*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 10:06:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Poll
Question: Should I get a Cube or a Mac Mini?
Go for the Cube...more upgrades!
Get the Mini...it's cute and CHEAP!
Are you crazy?  Buy a PowerBook/iBook!
You have too much money...buy a poor college student a computer!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: I'm thinking of buying a small mac for work, what should I get?  (Read 2216 times)
BTs_GhostSniper
God save the Royal Whorealots

SUA SPONTE

« on: June 08, 2005, 04:15:12 pm »

Well, I want to get a small mac that I can hook up to my LCD monitor on my desk (I have to use a PC at work) and switch back and forth between the two computers.  I like the the Cube because it has more upgrade possibilities than the mac Mini (processor, graphics card, etc).  Price is really not that big a deal...but I really don't want to fork out thousands for a new PowerBook.  So, any thoughts?

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
BTs-FahQ2

FahQ2

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 04:21:11 pm »

GS, just get a mini and then get a kvm switch so you can use your monitor and keyboard/mouse witht he same comps, just flip the switch and you can use either one.  Don't get a cube, they are poo compared to the mini, besides, you will pay too much.

"Beer is proof God loves us"

- Benjamin Franklin
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 04:29:42 pm »

GS, just get a mini and then get a kvm switch so you can use your monitor and keyboard/mouse witht he same comps, just flip the switch and you can use either one.  Don't get a cube, they are poo compared to the mini, besides, you will pay too much.

Well, I can get a nice Cube for about $400.  And they make some really great processor upgrade cards for it.  And I really like the graphics card upgrade.  The Mini only comes with a 32MB Card that is NOT able to be upgraded, and that almost kills it for me.  What kind of reliability was there with the Cube?  Is Bucc around?

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

(SiX)Sheixhundt
Forum Whore

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 05:42:14 pm »

GS,

Im not entirely sure, but Im pretty sure Bucc's Cube caught fire...
hence why we no longer have an MP RVS server.

(this was a problem with older imacs as well) power source shorts
So if that is correct, and you get one, have insurance on your belongings.

Again, I might be talking out my ass, but I thought i heard that the newest minis have the options for a larger card?

I discovered why the buddha laughs.
The truth is so horrifying, it's funny.
Civrock

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 06:08:23 pm »

yeah, check out the BTO options for the Mac minis on the Apple Store site.

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 06:19:48 pm »

(this was a problem with older imacs as well) power source shorts
So if that is correct, and you get one, have insurance on your belongings.

Yes, Bucc's Cube, which he was using for the MP Server, did catch fire.  But I think it was due more to how he had it situated in his closet with no ventilation and it overheated more than a problem with the computer.

Again, I might be talking out my ass, but I thought i heard that the newest minis have the options for a larger card?

Nope, the video card in the mac Mini can not be upgraded.  I have this directly from a friend that works for Apple.  That is the part that really bothers me about the Mini...hell, Ghost Recon doesn't even play that great with 32MB!

c| Lone-Wolf
Forum Whore

Frog blast the vent core!

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 06:21:23 pm »

That it did.  'Twas a sad, sad day for mac gamers everywhere.  We had a worldwide moment of silence for Bucc's cube, as it went to the big hard drive in the sky...*sniff*

Actually not so much, but it still sucks that we dont have huge MP hosted rooms anymore.

I suspect though, that most cubes dont catch on fire, Buccs did after a tremendous ammount of hard use and constant uptime for more than a year.  Soooo, unless GS is intending to host 36 player GhR/RvS rooms out of his office for a few years, I think he's safe from the risk of fire.  

-Edit-

Whups.  Damn you GS for beating me to posting about the cube.  I didnt know about the closet though.  Sounds like you're asking for trouble if you put a cube/game server in a closet...but that might just be me.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 06:23:26 pm by c| Lone-Wolf » Logged

Quote from: (SiX)Sheixhundt
Air is a mechanism of control.
and i reject it.

They cant hit me from all the way over the-
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 09:18:50 pm »

Don't buy a computer worth anything now. Buy a Mac Mini then a proper PowerBook when they go to the intel superfast mobility chips.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
Supernatural Pie
Useless Post-Count Whore
God bless the freaks

"Don't run, you'll only die tired."

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005, 06:23:51 pm »

I'm not usually the kind that votes for the dumb answer on polls, but in this case, I'm going to be going to college next year, and sure could use some computer donations.  Smiley

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads