*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:00:29 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  Suddenly, I hate Apple
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Suddenly, I hate Apple  (Read 3542 times)
"Sixhits"
*DAMN Supporter
Forum Whore

Monkey see, monkey do

« on: July 08, 2004, 03:08:04 am »

So over the holiday I went out to the East Coast to see a few friends.

Brought my recently given iBook G4 along. I say recently given since Apple gave it to me after my old iBook had had three motherboards replaced, and a fourth fail. You see, the G4 was a replacement for a Lemon.

I used the machine vigorously for two monthes. Two monthes ...

After I had settled in I whipped out the iBook. And lo! The machine starts ticking like a clock -- click, click, click.

Visited the Apple Store an hour away.  Trouble with the hard drive. The Genius had the gaul to tell me, a guy handing him a broken iBook, a replacement for a previously broken iBook, that the part wasn't Apple's so I shouldn't be so upset.

I mean, I'd only just lost the first 20 pages of my first script sale.  Only lost two years of emails. You know the gig.  I have things scattered in back up, but the critical data -- those 20 pages, two weeks creative work, gone. Cap that with the fact that I'd been getting burned by Apple on hardware for a while now and I was pissed.

So now what to do?  I've been eyeing those new G5's. So sexy, with vast potential.

And then I think about the four catostrophic hardware issues I've had with Apple in two years.  About Two monthes of time without my machine. Do I really want to spend upwards of $4000 on a new Apple, just because I'm a loyal customer?

Fuck Apple.  I'm a loyal customer but where is the quality I expect in return for that faithfulness?

Nowhere.

So fuck Apple.  I'm buying Alienware.

"Perhaps, the most important thing to remember about that which we are faced with: Fascism, at its core, is a fraud. It promises the triumphal resurrection of the nation, and delivers only devastation. Strength without wisdom is a chimera, resolve without competence a travesty."
cO.Kuza

because we call blunts bleezies

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 03:33:21 am »

seriously, i feel sorry for you. I have a PC and it's horrible, (2.0ghz 760ram nVidia 5200 ultra)  there is absolutly no gaming communitys that are as stable as this one. sure there are a lot more games and shit but theres not fun in it if your not playing with your freinds.. dont buy an alienware just becuase you had a bad apple experience.

is it 2008 yet?
seth
Forum Whore

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 03:36:56 am »

very sory to hear about those 20 pages, and whatever is implied in their loss.

I've owned only two Apple computers during the past 7 years, and that is a Powermac G3 233 beige, and a TiBook G4 800. The beige is mint, all original hardware, alive and kicking (well at least it is supposed to be).
The powerbook, beside an overheat problem and the paint thats flacking (after warranty expired) is working great.

I've never had critical part failing, and i guess most of the people on this forum will tell you the same.
The point is, you've had bad luck with that particular computer. Its like with cars, as soon as troubles start, you know that you'll keep on replacing stuff.

Just give it another try, and in a sens you're lucky coz those new G5 just came out. That is destiny waving at you !

OMG another 4 years !!!
"Sixhits"
*DAMN Supporter
Forum Whore

Monkey see, monkey do

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 03:51:20 am »

I've pretty much made up my mind.

That being said i'm not tossing out my G4 ibook or my G4 tower.  Just that there is no way I'm buying another Apple without some serious convincing.

I've owned macs since I've owned computers. I'm a Apple Evanglists! I've turned the office I work at into all macs.  I love the systems -- they're just better.

But at the prices I pay, particularly in time lost to repairs, I can't afford another mac.

And those 20 pages were the first act of a screen play I sold to a film studio out here.  Loosing them has given me a swift kick in the ass.  

More than anything else I'm in the market for a gaming machine and have just seen my machine go down again. All I want is a gaming machine, one that really treats me right -- its a reward for setting up the film.  And Apple is just so my shit list these days.

"Perhaps, the most important thing to remember about that which we are faced with: Fascism, at its core, is a fraud. It promises the triumphal resurrection of the nation, and delivers only devastation. Strength without wisdom is a chimera, resolve without competence a travesty."
crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 03:54:22 am »

In 2 years the only problem I've had with my Mac is 1 dead pixel. I guess some people just aren't as lucky.  Sad

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Unfortunately, most of them go hand in hand.
BTs_GhostSniper
God save the Royal Whorealots

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 04:09:37 am »

In just over 20 years of owning Macs (dad bought our first one, a 128k Mac in early 1984) I have never had a problem with one.  Not a single problem.  Not a dead clock battery, not a crashed hard drive, not even a bad keyboard or mouse.  Same holds true for the Apple Computers we had before 1984 (several versions of the Apple II).  So, I say it's a conspiracy against Sixhits.  The Apple Gods know what a bad boy he has been in being mean to their favorite mac-user (ME), and this is his pay-back.  So the moral of the story is, be nice to GhostSniper for years of trouble-free macintosh use.

P.S. My lack of Mac problems can't possibly have anything to due with the fact that I get a new Mac every 6 months.
[/size]  Wink

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
|MP|Cringe

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 04:14:43 am »

Meh, Back in August '02, i bought my first mac. It is still my primary (and as of yet, my only) computer. A 800Mhz, G4 TiBook. I bought applecare, so its still covered for another year. On the sixth (Yes, 6th) day that i had it, the screen simply quit. Whenever i turned it on, it would be a mess of blue and white (and colors inbetween) pixels. So, i called Apple, and they sent me a box, and my baby made it to texas and came back in two days with a new screen. Outside of the fact that on the day they returned it, the Airborne guy made a mistake and gave my dad someone elses EMPTY applecare box and scared the shit out of me for about half an hour, I've had no problems since i've gotten it back.
(Well, ive had to wipe the hd a few times, and even rezero it, but that was my own fault, i tried to put linux on it)
The whole reason i became a mac user in the first place was because i had had it with pcs. My dell would make random noises, decide when it would and wouldnt work, and piss me off. Not to mention the viruses it had, and the Famous Microshit Security Holes.

So, Sixhits, I'm very sorry you lost your data; i know how annoying it is to lose irreplacable stuff. But, think about how much more stable macs are compared to their pc counterparts, and reconsider. Otherwise, i hope you do your work on your other macs, since i dont have too much faith in any pc.

Evill: Rapid, stfu.
KoS.Rebel
Forum Whore

+-Killers on Spree-+

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 05:01:02 am »

Hooah to Alienware. I plan on picking one up when a leave for college. I have also noticed that the people who work at the Apple stores have NO CLUE what they are talking about. Its like they hire PC guys to run a Mac store.

The extent of one's abilities is only limited by the restrictions of one's mind
crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 05:40:52 am »

Alienware is shit, it just looks nice.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Unfortunately, most of them go hand in hand.
cO.Kuza

because we call blunts bleezies

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004, 07:47:53 am »

All i can say is that you will have a lot more trouble with PCs that you will ever have with macs. They are the most unreliable peices of shit ever.. ive had to type this whole thing out twice becuase i got a "Serious Error" message.
The only thing that brings me into the PC world is the upgradability, this is what macs lack.(iMac,eMac,etc..)
and alienwares just look fucking rediculous

is it 2008 yet?
theweakspot
BL Staff
Forum Whore

the first mexican-american idol

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 09:54:31 am »

have also noticed that the people who work at the Apple stores have NO CLUE what they are talking about. Its like they hire PC guys to run a Mac store.

No kidding!  I go in there TODAY asking if my old original airport basestation will be able to work in conjunction with the Airport Express I ordered.  You'd think I would have asked them to explain the theory of relativity or something!  What pissed me off the most is that they just kept telling me to upgrade my basestation.  NOTE TO THEM: just tell me you don't know, i know you aren't REALLY geniuses.

Sorry about your mac probs, i have owned an Apple ][e, Mac Classic, Mac Color Classic, Powerbook 520, Powerbook 1400, Mac LC, Mac 5200, Mac 6500, and now my Dual 867 G4 MDD and the only problems i have ever had is a Dead HD on my LC and a fried ethernet card on my 6500.

I can understand your frustration.

|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2004, 09:59:05 am »

Have you thought about writing a complaint letter to Apple?  Express how you and be explicit with the events that transpired.  Make the letter firm yet professional and make copies of everything.  Go back to these stores and get names of these people that "helped" you.  Don't give up, you probably just ran into a bunch a morons and a little bad luck.  Keep the faith and fight!

The King of Pistoleros
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2004, 10:28:50 pm »

What BS. No not the computer dying, the fact you want to give up on a company because of 2 bad computers. If you saw posts daily like this on every forum concerning macs in the slightest I wouldn't be using one. I have never had any critical problems with macs and my parents who owned apples for a long time before I was the best at using them never did either. You want to get a PC see how much more enjoyable it is to worry about the latest worm or email virus. And don't say linux is secure because that is a joke.

On alien ware, it may have decent cases but it's the same garbage inside.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
"Sixhits"
*DAMN Supporter
Forum Whore

Monkey see, monkey do

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2004, 11:23:44 pm »

I'm not giving up on the company. I'm voting with my pocket book. I still own, personally, four macs. My immeadiate family owns an additional six macs. My company owns six more.

I'm not going anywhere.

But, I'm also not going to reward Apple, after I've had such a series of bad experiences.

To top off my personal computer troubles, my girlfreind has had her mother board replaced, one of the partners at the company has had his 17' tiBook into the Apple shop twice for hardware repairs, my dad has had his 15" tiBook in for a bad battery and a dead power adaptor, my sister has had he 12" tiBook's case replaced, my mother's 17" imac has been sent back to Apple for another problem. It adds up.

Ever since I bought a "Yikes" 400 G4 -- that first G4 model -- I've been noticing major hardware trouble. I suppose I've been spoiled. Up untill 2000 I'd NEVER had a hardware problem. Now, it seems every other machine has a major malfunction.

So, as for a new G5 ... it's just not worth the cash. My aging dual 800 plays the games I play great. And boy would I like to try a few PC games out!

I love the hell outa my macs but they just break too much for me. Bad luck only counts for so much, in the end.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 11:24:20 pm by "Sixhits" » Logged

theweakspot
BL Staff
Forum Whore

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2004, 11:57:07 pm »

I was sysadmin at an elementary with over 600 macs, and I have seen every problem you can imagine.

We had 100+ iBooks replaced because of the motherboard, we then had 20+ airport basestations replaces because they were faulty, 30+ iMacs due to crappy cd drives, on and on an on...

BUT

they were always reaplced in timely manner with as good or better hardware, and I never ever had to worry about the security loopholes and crappy vendors like with winbox machines.

BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2004, 12:15:23 am »

To top off my personal computer troubles, my girlfreind has had her mother board replaced, one of the partners at the company has had his 17' tiBook into the Apple shop twice for hardware repairs, my dad has had his 15" tiBook in for a bad battery and a dead power adaptor, my sister has had he 12" tiBook's case replaced, my mother's 17" imac has been sent back to Apple for another problem. It adds up.

OMG!  NOBODY has that many problems with macs!  I vote USER ERROR!  That, or my aforementioned conspiracy theory holds true.   Wink

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
theweakspot
BL Staff
Forum Whore

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2004, 12:34:12 am »

^^^

hahaha.. the old 1-D-10-T error!  I used to love telling people they had one of those, and them being none the wiser.

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2004, 02:48:23 am »

My G5 is perfect. My iMac was perfect(donno where it is now but it must still work). My dad's Tibook still is perfect. My brother's G4 Tower is perfect. My  mom's iBook G4 is flawless as I use it now.

I do not eat green eggs and ham, I do not eat them sam I am.

Ok sorry felt like saying that part.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
KoS.Rebel
Forum Whore

+-Killers on Spree-+

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2004, 04:11:21 am »

I had a crap load of problems with my g3 during the RS days...but that was a video card issue. G4 has ran fine so far. Point still stands, Apple needs new employees at the Apple stores. Im going there tomarrow and i love asking them stupid question to see if they know them just for fun. Makes me feel good to stump the "experts of Apple". Muwahahaha

The extent of one's abilities is only limited by the restrictions of one's mind
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2004, 05:02:27 am »

True, go to independent resellers.

John Lennon
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads