*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 12:29:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  Sixhits at E3 and GhR 2
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sixhits at E3 and GhR 2  (Read 1243 times)
"Sixhits"
*DAMN Supporter
Forum Whore

Monkey see, monkey do

« on: May 14, 2004, 08:04:17 pm »

so i just got back from E3.

GhR2 is both great and disappointing. You can see my quick review here:

http://matrixcg.net/cO/forums/viewtopic.php?t=128

The coolest thing I witnessed was the ablity to destroy buildings. A gamer whipped out his AT-X and blasted a guard tower's leg, and down went the tower. A little blocky (the tower was contructed of "blocks" laid on top of one another; they appear to slide off as it fell). Never-the-less, cool.

The only rifle I witnessed was an HK variant, not the OICW. It seemed to lack an underslung launcher. However, who needs a grenade launcher when you can carry multiple weapons!

Yes sir, we're crawling back to the good ole RS days: primary and secondary plus two more slots. On the X-Box demonstration I saw (that I watched them play over and over again) the player had a primary, a secondary, nades, and an AT-X.

By the way, there was no talk of the PC version. Everything was about teh X-Box.

An issue of contention many have had is the supposed third person view.

There is a third person view, it was the only view they played in. It's what they insist is a hybrid third person view. But it's still over the shoulder (the right shoulder) and above their head. It doesn't grant you too much of an advantage, but it gives you a much big view of the screen. It makes the game play like an action game .? ?

In my opinion, it's shit. No one on DAMN will likely ever use it. I hope there is a server side disable.

The zoom is VERY cool. They didn't show a slide zoom (ie, it didn't have "steps" like, say, the OICW or the SA 80). But, what it did was give us iron sights AND the classic Clancy reticle knock. Beautiful, perfect, elegant. You'll love it. (the nicest thing is it'll stop us from running around with the gun zoomed in: the iron sights cut the vision; it's a Ghost Sight (open round "O" with the reticle knock inthe center.)

I also saw what appeared to be auto aim. Get the sight almost on target and it would jump and grab the bad guy. Made it very easy to shoot more than one guy when they were bunched up.

Much of the interface is more of the game, with simple touch ups. You'll recognise the reloading spinner, the crouch indicator, the ammo count and body status indicators. The new thing is a top right mini map. Not sure what to make of it. It's mini, and didn't seem to display enemies until they were on visual, but I may have misunderstood the indicator.

Other cool things: You shoot down helicopters! That's right, grab the nearest chain gun and machine gun that Comanche. It blows up nicely, pieces flying, rotor blades arcing towards you. The helo even machine guned our position before it was inturn machine guned to doom.

Maybe/maybe not cool new thing: You can pick up the dead guy's weapons. Took a CBQ gun? Out in the open? Shoot the guy with the HK varient and steal his wep.

What else? Seemed evident to me we'll see a return to body armor levels. Some character wore thick ceramic pads, other thiner stuff, and some just their shirts.

In game interactions are fairly mundain. You can order your squads to advance, and presumably order them to do some other things. I never saw them use any other order but advance. You see your dude do his hand wave thing: thataway.

Medics: Yep.

Medics?! Yah. Here's the deal. Dude catches a bullet and is wounded. He hits the ground and rolls about. Medic runs over and patched him up. He gets back up. It's unclear whether he was "out of action" or if he was simply "wounded". This element seems to be the most "action" oriented, but it done right (a la America's Army) it'll be very cool indeed.

What else? I didn't see any female characters.

Graphics: Every character is highly detailed. Every character seemed to have an AT-X strapped to their back. The detail on the Ghost's clothes was simply amazing. However, enemies were all dressed in some variation of black. All in all the graphic are an evolution, rather than a revolution.

Last gasp info:
I saw the new demo. it had two teams of Ghosts moving into position on a North Korean tank column. One team rushes through the jungle until at the edge of the roadd. Then Ghost leader calls in Apaches, which race in.

Ok demo. Not mind blowing. It suggests we'll be fighting on the Chinese/N. Korean boarder.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 08:12:17 pm by "Sixhits" » Logged

"Perhaps, the most important thing to remember about that which we are faced with: Fascism, at its core, is a fraud. It promises the triumphal resurrection of the nation, and delivers only devastation. Strength without wisdom is a chimera, resolve without competence a travesty."
"Sixhits"
*DAMN Supporter
Forum Whore

Monkey see, monkey do

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 08:15:20 pm »

FYI.

I id-ed the gun the Ghost's use.

XM8.

http://www.hk-usa.com/pages/military-le/rifles-carbines/xm8.html

Also, the weapon looked like it had the drum magazine but was showing only 30 rounds.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 08:34:45 pm by "Sixhits" » Logged

"Perhaps, the most important thing to remember about that which we are faced with: Fascism, at its core, is a fraud. It promises the triumphal resurrection of the nation, and delivers only devastation. Strength without wisdom is a chimera, resolve without competence a travesty."
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 10:24:44 pm »

XM8 = kinetic energy (bullet-thrower) component of the OICW, made into a separate weapon because the HE component of the OICW couldn't meet the weight restrictions imposed by the Army.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 11:04:54 pm »

I saw the new demo. it had two teams of Ghosts moving into position on a North Korean tank column. One team rushes through the jungle until at the edge of the roadd. Then Ghost leader calls in Apaches, which race in.

Ok demo. Not mind blowing. It suggests we'll be fighting on the Chinese/N. Korean boarder.

Yep i think the location was confirmed by the developers  to be asian - korea does seems like a likely bet!

Watching those video's the 'sholder' camera does look quite neet - especially how it moves into the 'O' zoom - but its going to be bloody slow in a cb heh.

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
Brain
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

Respect: The most important thing you'll ever earn

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 12:04:41 am »

Other relatively minor gameplay novelties include the ability to climb up on ledges...

Finally!  now we can get snipers into actually effective locations

"Engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance."  Dr. A. R. Dykes -1976
Blufire

teabag or bust

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 12:44:46 am »

Yep i think the location was confirmed by the developers  to be asian - korea does seems like a likely bet!

If you look on the walls of some of the buildings, you can see Korean writing... I'd say Sixhit's suggestion of the Chinese/N. Korean border is right.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 12:47:03 am by Blufire » Logged

Toxic::Joka
Forum Whore

Now available in PC flavour.

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 08:59:31 am »

If you take a look at the trailer here you can see it is the north korean/ chinese border.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads