*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 09:58:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  Cross-Platform Gameranger
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cross-Platform Gameranger  (Read 31352 times)
xoclipse

ownage

« on: July 28, 2004, 10:15:46 pm »

Hey everyone,
Well this summer has been similiar to most, very boring. So to take up my time, a couple days ago I started on a gameranger client. I am creating it in C++ using the wxWidgets GUI toolkit, which is cross-platform Smiley. Which means with the source code, little modifications are needed to port it to other OS's. I decided to do this open source, and share my findings with everyone, because i'm sure other people are interested too. You can visit my application's page at:

http://gameranger.sourceforge.net

Here is a screenshot of the program compiled and running on windows xp:
http://gameranger.sourceforge.net/gameranger.jpg

If you have any questions for me please feel free to contact me on AIM, screenname xoclipse, or just email me @ xoclipse@cox.net. I hope you guys find this very informative and enjoy the source code. Right now i don't have access to a mac, so i can't compile it for mac os x yet. If anyone is willing to help me, please let me know!

Bye,
xoclipse

Supernatural Pie
Useless Post-Count Whore
God bless the freaks

"Don't run, you'll only die tired."

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 11:22:15 pm »

Um... What are you doing?

First of all, that appears to be blatant copyright infringement, and Evill could probably sue your ass to hell and beyond.

Second of all, I for one don't want PC players on GameRanger. Even if this would be used just for people's work computers, there's the chance of it getting into the public, and then gameranger would be totally stormed by PC users.

Please... don't release that.

And also, for your own sake, consult Evill before you do anything more, regarding legality issues.

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti.
daf one
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 11:27:34 pm »

omfg, lahl, hillus
Supernatural Pie
Useless Post-Count Whore
God bless the freaks

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 11:27:45 pm »

Sorry for posting again... but after reading what I wrote, I don't think I was strong enough.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!

GameRanger was designed to be mac-only!

The entire point of GameRanger was to be a place where mac users could play games together without the chaos and hell of the PC world!!!

Destroy it now! Before it's too late!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 11:28:17 pm by -MP5-SNiPE-a2- » Logged

Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 11:27:52 pm »

I have to agree that I like GR to be mac only, but if you are capable of coding something like this why not focus on making a legal alternative.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
l ! l Ross

Macs Rule

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 11:48:45 pm »

Interesting. How much stuff can this client do on a PC?

I would think joining a game would not work. As games that use GR are modified to handle GR with added code and stuff that the PC versions would not have. And there is those plugin things GR use's.

Anyone with a PC tested this to actually see if its real? and what its capable of?

Will be interesting to see what Evill dose.

Ross
Daf One
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 11:57:24 pm »

It really works.

I just had my friend test it out on his Windows XP PC.

here, I just uploaded the screenshot to my geocities site: http://www.geocities.com/krusader321/untitled.JPG

l ! l Ross

Macs Rule

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 11:59:31 pm »

He tried joining a game? I am sure that would not work.
Daf one
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 12:05:52 am »

if the link doesn't work when you click it: manually copy it and paste it in url box and it should load. sorry for dbl post
Ross K.
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 12:24:02 am »

It appears that Xoclipse wrote this from scratch, and he didn't use any of Evill's source code. Doesn't look like copyright inifringement to me. He didn't copy anything, he just created something new from scratch.

I'm not really sure why Snipe thinks this is a copyright issue.
Blufire

teabag or bust

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 12:47:19 am »

Ross, it's a copyright infringement because it's a reverse-engineered version of Gameranger, which is against the EULA. Not only that, but it's named "GameRanger" (Ross, I suppose that's not copyright infringement, is it?), it uses the exact same GUI + icons + graphics, and uses the same proprietary protocol that Scott's GR uses.

xoclipse, I might try to compile it for OSX later tonight... I'll see how that goes.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 12:48:58 am by Blufire » Logged

cO.gabe

<< Auto Away Message >>

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 12:52:41 am »

I'm not a big expert on this copyright stuff, but I DO know that I would cease to use GameRanger if PC users were ever allowed to.

"The day I tried to live, I wallowed in the blood and mud with all the other pigs... And I learned that I was a liar, just like you."
Soup

eh?

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2004, 12:55:59 am »

didnt read anything
but probably vnfgj xoclipse
gl hf
Ross K.
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2004, 12:56:55 am »

Blufire: Yes, it's against the EULA, but did xoclipse ever sign the EULA? Heck, did xoclipse even USE the gameranger client to reverse engineer it? Who knows. It is named "Gameranger Client" which it is. That might be a Trademark violation, but not a copyright violation (as you know). It actually doesn't use the same GUI, it's just a similar layout, but the GUI is run by wxwidgets, instead of Quartz APIs. It uses the same protocol,  but that's never been a crime. Last I checked the protocol wasn't patented, and since xoclipse doesn't implement the protocol in the exact same way that evill does, but rather built the implementation from the ground up, I don't believe that it's breaking any copyrights.
Ross K.
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2004, 01:00:22 am »

Also, it's not a trademark violation. According to the USPTO (United States Patent and Trademark Office), "GameRanger" is not a registered trademark in the United States of America.
Supernatural Pie
Useless Post-Count Whore
God bless the freaks

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2004, 01:00:35 am »

Ok, how about this for an example:

Hemingway wrote The Old man and the Sea. Suppose I found a copy of it online. Now, I don't want to violate Hemingway's copyrights on it, so instead of copy/pasting the entire thing, I type it all out in Appleworks and slap the same title on it. It's still copyright infringement.

JunkYardDog

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2004, 01:04:49 am »

Ok, how about this for an example:

Hemingway wrote The Old man and the Sea. Suppose I found a copy of it online. Now, I don't want to violate Hemingway's copyrights on it, so instead of copy/pasting the entire thing, I type it all out in Appleworks and slap the same title on it. It's still copyright infringement.

so what if it is!
let Evill  worry about it
Ross K
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2004, 01:05:03 am »

1st) The Old Man and the Sea is no longer under copyright. It's too old.
2nd) Xoclipse did not copy the source code, he rewrote it from scratch. The equivalent to this in your (rather unrelated) example would be taking the basic plot line of The Old Man and the Sea and rewriting it with new characters, new locations, and a different style of writing. This is done with books, movies, and music all the time.
JunkYardDog

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2004, 01:06:34 am »

1st) The Old Man and the Sea is no longer under copyright. It's too old.
2nd) Xoclipse did not copy the source code, he rewrote it from scratch. The equivalent to this in your (rather unrelated) example would be taking the basic plot line of The Old Man and the Sea and rewriting it with new characters, new locations, and a different style of writing. This is done with books, movies, and music all the time.
THIS is  a FACT all the movies,songs ect are rewritten all the time Cool
Blufire

teabag or bust

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2004, 01:09:36 am »

Blufire: Yes, it's against the EULA, but did xoclipse ever sign the EULA? Heck, did xoclipse even USE the gameranger client to reverse engineer it? Who knows. It is named "Gameranger Client" which it is. That might be a Trademark violation, but not a copyright violation (as you know). It actually doesn't use the same GUI, it's just a similar layout, but the GUI is run by wxwidgets, instead of Quartz APIs. It uses the same protocol,  but that's never been a crime. Last I checked the protocol wasn't patented, and since xoclipse doesn't implement the protocol in the exact same way that evill does, but rather built the implementation from the ground up, I don't believe that it's breaking any copyrights.

Okay, coming from the perspective of a fellow coder such as myself, it is quite literally impossible that he could have built this from the ground up. You'd need to at least connect to GameRanger's servers to analyze the protocol, which in itself is effectively agreeing to the EULA. If that isn't, then using his client to connect to GR certainly is a huge signature of the EULA.

Also, it really doesn't matter what API he used to build the GUI. The fact is that it's IDENTICAL (no, not just similar). Check the screenshots.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads