*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 10:29:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  Gaming (All your Gaming needs are here!) (Moderator: *DAMN Hazard)
| | |-+  Video Help
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Video Help  (Read 3757 times)
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

.:N|General Billy likes his salad tossed!

« on: January 08, 2003, 05:00:15 am »

well, i installed my new ati 8500 with a few problems but ive resolved most of them. The biggest problem that i have right now is when i use NIGHT VISION in os 10.2.3 with my new card, it seems to be worse then regular vision. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have all the latest drivers and latest ROM installed on my card.

.:Voodoo:.
Adult Gamers Alliance
*DAMN Battle League Administrator 2002 - 2004 Retired
Brothers of Chaos - Winners of *DBL Raven Shield Season 8 with 14-0 Record
ShadowBox

No Hump = No Own

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2003, 11:01:46 am »

Voodoo,
What do you mean it worse than regular vision? could you provide a screenshot to illustrate?

No Hump = No Own

Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2003, 06:39:43 pm »

I've heard mention of an ATI bug which affects nightvision. I haven't seen it for myself (lucky me), but there is a known problem. That may be the cause of your difficulty.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
jn.loudnotes
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

I'm tired of being creative.

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2003, 09:40:31 pm »

I think that's an issue with the game, not your graphics card.  Night vision in all of the R6 series games has been unimpressive for me.  When you're outside, everything looks green, and in the dark you can see only marginally better.  Maybe my card is an ATI too...I'm not sure off the top of my head (Powerbook 15")  

But I don't consider it "worse"

< insert clever and original signature here >
<FBI>"Sixhits"
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2003, 01:24:53 am »

Voodoo I've the opposite problem - not really a problem, but hey. I find NVS so be vastly superior to the mark-1 eye ball. In almost every map, in almost every game, I use NVS to pick out targets. Its the contrast - night vision gives me vastly better "spotting". Camo works in GhR and NVS defeats it, even in day light (such as in any marginally shaded area or over long distances). An evil trick I use is NVS at really, really long range coupled with the OICW sans nades - you pick out the enemy, since NVS sees thro fog and haze at longer range than with your "eyes".

Just some thoughts.

Sixhits
BTs_Colin

Not Gorfs Brother

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2003, 04:05:08 am »

voodoo you gotta be more specific

he can't see buildings in NVS, just people, so its kinda useless...remember he cannot see through the buildings

i am on Radeon Mac Edition and do not have a problem.

i'm the DP facial when your searching for teen
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2003, 06:57:42 am »

Sixhits, I know exactly what you mean. Hell, it shouldn't even be possible to use nightvision in any day map. In real life, turning a pair of NV goggles on in any illumination brighter than a full moon will fry the light-amplification systems (and I think even a full moon is pushing matters). My take on the daytime NV: it's stupid that you CAN use it, and it sucks that you HAVE TO use it.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2003, 10:18:48 pm »

Six, your are right, but its no secret by now. I and almost everyone that plays ghr by now must know about the advatage that NV has on all maps, day or n ight. Colin is right, i can not see any building in NV in osx. I can see peeps no problem but not the surrounding textures.

I found that in os9 I have a much higher fps (40 - 60) than in osx. And in os9 the NV works perfectly. I can only hope that the patch coming out will fix this problem or that ATI has addressed this problem and is working on new drivers.

Adult Gamers Alliance
[DEA]fire::fly
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2003, 05:34:36 am »

Yeah, i just installed the ATI Radeon 9000, and have the same exact problem.  I was running the ATI RAGE 128 Pro before, and NV kicked ass, now with the better video card, i have the same exact problem as you.  It sucks.  I emailed Aspyr tech support about the problem, and the great company that they are, they have yet to write back.

.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2003, 06:09:38 am »

Sad to hear you have the same problem. I was hopeing that with the drivers of the 9000 it would clear up my 8500 problem but it didnt. Please post here when and if Aspyr replys ur email and I am still waiting to hear from ATI and will let you know if they have an answer for it. I still have a few days left on my complimentary phone tech support, i should give em a call.

btw: boot in os 9 and the night vision will work just fine. Its an osx problem.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2003, 06:34:13 am by +AgT+.:VooDoo:. » Logged

Adult Gamers Alliance
<FBI>"Sixhits"
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2003, 11:58:55 pm »

Six, your are right, but its no secret by now. I and almost everyone that plays ghr by now must know about the advatage that NV has on all maps, day or n ight. Colin is right, i can not see any building in NV in osx. I can see peeps no problem but not the surrounding textures.

Heh - its soooo bloody stupid. I'm on NVS in EVERY GAME at least a couple times.
[DEA] fire::fly
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2003, 11:37:55 pm »

Hey Voodoo,

Here's what I got from aspyr, not much help:

Unfortunately, your night vision problem is an ATI issue. I don't think that
there is a fix out for it, but you might try searching the web for any others
who have encountered this issue, and gotten around it.

best of luck,
Lawrence Johnson

ATI is my next target, i'll post what they say when, if it comes.

.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2003, 01:59:13 am »

lmfao, this is the responce i got from ATI today:

The Night Vision in my games do not work in osx 10.2.3 (game=Ghost Recon ). If I boot in os 9.2.2 the night vision works just fine but I dont want to have to boot in os9 just so I can play this game. ?

The drivers you are using are supplied by ?APPLE?. Please contact them for more assistance on this issue.

Regards,

Shabu Nanji
Customer Service Canada
ATI Technologies, Inc.
http://www.ati.com

on to apple i guess. It seems as though they are just passing the buck around and around.

i just updated to version 1.4 Ill let you know if that helps at all. - vood's
« Last Edit: January 30, 2003, 02:01:16 am by +AgT+.:VooDoo:. » Logged

Adult Gamers Alliance

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2003, 06:09:35 am »

Wow, that really sucks....well they say that 10.2.4 is coming out soon.  maybe that will be our salvation

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2003, 10:54:14 am »

Well, 10.2.4 is out, and alas no help at all with the NV problem.  I guess it means booting into os 9 for the foresable future
Meatwagon
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2003, 09:29:38 pm »

so let me get this straight,cause im planning on buying an ati 9000 pro mac edition. night vision only works in os9.2?

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2003, 12:25:47 am »

No, it works in OS X, just not to terribly well.  Its managable, but your at a disadvantage no doubt.  Everything is alot darker.  Buildings and surrounding objects are very dark, and people don't stand out as much as they should.  It definitely works fine under os 9.  If i knew what i knew now, i still would buy the radeon 9000.  overall gameplay is vastly improved (i used to have the rage128 pro)...a lot smoother play, way more detail to everything, but there is the draw back with the night vision.  Hopefully ATI will come out with a patch sometime soon, but it doesnt look all that hopefull as on now.  

So, hopefully that clears things up.
Meatwagon
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2003, 01:33:04 am »

do you know if the ati 9000 takes care off the problem of chugging. i experience it only on the desert boards. frame rates seem to be intermitant. it will be smooth then a skip . it is a very rythmic skip. like a chug. smooth smooth smooth chug smooth smooth smooth chug smooth smooth smooth chug ect.

ps what about busting up the gamma setting for the darkness the 9000 pro gives you.
pss ithink the 9700 will be out soon anyway.

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2003, 01:52:17 am »

lol meat, i like the sound effects.  I've never had any chug problems with either card, so not sure if it will fix your problem.  

I've tried everything with the NV, bumping up the gamma in options, turning up brightness on the monitor.  Nothing works, with that you just get a really bright washed out night vision.  Its some sort of driver issue, cause in os 9 NV looks great.  Players stand out like they have neon lights strapped to them.  But not so in OS X.  

I saw that the 9700 is coming out soon, and definitely kicked myself (got the 9000 about a month ago).  Maybe they'll have a trade up plan, like they do for the others.  Or maybe they'll get off their asses and write some decent drivers,  who knows.  
Meatwagon
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2003, 04:08:23 pm »

it weird i experience the smooth smooth  chug, like i said only on desert board. exspecially when i play Free Lybia MOD, any idea why that is.

i dont know if i can wait for the 9700, it will be heavily priced anyway. around $350. so...ill get the 9000, its still a good buy, right. i run Ghost recon in os9 anyway so ill not have any probs w/ the NV.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads