every clan in the BL.  Why not leave the rules making process up to the people who play the game each and every day?  Final approval could be conditional from an okay from moderators and Mauti, but I would think it to be unnecessary since the conclusion of any and all voting processes would be what the majority of gamers felt, not just a handful of persons who might not even play Ghost Recon.  Again, I would think this would relieve some of the stress put on Mauti and the moderators so that they may concentrate on other issues.

Point No. 4:     Cheating is now becoming more and more a part of Mac gaming, and Ghost Recon is not immune from it?s reaches.  This is very unfortunate, but it is a reality that we must acknowledge and proactively work to resolve.  It seems that server side mods offer the most efficient way to prevent gamers from using actual game cheats, but at this time, there are very few ways in which to prove a gamer is using modified game data.  We all know that we can edit our options.xml file.  We all know that we can remove different effects for maps.  We all know that certain gamers out there consistently try to see how far they can go before being accused, or caught.  I think the most direct avenue to take on this issue is to determine how to prevent cheating and not how to prove it.  As of now, there are only two ways to prove someone is cheating.  Unaltered screenshots is one method.  It is very unreliable and time consuming.  I have been in clan battles where both clans agreed to just avoid night maps so as not to perform a cheat test.  Another method would be to allow open access to user files via file sharing protocols located in System Preferences.  This would allow a moderator access to a gamer?s files so that the moderator could check for recently modified files and/or missing files.  This would of course be an unmentionable method of routing out cheaters.  I, for one, would not appreciate being accused of cheating, and I would further be disturbed by allowing access to my personal computer files to prove my innocence, which contain much more than just Ghost Recon.  This of course could be discussed in the committee mentioned in Point No. 1.  

In closing, I would like to thank Mauti for this Battle League, which he has put far more many hours into than any other person associated with the BL.  I think that the BL has grown to the point where responsibilities need to be handed out to responsible clan leaders and representatives.  It?s not that I do not think Mauti can control his own BL, but I do believe it?s to the point where it has become more of a burden than a hobby.  I also take this time to apologize to all the folks out there who have endured this massively long, and at times, boring post.  I have tried to be as professional as I can be, but I?m sure I have upset at least a few people with this post.  As for the readers who wish to complain about this post, please do so in a professional manner.  I have given a fair amount of time to think about what I am writing and I would hope that any response would be given the same reverence so that it may be taken seriously.  And finally, I post this because these are my views.  They are not necessarily the views of my clanmates, nor of other members of the BL.  This is merely my opinion.  The reader should not disagree, but should agree to disagree so as to keep this thread as civil as possible.  Good luck to all groups in the Ghost Recon finals.  The clock is counting down, and God knows I have wasted half of finals just writing this.  Have a good night, and I look forward to a successful and well-participated Season 5!

---|n|`Noto    (a.k.a. C.J. Keenan)
+MOD+26ralee

soon come

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2003, 05:39:00 am »

I start by saying what a great job Mauti and his crew do..

For NoTo .....  I agree to agree

i worry about the on going flame wars between clans affecting the effectiveness of the appointed leaders of the respective clans to make progress in the direction of a better system, maybe i underestimate the maturity of the respective leaders...i could be proven wrong

i think it is a great idea to have a GHR counsel ... at least give it a shot
†FiRE Infection
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Cold, calculated and brutal as greatness requires.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2003, 06:53:10 am »

Well the thing with the councel is that some people could just make clans so that they could take part in it and swade a vote.  Also if a vote was very close and a new rule was only passed by a couple of votes there would be many unhappy people, what if someone from BTs and One vote no but the leader from a smaller clan like SW turns the vote to yes.  That would make a lot more people unhappy than happy, considering the sizes of the clans.  This couldn't be like the Senate, because it wouldn't be fair, it would need to be like a each clan gets a larger vote by number of members which is just way too complicated.  Ideas are always open and considered.

About there being no Season 5 I don't understand where you guys are getting this from.  There is going to be a couple weeks break after season 4 so scripts and some new things can be worked on to make the bl better.  Mauti already said this.

About the cheating and stuff, yes it does make the jobs of mods and Mauti very stressful and a lot of work with the large percentage of updates, especially in the last 2 seasons where the games have been doubled having 2 popular games out, but it's our jobs.  If we need help we hire another moderator and weed out some inactives until they are able to help again.

Evill: Infection, Hazard, take your duo act back to the Bar & Grill.
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2003, 07:38:43 am »

The idea of the council (note that that is the correct spelling : P ) is a good one. Infection's concerns can be addressed by putting a minimum age for voting clans, such that a clan must have been in existence and active for at least X amount of time before they are eligible to participate in the council.

An alternate solution, or one which could be used in conjunction with the age limit, is to make inclusion of new clans a matter for the council to vote on, perhaps with a simple majority needed for inclusion. Naturally, interclan politics could easily create problems with such a system, but it may serve to keep known troublemaking clans out of the council. It's something to consider, anyway.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
*DAMN Hazard
God bless the freaks

Where is the knowledge we lost with information?

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2003, 08:03:35 am »

I think Noto did a great job of expressing the concerns of himself and other Ghost Recon players in the community in a respectfull way, I commend him for that.

1. I think it would be good if the rules were revised by players of the games they concern and then approved by Mauti and the Admins.

2. I think the council would if anything slow everything down. I am not against the idea I would be for it if a good system was presented but think of how long it would take to pass one rule. We would have to wait for each clan's response and views. It would be kind of like how long it took them to put together the Articles of Confederation(only example I could think of) This might hinder the battle league and cause more confusion. I think it would be good for respected leaders to express their opinions but I am not sure this council is the way to do it. Also who decides who is on the council? I guess the time the clan has been around would be a good way to do it.

3. As for the cheating we can only hope that the cheat tests go smoothly unless some of the more experienced modders or people familiar with coding could work together on some kind of anti-cheat mod or solution to cheating.

Main concern for most people I have heard from.
4. As for the point system. Maybe the active clans could get bonus points. Like lets say |n| has been actively cbing for 4 months. Every week or month they are awarded 20 points for being active while inactive clans receive no points making them far behind the active clans. So you are rewarding for not only winning cbs but for being active.

I think #4 could be a possible solution to this loophole.

Also maybe it is time to assimilate some features from some other leagues. Such as auto-updating in some PC leagues and in the Bts league. The winner reports the battle and the loser has to confirm it and it automatically updates it. I also like the idea of individual stats so you can see who the top players are. Also in PC world when you sign up for the BL with your personal stats it logs your ip so you can't have multiple accounts. Just some ideas.

Thanks,

Hazard
« Last Edit: June 30, 2003, 08:07:23 am by ?Hazard » Logged

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."
~ Einstein
Jeb
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

i heart ghostsniper's austrian wife

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2003, 08:09:29 am »

The UN of ghost recon on mac...
I agree with pretty much everything that noto said there. I think the majority of the problems have been caused because there isn't such a structured community in GHR than in RS (or at least the size is much greater). In the 2 years i've been involved here, its seen its ups and downs, but i think with a greater foundation of dependible clans who play GHR things will get better.

We need to get evill to put in the anticheat measures, because it would break the TOS to make something to piggybacks on the plugin.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2003, 08:16:35 am by Jeb » Logged

No sig pics please! - Mauti
Next time you get a ban, Jeb.
|?K|*R@p1d*: i mean, i'm like the worst rs player ever
+MOD+26ralee

soon come

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2003, 12:08:18 pm »

OKay so the council doesn't look like its strong enough to make through the beatings it would take to get there.

I think that people actively playing the game should have an active role in Making the rules and Constructing the infrastructure that is the Battle League,   BUT
You don't always have to tear down a building to make it better, if you can just influence those who are in charge of changing things you can also reach your goal.

In other words we have been playing in a Battle league thus far and it may not be perfect, but it is working........So we have to give the current administration loads of credit (Thank You to those who make up DAMN)

However nothing is stopping the top clans leaders from getting together during this break between Season4 and 5, and putting together a well organized concise presentation to let Mauti and his crew go over during the updating break.

Now the hard part seems it might be that these clan leaders are going to be voluntarily working together and respecting one another and would not have the commitment to an organization(the council). So it would seem easier for them not to be respectful and considerate of others ideas. But if we could all be adults and keep our eyes on the common goal i think that this could be a very positve step forward in the Battle League,

I'm kinda a noob at least in comparison to some, but i'd love to be a part of the revolution..........(remeber a revolution isn't a revolution without blood shed)

Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2003, 12:33:31 pm »

Put a time limit on voting in council matters, and have each clan spokesman name an alternate or two. If a clan has not weighed in on a matter within 48 hours (for example) of it being put before the council, they're SOL. Alternates would allow a clan to have its say even if its spokesman is unavailable (out of town, fleeing to Mexico, at the Betty Ford Clinic, whatever).

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2003, 02:23:51 pm »

Cor what a lot of writing! Loads allready so i wont say to much Wink :

I think flies is right about the changes, I don't consider 4 or five seasons to be enough time for everything to be sorted out, there are allways going to be problems that crop up and need addressing. For what i have seen of DAMN huge fundamental changes have happend like flies said, in th last 6 months or so.

And so to the issue of a 'council'? I think it could be a highly effective idea, but at the same time if done wrong could be a disaster. Firtly like guys have said there would need to be a pretty lengthy time period for a clan to be active before being allowed to participate in the council. Secondly the Clan would need to be an active participant in the BL (when i say active I don't mean cbing in the last week to try stealing well earned points of other hard cbing clans). Thirdly the member from each clan should be a well regarded member, who perhaps is nominated by clan and approved by mauti?. Fourthly there is a limit to the council - and it is more of an advisory role towards mauti when he asks for it ... rather than a gungho rule factory.

Having a unbiased central leader to the BL seems to work increadably well - to have an unbiased view on problems and replays is invaluable... perhaps though as mauti dosn't play GhR to my knowldge that often - this would be an opportunity for the 'council' to fill its shoes...  Problem is now i feel slightly that we do have a sort of councill.. the many members of different clans who are BL Moderators... If there is not equal representation though i think people could feel uncomfortable.

One last thing i feel would be of great benifit (think it has been mentioned as well) is a simplification of the rules... I know there is a hell of a lot of them but if it could somehow be simplifed and clarified so that even the most uneducated of us can understand Wink .....

Just my thoughts while i try to put of doing the work i should be doing ;0)

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2003, 04:12:12 pm »

The Constitution of the *DAMN Battle League Interclan Council, First Draft

Article I: Powers Granted to the Council
          A. The Council shall have the power to enact new rules for and modify the existing rules of the *DAMN Battle League.
                1. Proposals for new or modified rules may be put before the Council by any member clan in good standing, with a minimum duration of two weeks between proposals by a clan and a minimum duration of one month between functionally equivalent proposals.
               2. Proposals must be seconded by an unaffiliated clan in order to be considered by the Council. An unseconded proposal remains active before the Council for two weeks, after which it may no longer be seconded.
               3. To be ratified into the Battle League rules, a proposal under consideration by the Council must receive at least a two-thirds majority vote by Council members in good standing, upon which it is added to the rules and put into effect immediately.
               4. Proposals which affect only one game's ladder may not be voted upon by clans which do not participate in that ladder.
               5. Votes must take place within a reasonable span of time from the seconding of the proposal. If any clan has not cast their vote within 72 hours of the seconding, that clan is not considered part of the Council for purposes of calculating the majority.
               6. The Owner of the *DAMN Battle League reserves the power to veto, in whole or in part, any ratified proposal.
               7. A ratified proposal which has been vetoed may still be enacted if it receives a 90% vote of Council members in good standing within 72 hours of the veto. The majority is calculated using the full roster of the Council.

B. The Council shall have the power to set punishments for violations of League rules, and shall cause those punishments to be carried out.
               1. No proposal for punishment of a clan may be set before the Council until a reasonable length of time has elapsed since the transgression against the rules of the *DAMN Battle League. This is to allow the Moderators and the Owner of the Battle League time to enact suitable punishment.
               2. A proposal for punishment may not be set forth by any clan involved in the event meriting punishment.
               3. The Council is forbidden from imposing excessive punishment upon its member clans. Nor may excessive punishment be imposed upon non-member clans.
               4. Ratification of a proposal for punishment for a transgression which has not yet been punished by the Moderators or the Owner: the proposal must be seconded by an unaffiliated clan--a clan which is neither involved in the event, nor is affiliated with the proposing clan; the proposal must receive a two-thirds majority vote of Council members in good standing, excepting any clans involved in the transgression, which are not allowed to vote on this issue.
               5. Ratification of a proposal for punishment for a transgression for which a punishment has already been decided upon by the Moderators or the Owner: the proposal must be seconded by an unaffiliated clan, and must receive a 90% majority vote of Council members in good standing, excepting any clans involved in the transgression, which are not allowed to vote on this issue.
               6. The Owner reserves the power to veto, in whole or in part, any ratified proposal for punishment, whether the transgression has been punished by the Moderators or Owner, or has not been punished. There shall be no appeal of such a veto.

Article II: Membership in the Council
          A. Membership in the *DAMN Battle League Council shall be granted to any clan which meets the stated requirements.
               1. Any clan which has been in existence in its current incarnation for at least one month and which has been active on at least one *DAMN Battle League ladder for one month during the current season or which was active for at least 75% of the previous season is eligible to petition to join the Council.
               2. The petition shall be duly considered by all Council members in good standing, and those members shall cast their votes regarding it within 72 hours of its submission to the Council.
               3. A petition which receives a simple majority shall be passed, and the petitioning clan shall become a member of the Council.

B. Powers and Duties of Council Members
               1. All Council members must be aware of the duties they are responsible for and the rules they must adhere to as part of the Council, as set forth in this constitution. Council members will adhere to the decisions of this Council.
               2. All member clans shall appoint a councilman from among their members. This councilman shall represent the clan before this Council. A clan's councilman shall serve for no less than one month, except in cases of extenuating circumstances. The councilman has the power to cast his clan's vote, and to second proposals in the name of his clan.
               3. Each councilman shall select at least one and not more than two seconds from his clan's members. These seconds shall serve as councilman for their clan in the event that the councilman is unavailable when he is needed. While serving in this role and until such time as the councilman returns to duty, a second has full status as a councilman, with all the powers and duties thereof. Each second's term shall be no less than one month, except in cases of extenuating circumstances. A second's term shall coincide with the term of his councilman.
               4. Each councilman is responsible for being aware of and participating in the business of the Council.
               5. Any member clan whose councilman and seconds are not participating in the business of the Council shall be rebuked and its Council membership shall be stripped.

Article III: Amendments to this Constitution
          A. Any Council member in good standing may propose an amendment to this constitution.
               1. Any such proposal must be seconded by an unaffiliated clan.
               2. To be ratified, a seconded amendment must receive a two-thirds majority in a vote by all Council members in good standing, upon which it will be added to this Constitution and put into effect immediately. All member clans must vote within 72 hours of the seconding of the proposal.
               3. The Owner of the *DAMN Battle League reserves the power to veto, in whole or in part, any ratified amendment.
               4. A vetoed amendment may still be enacted if it receives a 90% majority vote of all Council members in good standing within 72 hours of the veto.

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2003, 05:11:44 pm »

Blimey mr. Lothario.. You got a bit of spare time on your hands? Wink

Inpressive stuff... Looks like you have coverd it all! Would only suggest that a council mans/woman has just the one second, rather than two.

Im  right in thinking that this is kept completely seperate from BL Moderators? how would these two groups co-exist?

BTs_eight

Ka-BoOM!

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2003, 07:58:12 pm »

Agreed with the council thing...

I like the idea of it...

But as for the point system?

What's wrong with a ranking system?

You move up ONLY if you beat a higher ranked team/person. You DONT move up if you beat up on the noobs an avoid whats going on here on this ghr ladder...

Basically noob beatings... WILL NOT get you to 1st place...

You don't get penalized for loosing.. but you do loose a spot if someone beats a higher ranked clan an bumps you down a spot or 2....

Your allowed to cb as many times as you want... None of this 4 per clan rule...
Which makes sense with the points...

Meaning that it will encourage more clans to go out and do their best... and after they loose they might even want to rematch or something...

All this while keeping track of each players stats...

*DAMN VOODOO GOT CAUGHT!
alaric
Forum Whore

What good is life if you don't have freedom?

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2003, 09:05:46 pm »

Very nice work Loth!

Seems like a pretty solid idea to me, something that's been needed for a long time too.

Anybody else see any problems with it?

"I would rather have incompetence and abuse of power than a group of people who want to bow down to the French and the United Nations." - BTs Ghostsniper, June 17, 2004, 01:44:16 PM
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2003, 07:10:54 am »

OK, I was asked about this a few times now, so I may as well get around to posting it.  BTW Eight, the problems with a system just based on Rank are covered here a bit.

Here are the synopsis of the MP symposium on Battle League Rules.

First, why did we need to look at this?

Changes in the Battle League rules were made to give new clans a chance to compete.  So that older clans wouldn?t just be ahead because they had been CB?ing longer.  A good idea, but like all things, it compensated a little too much.

Instead of making one change, many were made.  The two most noticeable being the league was broken into seasons and a skill point system was made.  It didn?t take long to figure out how the point system could be manipulated, by design or not.  

So, to make a long story short, we found the problem in the skill points to be what they are based off of.  If you hadn?t CB?d, you could still get the maximum skill points by CB?ing a low ranked clan, just because they had x-amount more points then you did.

We were looking for a solution more like boxing.  Where you gain rankings by who you beat (sounds the same so far).  But, just doing it by rankings didn?t work either.  There were too many loopholes (how do you ensure that the #1 faces the top clans?  how do you keep a clan from being frozen out?).  So, we either make a huge, cumbersome set of rules, to close each loophole (which is what has been happening to the DAMN BL) or, we find another solution.  

So here?s what we came up with.  We call it ?Purse Points? because of its boxing purse roots.

Each clan in the League has a ranking.  Easy enough (beginning all are ranked tied for #1).  You are ranked by the points you?ve made, but that?s as far as they are used.  No tricky formulas.  It?s real simple.  For every rank, there are a number of purse points.  Ascending by 10 points from lowest ranked to highest.  So, if there are 20 clans in the League, the #1 ranked clan has a purse of 210, the lowest has 10.

Simple so far.  But how does the scoring work.  Simple.  There are two choices (we never decided which would be best, and I leave the question to you).  

Option #1 - The winning clan gets the purse points of the losing clan.  So, if you beat #1 in that 20 clan league, you get 210 points for the win.  If you beat #15, you get 60 points for the win.  You obviously get more points for beating higher ranked clans.  No points are lost ever.

Option #2 - The winning clan gets the combined purse points of all clans involved.

Both these options even work if it?s a multi clan CB.  

I?m more of a fan of option #1.

Another point is, at the start of a new season, everyone starts with no points, but their ranking from last season (new clans start in lowest ranking).

There you have it.  We talked about instead of the points ascending by 10, doubling every place, which is one more option.  

But, here is what this system does.  A clan can come in late, and still take first, if it is beating up on the top rank clans.  It won?t climb by beating lower ranked ones.  You can still take first, even if that clan is hiding from you.  CB?ing often helps, CB?ing high ranked clans helps even more.  

It doesn?t have to handicap clans with max scores in a CB, since it isn?t using their scores, just the purses.  In other words, just beating #1 once at the end of the season isn?t going to do it.  If they have been CB?ing often, you have to win a few CB?s against the top ranks to have a shot.  

So, all we did was take a look at the problems the new rules were set out to solve, and look for another, fair but simple way to solve them.

OK, time for you guys to post comments.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2003, 09:52:45 am by Buccaneer » Logged

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
Jeb
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

i heart ghostsniper's austrian wife

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2003, 09:44:09 am »

I'd ask anyone to NOT use or recreate the MP Battle Leauge symposium without permission or either bucc or i.

We have been talking with mauti to hopefully breath some life into the scoring system, and lessen the bitching about tactical use. The scoring system has been posted to hopefully inspire some comments, and ideas to talk mauti into switching into a rank style system like i've talked about previously. I and many of the other people who have seen this think its a pretty damn good system, and it has hopefully adressed some of the existing issues.

I'm sure its benifitary to the growing community of ghost recon players for everyone to post their thoughts, questions and ideas on this.
-jeb

No sig pics please! - Mauti
Next time you get a ban, Jeb.
|?K|*R@p1d*: i mean, i'm like the worst rs player ever
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2003, 10:37:08 am »

Thanks for your comments. First about the council - I think it is a nice idea however this forum always welcomes ideas and suggestions. Most rule updates as well as other things were done because of suggestions here made, as Flies mentioned it.

About season 5: it will have a complete new point system, one idea is the Combat Point System(project name). It will solve almost all issues with the current system and merge all advantages of a purse point/rank based/ systems. I'll write an article later about it because it still needs the community for fine tuning. Further the rules will be completly rewritten.

Some preinfo about the Combat Point System: the idea behind it is to make sure that you always have fun cbing and don't have to worry to lose many points especially if you are a top clan and are afraid to play #1 - 5. It is designed to prevent late starting and dodging cbs(probably it will have an autoscripted challenge system). Alright how to achieve that!?(I only explain the first two points of it)

The magic word is Experience points: It's like a role playing game: your experience increases with every battle, no matter if you win or lose. The first time you meet an opponent you get 15 ex-points, second time 10ex-points, third time 5 ex-points. These points will be merged with the skillpoints(algorithm not defined yet). So a late starter can gather much skillpoints by waiting but he doesn't have any experience points which will make him stay behind until he has battled many different clans(yes it promotes that you battle many clans and start early). Skillpoints are determined as in season 3, meaning there will be a multiplicator back for players so you get more for playing higher cbs not as in season 4 only 2 points more. May I even would merge the player points with the experience points so even weaker clans have a reason to do larger cbs.

So far a quick shot into season 5. More info later!

In response to Bucc and the purse points:

One problem I see with it is that you can get away with masses of cbs simply because you don't lose points. Battling tons of midranged clans will get you away. You aren't forced to play top clans.  With the current skillpoints you don't get much points if you beat lower ranked clans but you always get a good amount of purse points.

I have to go now but I'll post later all ideas and suggestions by Jeb and how I would realise them in season 5.

Bye,

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2003, 10:49:57 am »

One problem I see with it is that you can get away with masses of cbs simply because you don't lose points. Battling tons of midranged clans will get you away. You aren't forced to play top clans.  With the current skillpoints you don't get much points if you beat lower ranked clans but you always get a good amount of purse points.

Well, mid ranked clans give you mid ranked points.  And if other top ranked clans are CB'ing top ranked clans, they'll pass you.  Also, this is why we were thinking of doubling the points each rank, not just a linear progression, but a geometric one.  This would really make the top ranks more attractive to CB.

But, just like with any system, CB that much more then the rest, and you are going to build up a lead.  I don't think that's a bad thing.  

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2003, 11:05:51 am »

Yep but not if you have a 50% win percentage. It would be like the preseason where AK won with 28loses. Well if you can't lose points you are encouraged to battle everytime but the bad side effect is that your rank is only determined by the masses of cbs.

Btw I'm not sure if I understood your system right: ranks are determined by earned(merged) purse points but if you battle a clan you don't get their earned points you only get their purse points for the rank!?

1st 320pts (purse points for #1 210)

If you beat the #1 you get +210!?

All in all I think you should get penalty points for losing because then the system would be screwed as we made the experience in the preseason.

Bye,

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
Simple & Logical
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2003, 11:13:59 am »

that's the point.  if you're an active clan, you probably got time to CB more and show you're down for yours.  if you lose, you can make it up by winning.  if your clan is good, you can make up for your losses.  but with the current system, you are limited to how much you can CB.  CB'ing is about doing it as much as possible.  What about a clan that really wants to take out a top clan?  They only get 4 chances, and then they gotta wait until next season?  That's stupid.  Let the clan fight that clan as much as they want, and that will give that clan a chance to accomplish their goal.  Limiting the clan, will discourage that clan from sticking around.  The preseason was the only real season compared to how its been with the new "point system".  Sure AK won with this, and that's probably the biggest reason some of you disliked it!  Had it been another clan, you would not had a problem with it.  But being that the hatrid around here is more childish than the people that run it, it doesn't make you wonder why.  

A clan that's active, is a clan to beat.  And how do you beat that clan?  By becoming active and trying to catch up.   AK did a good job of this, and was able to anhialate the competition.  Poor KoS had a fit because they were so inactive and couldn't keep up.  WHo's bad is that?  The inactive clan's.  Enough said.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2003, 12:03:11 pm »

Mauti, this new points system and re-written rules sounds extreamly promasing... looking forward to it  Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads