*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 11:17:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: About the CQB Mod...  (Read 12400 times)
Jeb
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

i heart ghostsniper's austrian wife

« on: July 07, 2003, 07:35:06 am »

its no secret that i hate mainman, or that i usually catch him doing sneaky things that involve my clan...
So i decided to take a look at the CQB mod that he claims to have made.

aside from the obvious (how he included RS/ ported CS maps in his mod that other people made), i looked a bit further.
Inside the the Equip folder inside the mod he directly copied all the contents from the latest release of the MP mod...
Aside from a few extras in there, everything down to the chicken launcher was directly copied from the MP mod, and by copy i mean drag and drop, not remade. File-sizes, and created dates are exactly the same on the files he copied from the MP mod.
As far as the kits go the rifleman kits were copied, all 136 of them

I'm not going to list all the files that are direct copies of what lothario made...
but here is a screenshot to give you an idea.
http://homepage.mac.com/farmerjeb/mainman.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/farmerjeb/sounds.jpg
the column view from the top is the MP mod, and the bottom is the CQB mod... Notice the similarities?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2003, 07:41:51 am by Jeb » Logged

No sig pics please! - Mauti
Next time you get a ban, Jeb.
|?K|*R@p1d*: i mean, i'm like the worst rs player ever
Saberian 3000

The victory is not to be a target, but to win

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 04:37:54 pm »

Well, I dont hate mainman, but I must admit that these files are literally identical to the files from the |MP| mod.  I mean as far as I can tell, it was pretty much plagerism with the files there.  Especially if he claimed that he did all of the conversions himself.  So I can see you're point there Jeb, it does make sense on you're suspicions there.  And unless he proves otherwise I would have to assume that it was plagerism on his part because of the evidence presented.

In the end, it's about what is fair for the whoie
S.p.i.d.e.r.

Chasing a trail of smoke and reason.

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 04:40:59 pm »

This is something serious?

I just hope the community does not degrade to where half the regular players opt for DaGRM and the rest play in private games out of fear of cheaters?

Still
Jeb
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 10:49:51 pm »

i dunno if it really has that much to do with cheating,
but i know the reason lothario has to work on a realism mod is to try to up the fun factor for people who dislike the reticuals and/or suck at ghost recon. Plus adding tons of pistols for close combat games.

I know that he did quite a bit of research towards finding acurate, and fun settings for guns to try to make things more realistic and have a faster pace. He spent quite a few months working on it, Then mainman copied all the work he did, threw in a few maps other people made and put his name on it.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2003, 10:51:13 pm by Jeb » Logged

|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2003, 12:14:39 pm »

This disgusts me.  He even admits to stealing the pistol files to copy for "his mod".  I know how long and hard Loth worked on those files (and how often he had us test them so he could perfect them).  

It's not like the little bitch even asked, just took them and said "too bad".

Well, anyone that uses that mod is just supporting that kind of behavior and can stay away from any games I host, I don't want ya around if you think that's ok.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2003, 02:02:24 pm »

The aspect of this that amuses me is that if Mainman had come to me and asked for permission to use the data files from the |MP| Mod in his CQB mod, I would have said that it sounds cool, and to go ahead.

Since he didn't ask, however, he can suck my nuts. The BTs guys have been really up-front with me about this situation, and I applaud them for it. Here's my official word: Mainman may not use any data files or contents of data files from the |MP| Mod in his mod, nor may any version of his mod which includes said files or data be used in the BTs CQB league. Mainman can do his own damn work.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
Brain
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

Respect: The most important thing you'll ever earn

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2003, 06:08:32 pm »

you may want to put a non use with out permission statement in the read me for the next vewrsion loth

"Engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance."  Dr. A. R. Dykes -1976
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2003, 10:22:38 pm »

Just got done talking to BTs Eight, you may want to rethink your applause Loth.

Eight has told me that they will support and use MainMan's mod, because it's all mods get stolen.  He doesn't care about the work that was put into it, all he cares about is bringing more people into the BTs league.

Well, I'm disappointed if that's what BTs are going to do.  It's one thing to understand that any mod publicly available can be ripped off like this, it's completely another to support that kind of activity.  So screw it, I don't want anything to do with a clan that has that kind of attitude and lack of class.  It sucks, because guys like SignTist and STURM are great guys to be in games with, but Eight just seems to care about the BTs League and not doing the right thing.  So, true to my word, I'm going to block anyone using the CQB mod from the servers.  Sorry, but if supporting that kind of bullshit is ok with you, I don't need to spend time in games with you either.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
Jeb
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2003, 10:59:18 pm »

when i talked to signtist he was very professional and understanding about the situation, its kinda gay that Eight would choose to support a mod thats filled with nothing but stolden work(not just ours).

It doesn't really matter because now mainman is planning on changing the filesnames so we can't prove he copied anything. I would hope that mauti will not host this mod in the download sections of damn.

I don't really care what he does now, because i'm gonna start have some fun...

Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2003, 01:20:33 am »

Signtist and Sturm were very up-front with me about it, and I thank them for it. Eight, of course, is being a bitch, true to character. ::shrug:: There will be ramifications.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
Billy Bongwater

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2003, 01:43:59 am »

I,for one,have deleted the mod in question and I hope others do the same.Supporting that shit is almost as bad as doing it in the first place.
maianmanmanam
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2003, 01:55:36 am »

ah, ok this is getting kinda tiring responding in 4 different forums.. so im gona get down 2 point.. remember folks letz have a good debate about this. Meaning... plz keep the past behind us.

Heres a post by BTs_eight whos supporting a league for this mod had 2 say:

"My whole thing is...
Yes Loth put in alot of work...
Yes the mp mod is a good one...
Yes so is the Map Mod...
Yeah so are any other mods an tweaks MM did to the CQB
BUT the MP mod doesnt have what i want to experience the CQB style...
So... Thats where i stand... NO MM is not making money off of this... NO MP is not making money off of this...
Then whats the problem? Can't Loth just get the credit? I mean thats what the MP mod is right? So MP an loth can get credit? He made it so people can have fun right?
Well i also think MM should get credit for bringing up the idea of having a close quarters combat mod... I also think he should get credit for bringing it all together.
Remember guys... This is to have fun... IN NEW AND DIFFRENT STYLE OF GAMEPLAY. "

Heres the news post on the cqb headquarters site

"Ive discoved another attempt from jeb trying 2 biotch about something. In the making of the mod i used other mods 2 learn how they were made. I found the MP mod 2 be a prime example since the mod was hand made (No using IGOR) In the process i left some of its files in the 1.1 version of the mod. The cqb doesnt have ANY of the mods highlighs runing. As tho they may be in the mod but not running or inaffective you might say. The iteams that were "Stole" were the pistols. i used the .txt files of the mp's pistols 2 re make them for cqb's purposes. Their are no orginal files of the mp mod running in the 1.1 version. Remember People this mod is made for fun and the mod will still be give out even if jeb doesnt like it. I 1.2 version should clear this all up. If yelling happens anymore of this matter i can bring up the fact..... the MP's pistols can also be seen in other mods that i have proof. So just to clear that up. If you have anyinfomation email me g_b_mainman@softhome.net"

After a debate on this, should i remove or keep the project online. And we arrivived at "yes".

The cqb will mention loth's pistols were used and a appoligie cause i do feel bad.But the fact is.. the cqb mod has his files for learning purposes and the new version 1.2 of the mod will be a fresh mod. So even if i got rid of the 1.1 version the 1.2 version is allrdy out with the corrected changes.

The league as planed well start hopefully end of this week or next week due to the problems.

Please go ahead with the post mauti.

-mainman

If u have any other consiers plz just post them on the cqb site since i monitor the forums more than *DAMNs or BTs.

-end of story-
S.p.i.d.e.r.

Chasing a trail of smoke and reason.

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2003, 04:12:00 am »

I think ANY stolen work is a bannable offence and any group that endourses such things need to be removed from any legitimate things that they might have been doing.

I would rethink coming here to post mainman.

Still
mainmanslastreply
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2003, 04:22:59 am »

-end of story-
                                                                  Do u not understand?

Who are u 2 say i shouldnt be posting here.
Using familiar guns is not a "bannable offence".
***post***
Jeb
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2003, 06:10:47 am »

mainman,

Other people's attempts to make a game fun are one thing, but you can't slap your name on it. You said that your not using the kits, but then you admit that you used all the pistols from the MP mod (which is the reason loth made the mod). And you also claim that a friend of yours used our mod for something of his.

If you make a mod thats a compilation you give credit to people who actually did the work. If you don't want to give the MP mod credit please remove any, and every trace of it from your mod, do the weapons over yourself and the sounds. If your next mod release contains files that aren't named the same as ours, but are the same i'd say thats  one more strike.  After talking to eight today he made it perfectly clear that he wants to support plagurism and theft so i guess your lucky in one respect mainman...

maianahdbfo
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2003, 06:49:40 am »

remember folks.. 1.1 is gone.. 1.2 is out so stop crying over spilled milk. And jeb... ur point sucks.. so get a better one.
Fusion

I am coming for you!

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2003, 06:58:49 am »

Jeb, I cleared everything up with Buccaneer and Mainman.
The new version that we support will not have any MP files. I would ask that you keep you assumptions to yourself, not that you will but i am just asking nicely.

Mauti.. I apologize that this subject is on your forums. You may remove any mention of the BTL from BTs_members off YOUR FORUM.. We apologize if we have offended you in anyway. Thank you for running a great forum and Battle League. Please keep up the great work( this goes to all of the moderators as well)......

BTs_Fusion.......
I'm a BombTech if you see me running try and keep up..
 Tongue

oops..........
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

.:N|General Billy likes his salad tossed!

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2003, 02:40:10 am »

Hey Fusion, im making my own "cqb" mod using Mainman's file's from the MP mod. Will the BTs league support me?  Wink Do you think mainman will be upset? Do you think MP will be upset? Do you think that I am breaking some unwritten rule of code? That is the point here. There is a unwritten code that was broke and should not have been.

Another thing, you said that non of the MP mods file's are used in the 1.2 release of Mainmans mod. How can you be certain?

The Agecny will stand by The MP's and will not compete in the any league using stollen files for any mod unless certain credit has been given.

.:Voodoo:.
Adult Gamers Alliance
*DAMN Battle League Administrator 2002 - 2004 Retired
Brothers of Chaos - Winners of *DBL Raven Shield Season 8 with 14-0 Record
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2003, 03:07:24 am »

Thanks, Voods. : ) That means a lot coming from you.

Fusion

I am coming for you!

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2003, 03:52:26 am »

Mainman gave credit when credit was asked for..

If you look at his original MOD that he compiled you will see a file called MLP01 Aztec.txt. This is a file asking for credit for the work they did. I would suggest MP does this asap to there MOD, or Place something that says no one is allow to use any part of the MOD.  

Now Voodoo, the agreement was made with MP Buccaneer to not support the MOD with MP files. I suggest MP DL the newest version and check it themselves. I have looked at it but I asked Bucc to send me a list of MP files and I have not received this yet so I really cant check out the new files. You know the ladder wasnt even started yet, and i wont let it start until the mod does not have any of MPs files. I thought that was clear to the MP guys.. Wait your not MP, talk to Bucc, he will inform you that we came to an agreement.

P.S. Loth please place a distribution policy in your mod please. And I am sorry it got ugly. But we have done the right thing.

BTs_Fusion.......
I'm a BombTech if you see me running try and keep up..
 Tongue

oops..........
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads