*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 12:49:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: HELP - Which Router Can You Suggest I Buy?  (Read 3210 times)
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« on: June 10, 2005, 07:14:08 am »

Hey Fellas/Gals,

I just bought a new router (Linksys BEFSR81 8 port) and it is terriby unstable and makes me get ALOT of chat lag on KDX. (just ask Sheix)

Ok, my old 4 port linksys worked like a charm, stable, fast, hardly ever get chat lag....now I get this router and boom! problems.

I first bought a 4 port router (linksys also) simply to replace my old 4 port that didn't work.  When I installed the 4 port, it would not allow me to keep my MAC address and so I went back to the store and exchanged it for another one (same exact one) since Linksys tech support suggested that it may be a faulty router that they sold me, so I install the 2nd one and same damn thing.  (BTW, Linksys tech support really suck, they have no clue what to do to help if yer on a Mac).

I then bring back that 2nd router and exachange it for an 8 port one and it finally kept my MAC address; so here I am happy that I can now configure my router and go about my business.  Well, if it was only that easy.  I forwarded all my KDX ports for both comps (1 for 10600 the other for 10700) and I forwarded my KDX server ports. 

After forwarding the correct ports, I still get unstable connections or connections taht take too long.  For example, at first I could connect via LAN to my kdx server but not thru WAN.  Later I could connect thru both LAN and WAN.  Later, I could not connect thru either but sheixhundt could connect.

We are getting like 30second chat delays, sometimes longer on KDX on the MP server.  It is making me so damn mad to the point where money is no object, I don't care how much it costs if it will get rid of this horrible horrible headache.

So, I was hoping that someone here can suggest which router (WIRED ONLY) to get and which model.  I desperately need some feedback from you folks here, I am almost at the edge of putting my fist through the monitor.

I have heard horror stories about Netgear and similar disappointments with D-Link, so I am hoping I can stick with Linksys since I have had nothing but good fortune with it, until now.

Sorry if the post is a little jagged and not flowing, I am so pissed right now and its very late, I have to work in less than 8 hrs, so I am typing this really fast.

I need HELP, quick please.....feedback is sooo appreciated.  thanks guys.

The King of Pistoleros
th.Sentinel

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 08:57:56 am »

Did you check your cables? Maybe one of cables isn't well connected or just died. I have had several problems like that at work, after changing the router and switches we checked the cables and one cable connected to an older mac just fucked up everything. After we replaced it, it was all better again.

I have had bad experience with D-Link as well, I bought a brand new D-Link a few months ago and after 30 mins two of the ports were allrdy broken. The lights didn't stop blinking and I couldn't get any connection trough them anymore.

Currently I'm using a Belkin router together with my airport. I've had the Belkin for about 2 years now without any problems.

btw. isn't 10700 the serverport for kdx?

What port numbers does KDX use?

KDX Client: TCP 10600 for Direct Client Connection (DCC) between 2 KDX Clients.
KDX Server: TCP 10700 for communicating with KDX Client, including chat, messages, and file transfer.
KDX TrackerServ: TCP and UDP 10800 for communicating with KDX Client, including giving lists of servers. UDP is for KDX Servers to register with the tracker.

+    + +    ++[+] +     ++[+]
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 01:25:59 pm »

Contrary to what sent said, I found D-Link to provide a vastly superior product.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

.:N|General Billy likes his salad tossed!

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 04:12:52 pm »

Nomad. I never have used a router with a built in hub. So I cant really tell you if my set up is better or not but I can tell you what I run at home. I have 3 comuters running off a linksys single port router and I bought a separate 8 port hub. I havnt had a single problem in the past 3 years. I run a PC running linux/apache on port 80, my gaming PC(game on it all the time while using ventrilo, no lag) and my Mac. Maybe you should try that.

.:Voodoo:.
Adult Gamers Alliance
*DAMN Battle League Administrator 2002 - 2004 Retired
Brothers of Chaos - Winners of *DBL Raven Shield Season 8 with 14-0 Record
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 05:37:27 pm »

All i can say is i run a Linksys 4 port router and it does the job. A little fiddly set up in terms of changing MAC address's so that the cable read my comps MAC address when looking at the router but since then i have had no problems. Only once in the last 3 or so years have i had to reboot the router. quite simply it just works, which is allways nice Smiley

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 02:59:14 am »

Did you check your cables? Maybe one of cables isn't well connected or just died. I have had several problems like that at work, after changing the router and switches we checked the cables and one cable connected to an older mac just fucked up everything. After we replaced it, it was all better again.

I have had bad experience with D-Link as well, I bought a brand new D-Link a few months ago and after 30 mins two of the ports were allrdy broken. The lights didn't stop blinking and I couldn't get any connection trough them anymore.

Currently I'm using a Belkin router together with my airport. I've had the Belkin for about 2 years now without any problems.

btw. isn't 10700 the serverport for kdx?

What port numbers does KDX use?

KDX Client: TCP 10600 for Direct Client Connection (DCC) between 2 KDX Clients.
KDX Server: TCP 10700 for communicating with KDX Client, including chat, messages, and file transfer.
KDX TrackerServ: TCP and UDP 10800 for communicating with KDX Client, including giving lists of servers. UDP is for KDX Servers to register with the tracker.

10600 to 10700 are the KDX client ports, the server ports is anything u set it up to, so for mine, i have my kdx server port as 32763.

The King of Pistoleros
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 03:03:25 am »

Contrary to what sent said, I found D-Link to provide a vastly superior product.

Hey myst,

thanks for replying. can you tell me if its a wired router? and which model? maybe I will try it if linksys fails.

The King of Pistoleros
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 03:05:09 am »

Nomad. I never have used a router with a built in hub. So I cant really tell you if my set up is better or not but I can tell you what I run at home. I have 3 comuters running off a linksys single port router and I bought a separate 8 port hub. I havnt had a single problem in the past 3 years. I run a PC running linux/apache on port 80, my gaming PC(game on it all the time while using ventrilo, no lag) and my Mac. Maybe you should try that.

That an idea, but then it defeats the point of having an 8 port router.  In your case I understand, but perheps I will try taht if it solves the issue.  Thank voods, I appreciate the feedback.

The King of Pistoleros
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005, 03:10:45 am »

All i can say is i run a Linksys 4 port router and it does the job. A little fiddly set up in terms of changing MAC address's so that the cable read my comps MAC address when looking at the router but since then i have had no problems. Only once in the last 3 or so years have i had to reboot the router. quite simply it just works, which is allways nice Smiley

PLease please please tell me the model and can you explain how you got the MAC address to stay and not zero after clicking on "save settings".

See the first 2 4 port routers I bought, both would not allow me to keep the MAC address even though after click on save settings it gives me feedback saying something like "saved settings was successful - bring you back in 5 secons, etc" but when the linksys page reloads it shows my MAC address fields (boxes) all zeros.

I also clicked on the button clone underneath those fields, as one of the tech guys told me to do and it defaulted the MAC address by automatically filling in those field, but agian once I click on save settings and the page reloads back, it zero's out again.

Believe me, your (and everyones) help is appreciated.

The King of Pistoleros
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2005, 03:11:42 am »

"D-Link DI-604 Express EtherNetwork 4-Port Ethernet Broadband Router ($10 easy rebate!*)
Item Number 495778'

(59.95 CDN at Staples)

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2005, 03:17:32 am »

"D-Link DI-604 Express EtherNetwork 4-Port Ethernet Broadband Router ($10 easy rebate!*)
Item Number 495778'

(59.95 CDN at Staples)

wired or wireless?

The King of Pistoleros
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2005, 06:02:13 am »

i think it was implied... it's wired.

John Lennon
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2005, 04:32:36 pm »

i think it was implied... it's wired.

No need to be an jerkoff Myst. If your going to be just dont post...

Nomad.... I really hope that your not using safari to interface with your router. It is very buggy and doesnt always do what you want. Make sure to use IE to connect to your router.

Adult Gamers Alliance
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2005, 08:16:24 pm »

Voodoo what was the last version of OSX and Safari you used?

John Lennon
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2005, 09:47:27 pm »

10.3.9, and the most current version of safari that runs on it.

And yes, I find that Safari is second rate compaired to Firefox. As for IE, I try not to use that crap more then I have too.

Adult Gamers Alliance
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2005, 03:03:49 am »

not had any problems with router access with Safari - but i have heard that people have (some companys say you need to use IE just becasue they are lazy to check it with other browsers but 98% of the time there really isn't any problems that ive heard about). Id hate to boot IE but if you do have problems with safari like voods said definatly use firefox.

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2005, 03:14:41 am »

Hey vood & BFG,

I am using safari to configure router, no problems with the 8 port, but there were issues with the 4 port and had to use IE when I was using that.

I may have fixed the problem, not sure yet, I have to use it like crazy to test it out for next couple days, so I will keep you posted and get back to everyone.  Thanks guys.

The King of Pistoleros
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads