*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 07:34:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip
| | |-+  Tech Talk (Moderators: *DAMN Hazard, Civrock, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | | |-+  Xbox specs and G5 dreams
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Xbox specs and G5 dreams  (Read 3624 times)
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« on: May 13, 2005, 12:16:22 pm »

... If IBM are supplying G5 Chips to Microsoft for the new Xbox, and these IBM Chips have three symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each... surely this is a sign that Apple is going to have some very very fast chips available from IBM for the future releases of G5's - and that all the hints we have seen about Duel Core chips etc could well become reality?

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 09:15:01 pm »

Paris, september. Or WWDC workstation level mac.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
Curious George
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 04:28:46 am »

No, this is not the case.

The chips that IBM is supplying to Microsoft for the XBox 2 would make horrible chips for desktop computers.  This is becasue the chips that are for the Xbox dont have pathways that can branch off like chips in  a desktop computer.  The desktop computers need these capabilities to perform a variety of tasks.  The gaming chips are great for the Xbox because they are good for one thing, gaming.

George
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 11:05:47 am »

hey george,

yeah i rather expected this - there was no way the xbox would be slapping litterally several full G5 chips into the box's - and all the talk was that these were chips based on the G5 chips.  - But surely what it does mean is that we know that the G5s work well in duel core configurations at least? -  There must be somthing big and possitive we can take from it? - if nothing else than IBM must have totally got over the manufacturing problems they first encountered  Wink

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 01:26:54 pm »

Especially since they are debuting the 7 core cell for the PS3. 7 cores at 3.2GHz. Spring 2006. All from fishkill, the plant G5s are made at too. Cell is a next generation desktop processor, looks as though it may make its way to mac some day. Apple recently added CHUD (Dev tool) support for up to 4 processors.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 03:14:19 pm »

Couple of interesting articles about that here and here

crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 10:00:45 pm »

If you're gonna have about $500 USD to spare, not to mention money for games and accessories, then PS3 is for you. I'm gonna go with a presumed much cheaper Xbox 360. Sony will have to pull a rabbit out of it's hat to compete with Xbox Live.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Unfortunately, most of them go hand in hand.
KGB

what's going on

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2005, 10:52:32 pm »

new X-box
http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2420&p=5
Credit where credit is due, Joka provided us with the link.

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 05:23:13 am »

They did, and showed it crypt. Go research all consoles not just the halo ring console. Speakign of Halo, is it just me or did Halo 2 seem like a let down. There's only so many times and so many online rounds of killing aliens/enemies or saving the world from a ring in space that a game can remain entertaining before needing to be replaced.

PS3 beats it in power and features:
• did you know the XBOX 360 won't be able to use a web browser - the PS3 will and also allow you to play on your TV as you surf the net/use as hud/chat on another TV or computer screen
• by default the XBOX comes with a gigabit ethernet port - though that useless expense unto itself is funny, on top of the ethernet, the PS3 packs in bluetooth and wifi connectivity by default
• the XBOX has 4 USB ports - the PS3 has 6
• the XBOX has a detachable HDD - the PS3 has a detachable HDD
• the XBOX uses a custom memory card - the PS3 allows all major flash card types as well as memory stick use
• the XBOX offers a ATI card yet to exist - the PS3 offers the NVIDIA RSX a card more than double the power of the current ultra high end cards
• the XBOX is 1 teraflop -  the PS3 is 2 teraflops
• Floating point calculations by XBOX "115" - Floating point calculations by PS3 "218"
• G5s are in XBOXs - the next generation "cell" PPC is in PS3
• PS3 backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2 - XBOX only compatible with original crappy XBOX games.
• XBOX keeps DVD drive (8-12 GB) - PS3 offers bluray format that is about 45GB (50,100,200GB formats in near future)
• PS3 preloaded with online system as good as 360s live - 360 takes many features to premium only level
• PS3 unlimited life expectancy - XBOX lucky to get 2 years due to liquid cooler

If you have any further concerns about the PS3 vs XBOX 360 let me know.

BTW crypt, recent reports are showing the 360 may be a bit more expensive than originally planned. Also all consoles need you to buy games and accessories, not just the PS3.

John Lennon
crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 04:58:59 pm »

Speakign of Halo, is it just me or did Halo 2 seem like a let down.

It's just you.

• did you know the XBOX 360 won't be able to use a web browser - the PS3 will and also allow you to play on your TV as you surf the net/use as hud/chat on another TV or computer screen

Yeah, that's a nice feature, which is why you will pay a good bit more for it. Doubt it will work very well.

• the XBOX has 4 USB ports - the PS3 has 6

Tell me why anyone would need that?

• the XBOX uses a custom memory card - the PS3 allows all major flash card types as well as memory stick use

PS3 loyals won't care what memory card they have when they see the power of a Hard Drive.

• the XBOX offers a ATI card yet to exist - the PS3 offers the NVIDIA RSX a card more than double the power of the current ultra high end cards

And the cell exists yet?

G5s are in XBOXs - the next generation "cell" PPC is in PS3

Who says cell is gonna power our next-generation hardware?

• PS3 backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2 - XBOX only compatible with original crappy XBOX games.

That's a biased opinion.

• XBOX keeps DVD drive (8-12 GB) - PS3 offers bluray format that is about 45GB (50,100,200GB formats in near future)

You are paying the price for it, not Sony.

• PS3 preloaded with online system as good as 360s live - 360 takes many features to premium only level

Sony hasn't said it will be free on theirs. Superior online service will cost a company money, hence the reason Microsoft makes us pay a measly $50 a year.

• PS3 unlimited life expectancy - XBOX lucky to get 2 years due to liquid cooler

Have you had an Xbox 360 for 2 years and have it die yet?

BTW crypt, recent reports are showing the 360 may be a bit more expensive than originally planned. Also all consoles need you to buy games and accessories, not just the PS3.

Really? The most I've heard was $350 USD.

Sony really is shooting themselves in the foot by showing CG Killzone 2, and then calling it real. I'm sorry but Sony really has a big mouth when it comes to their next gen systems. They are trying to pull another Dreamcast with the 360, but it's Microsoft, they can take a hit here and there.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Unfortunately, most of them go hand in hand.
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2005, 05:47:28 pm »

• USB - 4 controllers on screen low battery, charge as you play + a keyboard and mouse or browsing the internet on your computer monitor. Or 6 controllers across 1 or multiple screens (the PS3 supports 7 via bluetooth)
• We aren't talking about HDD crypt, the topic was flash memory, PS3 won that category.
• The cell does exist and has been shown by IBM many times.
• The cell is a next generation Power PC chipset, it is likely to replace the PPC970 in the future.
• That's the majorities opinion - PS1 + PS2 = more games than XBOX
• I agree, I do pay the money for something that is good. However, you have said otherwise before.
• Free is free, so now you don't like good services that are free?
• The current liquid cooling systems in production (including alienware/G5/all) can not maintain themselves longer than 2 years due to fluid leaking and damage to what is cooled.
• In the end, all reports on XBOX vs PS3 are say (on every major gaming site and all the little communities) that the PS3 will stay on top, and the XBOX will be lucky to compete with the Nintendo Revolution (which is a awesome system) in terms of marketshare.

John Lennon
crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 02:53:45 am »

What I meant about the hard drive was the fact that no one will care what kind of flash memory is supported once they see what a hard drive can do with a system.

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 03:20:18 am »

People like carrying CF cards to their friends, especially when the realize it's the same one their camera uses. I don't picture people carrying around HDDs, why not the whole console at that point.

John Lennon
kos.viper
Forum Whore

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005, 05:28:35 pm »

The hard drive is the size of an iPod and is detachable. Why not carry it around?  Also, you can buy memory cards for the Xbox if you really feel the need.

kos.viper
Xbox LIVE Gamertag: Brain 7
The box said "requires Windows 98 or better"... so I bought a Mac.
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2005, 06:29:09 pm »

The difference is they are not universal viper. This is any CF card  (almost). Hard drives are not as safe as carrying around a flash based solid state memory card. My iPods in years past are proof of that. If hard drives meant for mobility can break in under a year, think of the damage to those ultra-performing drives meant for one place that may occur due to constant carrying.

John Lennon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads